2010 isx- 450 hp

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A fellow truck hauler was telling me about his newer truck, a 2010 Volvo with an ISX, no def.

He bought it at 488,000 miles. It used a gallon of oil every 5,000 miles. He changes the oil every 15,000 miles. 95,000 miles later he only uses a gallon every 10,000 miles. He thinks the previous owner didn't change oil often enough. Are his rings just freeing up from cleaner or better oil ?

He says it takes 9 gallons of fuel to do a regen. He said it often regens 3 times a day.
I said that didn't sound right. He says Cummins says that's about right with his oil consumption.

He gets good mpg.

Any comments ?
Another friend is looking at a similar set up.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
sounds like a possibility. truck could have sat for a bit. the poor maintenance could be part of it.
however, i would stay away from the ISX cause of the cam issues they have had with that engine.

Scotimier

Rookie Expediter
A friend of mine and I both had similar Freightliners with Detroit series 60 motors. We both would have to add oil before the next PM service if we ran Rotella, but wouldn't have to add oil if we ran Mobil Delvac motor oil. I eventually sold my truck to him at 635k miles, and it made it to 1.4 million miles before he had it inframed last year. I always changed my oil in the 10k to 12k mile range. I only ran it to 15k a few times out of necessity, and never liked to run that many miles between oil changes. The oil would get really cruddy looking, and my fuel mileage would begin to drop off as well.
Right now, I run for a small company(12 Cat and cummins powered trucks) that uses the 15k mile pm service interval, and every truck we have uses oil between services. Personally, I think 15k miles is too many, but I don't own the company or pay the bills... I know of some fleets that run 20k mile intervals, but they also trade their trucks in before they're out of warranty.

Deville

Not a Member
sounds like a possibility. truck could have sat for a bit. the poor maintenance could be part of it.
however, i would stay away from the ISX cause of the cam issues they have had with that engine.

I've been doing some research on the ISX motor. The people who have posted about them in various forums have all had nice things to say about them for the most part.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I've been doing some research on the ISX motor. The people who have posted about them in various forums have all had nice things to say about them for the most part.

google, 2010 ISX cam issues and read the truckers report plus a few others. they also have oil filter plugging issues along with egr issues.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

Change your research methods. The complaints and major issues with that motor are pretty bad.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sounds like a maintenance issue. 9 Gallons of fuel for a regen and it kicks on several times a day?
At 600 K it may be long over due for a filter cleaning or if the regen was neglected it may be bigger issues.
Found this clip on truckers report. Hope it helps.
excessive regen cycles 14.9L ISX 2008 volvo

Now a quick lesson on engine oil and lubes in general.
Oil is an Oxy morn.
Its a sealant, its a solvent, its a lubricant, its a coolant it transmits heat, its providing extreme hydraulic force and pressure, its providing a soft cushion. Oil dose allot of different things and it is happening all at one time.
So running oil to the 15,000 mile limit might look good on the PM budget. But how about the component R&R I would rather have the oil test guy tell me I can run further on the oil I already changed
Rather than have them tell me the wear metals are off the chart and I had better find a buyer quickly.

Bob Wolf.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Also what about that Pesky EGR system?
Valve, plumbing, cooler? I know coolant will destroy a catalytic converter Im sure it will cause havoc with the smog scrubber too. From my understanding there are precious metals in the scrubber like a catalytic converter for a gasoline engine.
Maybe, possibly a weak head gasket?

Bob Wolf.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He seems fine with the truck. Claims Cummins told him he's fine and he's just running.
Pulling a dropdeck hauling vans, cut vans stacked, Isuzu COEs, and Hinos ( stacked) he gets 6.5-7 on winter blend and 7.5-8 on summer blend. Figured with a calculator every tank. No adjustment for the regen fuel.
Dash display shows better mpg.