Mechanical Adding air ride

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok, so in searching for a new carrier to sign on with, having a truck with air ride seems to be really important. I was searching and found this kit to add air ride to a truck that was not air ride from the factory.

General Medium Duty C&C 2-Stage Rear Air Suspension

The install looks pretty straight forward, if it wasn't for the welding, I could probably do it all myself, just wanted to see what you guys think of this. I would have to add a small air compressor so that would add to the cost, but it seems to me it would be worth it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
That looks like it was designed pretty well. A lot better than some I've seen.

I'm assuming that you're going to want to keep the truck at the stock ride height, correct? If you want the ride height altered, driveshaft angularity will need to be checked. This will affect pinion angle unless stock ride height is maintained.

Why does the carrier care if the truck is air-ride? Is it for the freight's comfort?

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good point about the driveshaft, didn't think about that. Yes it's for the freight, although I think what's in the front of the truck (me) usually gets rattled more than what's in the box. There are certain customers that will specify an air ride truck.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why does the carrier care if the truck is air-ride? Is it for the freight's comfort?
Air ride used to be rather rare. So rare that customers would request and pay handsomely for it. It's now getting so ubiquitous that the customer is getting it for free, just like so many other things in this business. I seem to recall drivers getting 15 cents an axle, or 30 cents for the trailer, as surcharge for air ride. Now, air ride is practically standard equipment.

Air ride assures customers that their cargo doesn't arrive in many unexpected pieces due to road vibration that a leaf spring suspension would give to the contents of the trailer, or a straight truck.

Also, a semi-trailer's tandem axles' leaf springs have to be stiff stiff enough to handle 34,000 pounds going down the road, but when empty the trailer bounces all over the place. Air ride solves that problem too, and allows trailers to last longer and be less beat up.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Good point about the driveshaft, didn't think about that. Yes it's for the freight, although I think what's in the front of the truck (me) usually gets rattled more than what's in the box. There are certain customers that will specify an air ride truck.
I have Allison DOC software here, it has an excellent driveline angularity calculator included. Changing the pinion angle is not that difficult (if it needs to be done), but it does involve loosening the axle u-bolts and changing the blocks under the springs. It's not something you want to do in a driveway if you can possibly help it.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Why not look for a complete air ride axel from a salvage yard and have a shop install it on your truck
I have a full assembly for a freightliner m2 I'm looking to sell but that would be a lot of work as the frame rails on the hino probably are close but not the same.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why not look for a complete air ride axel from a salvage yard and have a shop install it on your truck
I have a full assembly for a freightliner m2 I'm looking to sell but that would be a lot of work as the frame rails on the hino probably are close but not the same.
I would think they are pretty close, the hinos use the same axles that are on the freightliners. Do you know what ratio it is? I have to figure out what mine is but if i could reduce the rpms at highway speed that would solve 2 issues at once.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Of course air ride shocks air brakes new brakes and drums it's all there still bolted to the frame. Vin hn34569 just give that to any dealer and they can give you the line set info I think the frame rail is 33" outside to outside

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Of course air ride shocks air brakes new brakes and drums it's all there still bolted to the frame. Vin hn34569 just give that to any dealer and they can give you the line set info I think the frame rail is 33" outside to outside

That's what I was afraid of, my truck has hydraulic brakes.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't know having an electric compressor would be legal in a braking application but would be ok for the airbags I'm sure air bags only require about 50 lbs to fill and support brake systems need 125 lbs

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
It's a truck say no moe!
The '05 Hinos had a somewhat weak compressor drive idler gear setup, so it would be prudent to get one off of a later truck. Preferably a '15 and up model year, but good luck finding a used one. The mounting bolt for this gear can be replaced with a redesigned, stronger one, but the whole thing was improved on the latest trucks.

The fuel lines, high pressure pump and all can be reused. The compressor adapter comes off and goes in the trash pile. The compressor just bolts up. The coolant lines, air intake hose and stuff would all have to be located.

It's easy on paper. If he can get by with electric, that's the way to go.