Authority

Fuji Seal

Rookie Expediter
I'm looking to start a small fleet for right now and wanting to know how to get my own authority and how does it cost. 2 Sprinter Vans and a 18ft to 22ft Straight Trucks. Please help me out on this one guy's.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
The cost is 300.00 for your own authority and you can apply online just like we all do that have it, good luck!

Unclebob

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The first step is to send me $1,000.00 right away.
If you're that anxious to throw your money away on a business you know so little about I want to be at the head of the line.
Otherwise do as I did (and so many others) and read every old thread on this forum that relates to this business. Then if you want to take a gamble buy a sprinter and spend a year leased on with one of the reputable companies.
If you're already doing expedited freight then you need to talk to a lawyer and an accountant that are experienced in the trucking business. They can guide you and make sure you get everything setup properly.
This forum is a great source of advise and knowledge but it has it's limits.
My advise is free and worth every penny. I throw my sarcasm in as a bonus.
I'm sure others will chime in with better advise and less sarcasm but I've seen lots if people fail when they over reach too fast with too little knowledge and planning.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Fuji Seal

Rookie Expediter
Thanks Uncle Bob for the sarcasm. First of all I know the business very well. Ive driven for a Expediting company for 7years and Hotshot Freight. The money was terrible so I figured why not try and do it myself. I already work for a company anyways make $22 per hour making labels and I'm considering branching out the haul freight for them also. So I already know the Expedite business anyways. I was just wanting to know the prices of getting your own authority. Setting up a LLC or Corporation. Cargo Insurance, US DOT certified. MCI number and etc. Thank for the information

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
The short answer is $300 to get the authority. Your insurance will run a bit more as well. The incorporation costs can vary depending on how you go about that. Just shop around on the internet and compare prices with folks like legal zoom and what not. Getting the authority is the easy part; getting customers and finding steady freight is a whole different animal.