Anybody drive van with own authority?

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
Would like to talk to any van drivers who have their own authority to see if it is worth the extra effort. I am tired of sitting and waiting for the unknown. Would really like to control my own destiny. Don't know all of what I would need to do.Would like to talk to different people and get info to help me if at all possible.
Iv'e triied to get info before but always seems pretty hushed hushed.
Any help would be greately appreciated!!
THANK YOU

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I guess whoever is doing it this way does not want any competition. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good question.

Not really, think about it. You'll be bidding against everybody else, your 1 van vs. carriers with mutable vans. And carriers have their own direct call customers that you'll never see.in the bidding process you can only go so low before you're broke, a carrier can take a hit to move a van to a more profitable load zone.

Undisputed King of Short Runs

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Even on some bid boards if you can even get access you don't see all freight offered because you'll never reach the tier needed to see it.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ragman how do you know that?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Would like to talk to any van drivers who have their own authority to see if it is worth the extra effort. I am tired of sitting and waiting for the unknown. Would really like to control my own destiny. Don't know all of what I would need to do.Would like to talk to different people and get info to help me if at all possible.
Iv'e triied to get info before but always seems pretty hushed hushed.
Any help would be greately appreciated!!
THANK YOU

jeffman164, Jul 18, 2006

Last line.....

Reactions: ntimevan

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive had my own authority for quite a while and even when I was contracted with a larger logistics company we had an understanding that if I were stuck, they were slow, no work available, ether way I'm sitting., I could look for work to get into a better area where they could match me up with work or get back home. This is often a professional courtesy and you will be expected to put your contract with your company first even if it involves cancelling a scheduled pickup.

UNDERSTAND you must to have your own authority, you will have your own insurance, and be able to absorb the risk of not being paid. Most carriers assume that risk as long as the POD is free of exceptions, as a solo that risk is on you.
Also not all carriers are willing to allow drivers to seek competing work. Also when it is all said and done cost of filing for authority, Commercial auto, general business liability, and freight insurance will be at least a grand.
either way I think having your own authority in your pocket is a good idea.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ive had my own authority for quite a while and even when I was contracted with a larger logistics company we had an understanding that if I were stuck, they were slow, no work available, ether way I'm sitting., I could look for work to get into a better area where they could match me up with work or get back home. This is often a professional courtesy and you will be expected to put your contract with your company first even if it involves cancelling a scheduled pickup.

UNDERSTAND you must to have your own authority, you will have your own insurance, and be able to absorb the risk of not being paid. Most carriers assume that risk as long as the POD is free of exceptions, as a solo that risk is on you.
Also not all carriers are willing to allow drivers to seek competing work. Also when it is all said and done cost of filing for authority, Commercial auto, general business liability, and freight insurance will be at least a grand.
either way I think having your own authority in your pocket is a good idea.

Good luck.
Bob Wolf

Yep .. this is better know as the multi carrier model

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app