Risky Business Answers to common IC insurance questions : Risky Business

chillout

Administrator
Staff member
On Time Media Staff
Why is there so much chatter on the EO threads about insurance structures right now?

T Motor Carriers operate under the Traditional structure where they provide the Primary Liability for all their Owner Ops.

T is being undercut by some M/I (Multi/Independent Motor Carriers) where the Owner Op provide their own Primary Liability.

What do you mean by "undercut"?

READ MORE...

Reactions: Treadmill

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
as the article even states, carriers being VOI certified could get better and more load ops then others that are just as compliant but haven't paid the $600 fee to be a member of Teana?....it seems VOI certification is a perk of being a member of Teana....I feel the certification process should be open to EVERYONE regardless of membership affiliation...as even VOI has the same short comings as "additionally insured" does it also costs me a $20.00 fee for this service.....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Cost of business to me. If a small carrier has 15 units is $40 much for better and more secure opportunities and business? I would think the discounts and other programs easily cover membership. They especially benefit small carriers as they don't have the same ability to negotiate discounts. Its like AAA insurance on your car or home. Sometimes it costs a little more but the real question is overall value. The ability to join AAA or American Express or TEANA is out there for anyone who meets the qualifications and criteria.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
You're putting a big damper on the 'restraint of trade' argument.

Like when GM raised its insurance requirements years ago. Each carrier chose if they wanted to do as the customer requested or move on. That restraint of trade argument is simply ridiculous. Smh.

Reactions: Turtle

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
as the article even states, carriers being VOI certified could get better and more load ops then others that are just as compliant but haven't paid the $600 fee to be a member of Teana?....it seems VOI certification is a perk of being a member of Teana....I feel the certification process should be open to EVERYONE regardless of membership affiliation...as even VOI has the same short comings as "additionally insured" does it also costs me a $20.00 fee for this service.....
No one is stopping another group from starting their own program. For that matter if a carrier can't afford 600 bucks what the heck are they doing in business.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
this business is all about payola, pay to play, u gotta pay da man dat owns da game! everybody has their hand out to truckers, even fellow truckers, that's just the way it is folks, get with it or get gone, just saying