After Market Catalytic Converters Gasoline Engines

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
Has anyone installed a after market catalytic converter on a gasoline engine? i'm about to, and the price difference between original equipment and after market is significant.

If you have, has it been reliable? How many miles has it lasted so far/

I have a 2008 Ford E350, 5.4L engine and the orginal equip lasted 480,000. I plan on keeping it on the road for another year at the most, and decided not to spend the money for Ford parts. The after market parts are guarenteed for 50k miles.

My system has 2 banks on each side.

Looking for some feedback.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Had them put on my old 06 express back in January it had 600,000 @ the time..was about $1,000 cheaper than OEM..been working fine ..van is still going..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most aftermarket catalytic converters are going to have a five year, 50,000 mile warranty. If it doesn't have at least that, I would look for another one (most will last 100,000 miles, but some have been known to die at 10,000 miles). I would also look for one that's stamped CARB or 50 STATE compliant, since those will tend to be better built and built to standards. But since you're looking at keeping it on the road for a year or so it might not make any difference.

You can more or less buy and install a new aftermarket catalytic converter every year and it'll still be cheaper than buying an OEM unit every 5 years. So, I'd go the cheaper route for a vehicle that I'm not going to keep on the road long term.