Air tabs on cargo vans?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Anyone running air tabs on a CV? Any pseudo-scientific results numbers? I gained 1.0-2.5 MPH just by using the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lube. I haven't changed anything else really. Driving habits and idle time (virtually none) unchanged.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I figure if they made much difference AT ALL every vanner out there would have them on.
Thanks!!

More opinions????

ihamner

Expert Expediter
We love our air tabs and wouldn't go without them. We have not seen much difference in fuel savings but that buffering that occurs every single time a big truck or motor home passes us has been greatly reduced. Until we added the air tabs I never realized how often I gripped the steering wheel as a big truck was going around us. We love them and they are not that expensive. india

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
We love our air tabs and wouldn't go without them. We have not seen much difference in fuel savings but that buffering that occurs every single time a big truck or motor home passes us has been greatly reduced. Until we added the air tabs I never realized how often I gripped the steering wheel as a big truck was going around us. We love them and they are not that expensive. india

Very cool. Safety!! The best reason for almost any expense.
Thanks!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There's really not much more I can add to this article:
Expedite Now Trucking Magazine - An Expediter and his AirTabs

It's why the buffeting when a big truck passes is reduced, why the rear doors stay cleaner (and free of snow for larger trucks with those roll-up doors), and why the road spray behind your vehicle stays lower and out of your mirror views and off the windshields of the vehicles behind you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have them on my van on the sides. I'm vertically challenged and haven't gotten out a ladder to do across the roof yet. They don't affect mileage much, if any, but I do know they don't reduce it and might give .1-.2 better mpg. As mentioned, it does reduce the effect of road spray behind and to the sides. That visibility improvement is worth the small cost to me. I'll have them on any van I have.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The tapered tail on my truck also seems to eliminate buffeting completely while rejoining the air at the back of the truck more smoothly.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I hit a rest stop to read that. Looks like I MAY expect savings of about $30-$50 per week. That's probably well worth the cost in my book. Even if my estimates are high, I hear the other benefits some are mentioning.

guido4475

Not a Member
Since I put airtabs on my spartan body ford i have noticed a huge difference in handling in all kinds of weather. Regardless of how windy it is for the most part I can drive with one hand on the wheel while being able to keep it straight. Not much MPG improvement, but the increase in handling alone is well worth the cost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Excellent, Guido. Ya, I've seen your truck out there on the road about a dozen times. I'd be happy with handling and drivability improvements as mentioned. Of course I'd love another .5-1.0 MPG.
Thanks!!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I'm wondering if a ST or TT would have better results for MPG because of the length and body design.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm wondering if a ST or TT would have better results for MPG because of the length and body design.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

The bigger and boxier, the more dramatic the difference, for the reasons listed in that incredibly well written and informative article linked above. :D