2006 and earlier Sprinter cheap blower alert

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just thought I'd save someone else the aggravation if you are cheap like me and buy stuff off Ebay

Bought a new blower and resistor this year, cheapest I could find on Ebay...chinese 10$ resistors do work, but the casing is not for the NA sprinters it seems so you have to glue it in with some sort of goop

As for the blower...after spending 9 hours testing circuits, relays, and the ATC unit, with everything seeming fine but no blower (blower worked when jumped) I had this revelation

IMG_20161023_1914143_1.jpg
Blower plug
IMG_20161023_1927281_1.jpg
My modification

THE DANG TERMINALS ON THE MOTOR WEREN'T LONG ENOUGH!!!

I just stuffed a couple of the crimp terminals in to extend it and lo and behold, a working blower with all speeds.

Thought I'd save somebody else the aggravation, I was mystified. The plug was fully seated but not making contact. Obviously these motors are floating around on Ebay, I got one

Reactions: hdxpedx and Turtle

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Update: blower "died" again

Tore down motor and on close inspection, saw the brand new brushes were connected with brand new copper wire that seemed to be too long...it was shorting out in the internals ..so I carefully repositioned it and have had no problems since.

Solved the mysterious code B1007-008 short in blower circuit A - it's smart enough to report an internal short in the blower motor