ALS ICE Bucket Challenge

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Hello EO Members. As some of you may or may not know about the ALS ICE Bucket Challenge to raise money for ALS. If challenged you have 24 hours to donate $100.00 to ALS or dump a Bucket of ICE and water over your head in support of the cause. Most do both. So I would like to challenge Lawrence Mc cord, Bob and Linda Caffee and ALL the members of Expediters Online. I was challenged by Panther driver Jonathan Lewis and here is the link below that shows I did it. If I can do, anyone can do it. Make a video and posted to EO.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202512419078669&set=vb.1441080673&type=2&theater

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I won't take part in this rather silly challenge. If you want to contribute to charity, by all means do so. This ain't the way, though.

amj27lt.jpg

All this "awareness raising" gives me a headache. From now on, I promise not to be aware even if you use a dog riding a unicycle while smoking a cigar and doing an imitation of Groucho. If--- IF-- I do contribute to a charity, you won't know about it because--- Jesus said "don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing when you give alms".

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This silly challenge has raised over 20 million dollars and certainly raised awareness.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
There is nothing silly about this challenge!
Have you ever had a friend or relative suffer and die from ALS? It's a terminal disease. I lost my Mom to ALS. It's not pleasant to watch a loved one lose their mobility, or voice. To just lay there, their mind in perfect order and cognizant of their surroundings but not able to communicate! It's not silly!
Just ask Grace Berry! Jack Berry's widow!
I applaud the effort to get the public's awareness out about this disease and the money it's raised for research to hopefully find a cute and prolong ones life. Once you're diagnosed with ALS, the average life expectancy is 3-5 years. Some rare cases it's longer but again it's rare!

So kindly keep your comments about this challenge as being silly and dumb to yourself. Or if you're sick of hearing about it.....ignore it! But until you've had it affect your life.....you'd want every done possible to find its cure!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Donating is excellent and encouraged whenever possible and to whatever is the most important issue to each individual. Dumping ice water over one's head is just dumb and raises awareness of gullibility.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would rather donate my time and/or money directly to the cause. Fire hall, EMS Squads, etc.
Problem with most "charity groups" is after the "administrative costs" the money never reaches the intended purpouse or people. I am going to sound like a douche bag but, if you realy want to donate donate directly to the cause not the charity. Here's why...

American Red Cross?
American Red Cross 911 fund, Hurricane Sandy fund. The A.R.C. received tens of millions of dollars in donations, and the money doesnt make it to those affected. This is why I refuse to attend a Red Cross CPR class, nothing original, they just reprint the American Heart assoiation protocall.

Car donation to your favorite charity?
You donate a car average value is worth $1,500.00 If it goes to auction, a slavage yard buys it for 300 dollars, the towing company is usualy paid at least $100.00 - $150.00 , even if the salvage yard uses thier own wrecker. Cahrity gets $100.00 - $150.00 dollars, after the expenses are paid, the salvage yard makes at least $3,000.00 in parting it out.

Most "Ribon awareness groups"
The feel good buy this product because we have a collored ribbon printed on it Product sells for anywhere from five bucks to hundreds of dollars, and we donate ten cents from your purchase because we care about the cause. The organization pays the administrative costs and 10% at best 25% of the money makes it to the reasearch. Just because an organization is non profit doesnt mean the administrators wont earn a lucrative paycheck.

There are manny manny cases of the picture of a kid or somones mom is pasted on a collection can at the cash register they have cancer and cant afford the treatment or somthing that pulls the heart strings. People donate money, the person receives the money collected, and guess what they are healthy and live better than any of us.

Does anyone else see somthing wrong with the math??
Donate dirrectly to the program.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Donating is excellent and encouraged whenever possible and to whatever is the most important issue to each individual. Dumping ice water over one's head is just dumb and raises awareness of gullibility.

I did a cold water challange and donated five bucks to raise money for a fallen firefighters family in our region but every last penny went to the family.

This I had no problem with.
Bob Wolf.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

No its just dumb to you which probably means it's a great idea.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I'm so sick of the word awareness. It's not like you're making people aware of something. What you're trying to raise is concern. Most people are aware of everything people are trying to raise "awareness" of, but what you have to do is make people give a darn.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Wow, I'm shocked at so many of the negative posts about doing the ALS ICE Bucket Challenge. My sister n Law Pam lost her Husband to ALS a few years ago. Elmer passed away around the same time as EO member Jack Berry passed away from ALS. I'm not trying to upset people, just help raise money for ALS research. Fifteen people are told they have ALS everyday. I wouldn't wish ALS on my worst enemy.

Sent from my SM-N900P using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not against anybody giving money to ALS research. I just don't have any use for the grandstanding that the ice-bucket challenge seems to be about. Tell me that I either have to give 100 dollars, or get a bucket of icewater poured on my head--- and I will promptly tell you where you can go and what you can do with yourself when you get there. In my mind it becomes, not charity which is indeed laudable, but extortion which is to be condemned.

Geez, couldn't they have come up with a better promotional idea than this one?

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
We have a long time driver and owner operator suffering from it. It is amazing to see how devastating it is. I think it has raised awareness. I can honestly say I read the website and learned a lot that I didn't know before the challenge.

Well here is the Load One crew taking the challenge!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152723993516654

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not against anybody giving money to ALS research. I just don't have any use for the grandstanding that the ice-bucket challenge seems to be about. Tell me that I either have to give 100 dollars, or get a bucket of icewater poured on my head--- and I will promptly tell you where you can go and what you can do with yourself when you get there. In my mind it becomes, not charity which is indeed laudable, but extortion which is to be condemned.

Geez, couldn't they have come up with a better promotional idea than this one?

The results say it was a very good idea. If a person doesn't wish to participate is there own business but trying to convince others it's stupid is kinda pointless. The results show the campaign is a huge success.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
On something like this it matters little as to how you get there, it is the end result that matters.
I am sure folks with ALS are appreciative of any effort that gets them closer to a cure.
There's my penny in the pond.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Gotta question, then I bug out of this thread.

Every year, the church I go to has a fund raiser to help supply clean drinking water to people all over the world who don't necessarily have the benefits that we take for granted here in the States. I live in the Chicago area, and while we can argue until the second coming about whether bottled water is better than tap water you don't have to worry that tap water is gonna give you a fatal disease. Parts of the world don't have this blessing, so every year the church I go to joins with others to raise funds for safe water supplies.

So--- how would I go about squaring these seemingly diverse things? Providing water that won't kill you if you drink it to people where that water is greatly prized, opposed to dumping perfectly good water to raise awareness for an admittedly terrible disease?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The fact that dumping water here has no affect on how much water gets there should help square it.

Great charity you guys have going that's a worthy cause!