Air Tabs and mud flaps. Do they work or a waste of coin?

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Sorry don't buy into a half mi to the gallon just for those mudflaps all by themselves.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry don't buy into a half mi to the gallon just for those mudflaps all by themselves.

Just what I saw. Every truck is different. Prior to putting them on my average was 9.5 to 10. Since I put them on it is 10 to 10.5. Those numbers are VERY consistent. They hold true at weights below 6000#, whether I am running the reefer or not. High winds and mountains hit us pretty good.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Watch trucks that go by and notice what how their mud flaps are behaving... Many people put anti sail holders on the mud flaps which is another indication of how much air they are catching. Either trim them up to match the width of the tires or change them...

Start looking when a truck or tanker passes you or when going through a truck stop at how many vehicles are using AirTabs they are becoming a very common item.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
We put AirTabs on the truck after our first trip out. (4 weeks out). We really didn't notice that big of a difference with the mileage, (didn't really keep track, but we get about 10.5 now), but really noticed a big difference with stability. We no longer get blown about when getting passed by a semi, and the truck seems more stable in crosswinds.

We applied then on both sides and across the top of the box.

2007 KW T600 with a Cat C-11 and 10 speed Ultrashift. 10.5mpg on flat ground and no wind. We usually drive between 62-65. Truck is governed at 65. Mostly driven east of the Mississippi.