2010 sprinter dpf filter clogged

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you are on the highway in top gear at ~1250 rpm what is your speed? Is there just one final drive ratio or do they offer choices like GM etc.?

cannedmeat27

Expert Expediter
I wish my sprinter had the variable idle switch. I have no choice but to idle sometimes. Driving a refrigerated van For Fedex u don't have a choice on reefer loads.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I heard you can have a Mercedes or freightliner dealer install one but it is much more expensive than when it is initially installed at the factory.

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
No way I would idle all the time your just asking for trouble. Get a espar or buy a good generator and a portable a/c and a heater.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
dont idle is a big one and make sure you are using the correct mb number oil,,alot of people think they are but are using the wrong oil {mobil one esp not just any mobil one oil}. i got 300,000 out of my dpf before it got plugged in my 2007 sprinter, and i removed it and sent it away and got it cleaned for around $500 including the shipping

Briggie,
Did you un-install that part of exhaust system yourself?...this was my original plan but I could not see how to disconnect at engine block on 2010 model...freight liner told me they put 12 man hours into un-install/reinstall and that it booked at 8 hours.

Labor was the killer for me. I was originally told it would be about $250 for this procedure....Imagine my surprise.....

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Another option I found was a DPF delete kit that removes the filter altogether. It replaces sensors on filter with dummy sensors that "fool" the computer.
I questioned the legality of doing this and opted for cleaning instead. Given that I would expect increased power and better fuel mileage I may rethink this option next time around.....

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
No way I would idle all the time your just asking for trouble. Get a espar or buy a good generator and a portable a/c and a heater.

The frustrating part for me is that I read EO posts and have been around for awhile...with in the first 3 months of purchase I equipped this van with an Espar, a Honda 2000i and a rooftop a/c. I idled but a minuscule amount and still clogged on the early side of normal life span...

Grrrrrr!!

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
Briggie,
Did you un-install that part of exhaust system yourself?...this was my original plan but I could not see how to disconnect at engine block on 2010 model...freight liner told me they put 12 man hours into un-install/reinstall and that it booked at 8 hours.

Labor was the killer for me. I was originally told it would be about $250 for this procedure....Imagine my surprise.....

yes i did mine but my dpf is underneath and not hard to get at, maybe the 2010 models are in a different place, but i can take mine off in about 30 minutes

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I thought the dealership could burn the filter clean via the ECU. They can make it over heat for the cleanning. Also, the ECU should burn it when a clog is detected. That was the plan?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I thought the dealership could burn the filter clean via the ECU. They can make it over heat for the cleanning. Also, the ECU should burn it when a clog is detected. That was the plan?

Eventually enough ash builds up and it has to be removed and cleaned with a cleaning machine, or replaced. After its been cleaned with the machine, there is virtually no difference between that and a new one.

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
I have a DPF on my isuzu tilt, and there is a light that comes on and if it does not to shut off engine is idiot light on, also a switch for this procedure. If you have the same type setup check it out..

jhamlin

Seasoned Expediter
Hello there Hightech, just to let ya know, my 2007 Sprinter DPF just gave up the ghost. Tried having it cleaned, but there was too much of the ceramic melted inside. I had the dealer reinstall it, and plan to look for either a new or used one on the "grey" market. $2,500 is a bit too much for me to swallow right now. Meanwhile, I'm thinking about just drilling some holes in the old one to let some pressure off the exhaust side. See any danger in that? Do you know of anyone who's installed a "delete" on thier van?

japper

New Recruit
Hi,
the only "right way'' to disable DPF, AdBlue or EGR is by remapping the ECU. After disabling any of these systems the calibration files inside the ECU need to be optimized. You can expect 10% MPG increase out of it.
I've seen aftermarket DPF on Ebay from UK for less then $400 ( not sure of the quality though).
By disabling the EGR only and a nice remap the car will go less often in to regeneration as there will be significantly less soot produced, thus extending the life of the DPF.
My "tuned" Sprinter did 20000 miles since, saving me around 2MPG!
Best thing is that all components can stay intact (except DPF) and if someone is checking with scanner everything is operational.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2011 Sprinter 320K mi. - 19.4mpg light load.
Summer I leave her idling with Air on for my Dog while I run in and out
of Shipping/Recieveing/Restroom/FastFood (no dilly dallying )
Other than that, NO IDLING.
Air Conditioning is Roof Top using Generator on swing-out rear hitch.
Heat is Espar D2 Bunk Heater...moving up to a D4...approx.1 Gallon Diesel used/24 hrs..
I included photos below of the Mobil 1 Correct Oil and it's Part Number. Buy it thru NAPA and when On Sale
purchase it for $5.99, otherwise it's about $9+/quart.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid I refill at the Truck Pumps for about $2.69/gal..
I thought I read a while back that the filter/soot has to be heated up and exhausted every approx. 300mi., so obviously you gotta get your rpm's up out there on the highway 65-70mph. Gotta Burp the Baby!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 27

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2011 Sprinter 320K mi. - 19.4mpg light load.
Summer I leave her idling with Air on for my Dog while I run in and out
of Shipping/Recieveing/Restroom/FastFood (no dilly dallying )
Other than that, NO IDLING.
Air Conditioning is Roof Top using Generator on swing-out rear hitch.
Heat is Espar D2 Bunk Heater...moving up to a D4...approx.1 Gallon Diesel used/24 hrs..
I included photos below of the Mobil 1 Correct Oil and it's Part Number. Buy it thru NAPA and when On Sale
purchase it for $5.99, otherwise it's about $9+/quart.
Diesel Exhaust Fluid I refill at the Truck Pumps for about $2.69/gal..
I thought I read a while back that the filter/soot has to be heated up and exhausted every approx. 300mi., so obviously you gotta get your rpm's up out there on the highway 65-70mph. Gotta Burp the Baby!
If you've already got an Espar....Thermo King has a special running...$799.00 for an upgrade installed....

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you've already got an Espar....Thermo King has a special running...$799.00 for an upgrade installed....
Thank you Ken for that info.. That seems like a fair price just for a Heater Box Upgrade/install.
Will have to see how long that Sale Price is offered for and where the nearest Thermo King is to Toledo.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Best thing besides the service is a NATIONAL service warranty....by blower motor went out in OK City and they have one close to the J there....

Thermo King of Ohio
3835 Rockland Circle Millbury, OH 43447
419) 837-2108