2009 sprinter lack of power

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Brother ran low on fuel and since then he has no power above 40MPH.

Fuel filter has been changed by Dodge since then but same problem.

Any ideas on what the problem could be

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What year? Did they put the computer on it and read the codes? Sounds like he is in limp mode, a lot of things can cause it. It causes the turbo to stop functioning normally thus the lack of power.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2009. He ran low on fuel, he say he didn't run out, but since then no power.

Same code as before, nothing new. Dodge didn't get any codes but he had them change the filter anyway.

Could regen be the problem.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Sprinter owners apparently need their own Greasytshirt. Let me edit that comment, any brand truck or van owner with DPF equipped diesel might want their own greasytshirt.

jimmy

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There was no code for this problem. The other code has been there since he's owned the vehicle.

The only reason I was asking came down to the fact that there wasn't a code.

If the code was the problem it would have been easy.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
2009. He ran low on fuel, he say he didn't run out, but since then no power.

Same code as before, nothing new. Dodge didn't get any codes but he had them change the filter anyway.

Could regen be the problem.
If it needs a regeneration it would throw a code. I think he needs to go to a different repair facility.

They can read the soot levels via the computer so even if it wasn't an actual code they could tell what was happening with the dpf or cats. Low fuel pressure would also throw a code.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This week I pulled into a Rest Area for Mags n me and an unmarked fairly new Sprinter was sitting in the sun, windows up, idling away...no one up front. Pool of water from the air conditioner underneath. I always wonder if the driver had the DPF gutted or doesn't know you can't/shouldn't idle a Sprinter. Saw him crawl up into the seat but he didn't get out.

acedogg1968

Seasoned Expediter
This week I pulled into a Rest Area for Mags n me and an unmarked fairly new Sprinter was sitting in the sun, windows up, idling away...no one up front. Pool of water from the air conditioner underneath. I always wonder if the driver had the DPF gutted or doesn't know you can't/shouldn't idle a Sprinter. Saw him crawl up into the seat but he didn't get out.
Tell me the proper way to handle that situation so that it doesn't happen to me.Thanks.

paulnstef39

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
trending3-1.jpg

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They found the problem on my brothers Sprinter, it was 3 O-rings on the turbo where it comes out going to the air charger. The problem was right in the area where I told him to look, cost a total of 300 for the repairs. He didn't go back to the dealer he took it to a independent shop.

Thanks for the reply son this issue