Air ride seat for sprinters

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
National Seating does have an air ride seat for sprinters. We tried it out last year at MATS. If you go to NATIONALSEATING.COM and search "Sprint Ride" it will bring up the seat that is available.

guido4475

Not a Member
National Seating does have an air ride seat for sprinters. We tried it out last year at MATS. If you go to NATIONALSEATING.COM and search "Sprint Ride" it will bring up the seat that is available.

Are you sure it is not made by bostrom? Just saying, because there is an ad for The "Sprintride" seat in light and medium duty truck magazine for this seat, a direct replacement for Sprinter seats.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
It is on the national seating website, and that was who presented it at MATS. It is the one made by them Bostrom.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't think I could ever buy a seat without sitting in it first. One size does not fit all.

Sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are air-ride seats necessary or worth putting in a van?

Yes indeed Vans feel the road more then Class 8 trucks they sit lower and have suspension that is not as well engineered. Think about it $50k for van loaded and $150k for a volvo class 8. Which one is going to ride smoother?? Things will get better with technology increasing. Air ride about to tap into the van market here shortly. The prices of the vans will continue to slowly rise as additional features are added. I think sticker price for a 06 Sprinter was around 30k. What are they now close to $50 decked out. Lets hope they will stay around that number or drop to compete with American products. It comes down to Fuel economy and reliability and comfort. Lets see who will take that and run with it. The Americans will most likely have to copy or aquire some ideas of the Germans. You see the Japanese/Koreans do it all the time just look at the auto industry.

Air suspension seats is a factory option on the new sprinters. About 90% of MB clientele don't opt for them unfortunately the expedite business and sitting for 20 hours straight wasn't taken into consideration. :eek:

Last edited:

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not really newer sprinters anyway ride pretty nice. The seats are on the firm side but just a better cushioned seat would make a big difference I think. I might consider 400 on a seat but not much more.

guido4475

Not a Member
Not really newer sprinters anyway ride pretty nice. The seats are on the firm side but just a better cushioned seat would make a big difference I think. I might consider 400 on a seat but not much more.

My friend with his 2014 Sprinter ordered the air-ride seat option....all it really is are a couple of shocks under the seat with a suspension on it similar to a big truck seat, no visible air bag.

I've ridden in a few Sprinters, the last one being Windsor's 07 model. I am always so impressed with how smooth they ride, that of a car. Sprinters do have the creature comforts down pat, that's for sure. I would give my left and right nut to have my Ford to ride like that. But, I can also put 3,000# right on the tail end and it only drops down 1.5 inches. It's a beast...lol...but, with 9 leaf springs per side in the back, I can see why...lol..

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If you can't afford air ride you can also take some seat out of a high end luxury car at the junk yard and bolt them in with some custom brackets made. If you have a friend that is good at cutting metal you can easily do it. The volvo s80 seats are cheap and very comfortable. I'm going to try to grab a set of those. The 02-06 Sprinter seats are pretty rough on long trips enless you can lean them back then they arn't so bad.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Affordability isn't the issue, I have luxuries rooftop air, genny, espar etc. I just personally have no need for an air ride seat in a sprinter. I like your suggestion though. I have been looking at some seat upgrades possibilities. This site seems to have some nice ones but again buying a seat without sitting in it scares me a little.

http://shop4seats.com/sprinter-seats/captain-chairs.html

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think a seat is very important, as important as a roofvent, a heater, a ac, etc. Those seats that you're looking at look like some motor home rv seats. Not sure if they would fit in the sprinter they look rather wide. These here are some of the nicest, you can't go wrong with recaro. They make a lot of OEM stuff in many different auto applications. :)

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...icle_Seats.pdf

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes indeed Vans feel the road more then Class 8 trucks they sit lower and have suspension that is not as well engineered. Think about it $50k for van loaded and $150k for a volvo class 8. Which one is going to ride smoother??
Okay, I thought about it, more than once. Your statement above makes no sense to me.

I have never driven a Sprinter so I don't know how they ride. Apparently the Pro Masters ride rough and at least one E.O. member is going to an air-ride seat. If you feel the need for an air-ride seat, go for it.

I have a 155" wheelbase Chevy that rides very smooth, loaded or empty. I have an extra foam seat cushion with a lumbar thing attached that adds to the comfort. I did swap out the driver's seat cushion with the passenger seat cushion around the 700,000 mile mark. I just can't justify the necessity, expense and hassle of adding an air-ride seat, electric compressor and probably a tank. If I were to go that route I'd add air-horns and an air-starter. Love the sound of an air-starter and watching grown people wet themselves when they walk by and I hit the starter.

I could see investing in a nice motorized seat with lumbar support similar to what is found in conversion vans or class B motorhomes.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, I thought about it, more than once. Your statement above makes no sense to me.

The Volvo tractor costs 3 times as much as a van. I don't know how he could have made it any clearer. Doesn't it seem obvious?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Your butt will thank you.

I have the full back w/lumbar support, and the 2" seat base. I've had it for 10 years. Best money I've spent on the van.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering how much time you spend in that seat--- open your wallet, take care when prying out that paper-- it's called "money"-- and spend some of it on a decent seat.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Considering how much time you spend in that seat--- open your wallet, take care when prying out that paper-- it's called "money"-- and spend some of it on a decent seat.

Very well said! You can expect to spend $1500-2500 on a decent air ride seat and there is always the salvage yard if you're on a budget. Mercedes will not just sell Sprinter seats. I've already looked into buying suspension seats new from 14 model Sprinter. They will not sell them due to liability issues.

Here are some options here but you will need to get on the phone with Germany or Japan to get these below. According to Brian at Recaro in Auburn Hills Mi they only market the Ergo MCII

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/u...specialty/products/motor-home/ergo-mc-ii.html

https://www.recaro-automotive.com/fileadmin/CONTENT_NEW_WEBSITE/pdf/kataloge/rau_cv_preisliste_d.pdf

Last edited: