Advice on New Truck?

KevinMc

New Recruit
Researching
Hello All,

I am in the process of buying a new van for expediting & would appreciate any help or input. I have considered the Ford Transit & the Sprinter so far. I'm impressed with the Sprinter ride and handling as well as cargo hauling ability (4 pallets) but have heard a lot of negative about cost of maintenance. I'm really interested in something big enough to put a bed. I would be interested to hear what everyone else does and different prospectives on sleeping arrangements. Thanks for any help.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hi There and Welcome!
Wise Suggestion:
Drive another Expediting Owner's Sprinter or Transit first for 6-12 months before buying.
(That's the way I went about it early 2011 and since then, freight availability/income has changed)
This way you'll:
#1 Learn about the Expediting Job, Lifestyle and Earnings.
#2 Learn about the Maintenance and Variables of each Vehicle.
#3 Meet other Drivers otr and learn options of Van/Bed set up.
#4 NOT spend 30-40K on a Van and then find you Hate the Job.
#5 Learn if you need to sell the Bike or not.
**************Quoting you "would appreciate any help or input".**************
Why I even bother to write? To help and offer a suggestion or 3. I am straight forward and honest, not negative. I sold my Harley in order to build a much healthier emergency fund in case I needed 19K for a new engine (+ down time). In 2011 after driving another Owner's Sprinter I invested $45K+ in my Sprinter, so I am in it for the long haul.
Many people jump into this Kevin and find the sitting, waiting, not averaging their Pay over months instead of looking at what they earned this week or month, nothing's steady or consistent, their impatience at not getting another load for 24-36 hours, needing to deadhead on your own dime, their health needs, AC/Heat becuz you can't idle, income expectations not being what they thought it would be, unexpected high maintenance costs NOT what they expected or assumed it would be.
And here, they've just spent their Savings without a backup fund and want out.
Happens often.
So, now! in your second Post below....OH! it sounds like you already know this lifestyle and earnings....and as you said you've been around it.

- Lisa age 57

Last edited:

KevinMc

New Recruit
Researching
I've been around this lifestyle a long time & have a pretty good feel for the earnings and business side of it. I prefer to own my own as I really don't like driving others' leftovers. As far as the bed situation, I have an answer already, I'm curious about what others do in a truck that only accommodates two pallets.
I like the idea of this forum but it seems to have an overall negative tone to it. It seems like most posters are trying to scare others away from this type of work with a "the sky is falling" attitude. I know there is some work but if it were as bad as most say, nobody would be out here. I hope no one takes offense to my observations, this is just the perception I get.

Kevin

Reactions: TeamHutch

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If there is a negative attitude, it comes from reality. Just because there are people doing it, doesn't mean anyone should jump on board just because it seemed like an easy way to make money. Those that have survived, have learned how to over time. Even then it's a on going struggle. But new people often find their high hopes dashed quickly. Ignoring what they are told, only to go belly up and become one of the countless number of others that despite what they were told jumped in. I can't count the number of failed ventures I've seen come through here. That's my negative attitude for the day, but since people don't listen anyways, good luck.