1999 Freightliner FL70 sleeper re-upholster in Nashville, TN?

bkwslumlord

Rookie Expediter
I own a 1999 fl70 and used to expedite with it from around 2002 to 2007 or so and has sat now for quite some time. I was approached about getting it back on the road. It does have some problems that would have to be addressed before doing so.
The rubber seal between the cab and sleeper has a leak in it and has allowed moisture inside the cab and sleeper. This is pretty much a deal breaker unless I get the interior re-upholstered after obviously getting the sleeper yanked off and getting a new seal installed the correct way first. I would then have an upholsterer fix the interior. Electrical in the sleeper needs redone as well. I do need a replacement passenger side fuel tank. The driver side tank is nearly new. The engine is a cummins isb 5.9l 6 cyl 260 hp diesel recon engine that has about 200,000 miles on it and runs great, no problems with it. The frame has 600,000 miles plus on it and it shows. Back to the moisture problem which is probably the most significant issue. That issue has caused other issues, driver side door is stuck closed and cant free it up, a few switches aren't working like the windshield wiper switch and the dome light, both pretty easy fixes, the clutch is not very old due to having to replace it but it is pretty stiff.
I hate to just continue to let it sit and rot but would love to get her running down the road again and have an opportunity to make some really good money with this but not sure if its worth the gamble to put the money back into it to do so, probably around $4k-$5K, just guessing.
My questions are, is there a good place that would put a new seal on this and/or how to go about fixing this issue, as well as getting the interior reupholstered, in the Nashville, TN area
I would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas, I realize that most of if not all of the expedite companies would not sign this truck on even after being repaired, thats not my intention to put back with expedite.

Thanks,

B

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I own a 1999 fl70 and used to expedite with it from around 2002 to 2007 or so and has sat now for quite some time. I was approached about getting it back on the road. It does have some problems that would have to be addressed before doing so.
The rubber seal between the cab and sleeper has a leak in it and has allowed moisture inside the cab and sleeper. This is pretty much a deal breaker unless I get the interior re-upholstered after obviously getting the sleeper yanked off and getting a new seal installed the correct way first. I would then have an upholsterer fix the interior. Electrical in the sleeper needs redone as well. I do need a replacement passenger side fuel tank. The driver side tank is nearly new. The engine is a cummins isb 5.9l 6 cyl 260 hp diesel recon engine that has about 200,000 miles on it and runs great, no problems with it. The frame has 600,000 miles plus on it and it shows. Back to the moisture problem which is probably the most significant issue. That issue has caused other issues, driver side door is stuck closed and cant free it up, a few switches aren't working like the windshield wiper switch and the dome light, both pretty easy fixes, the clutch is not very old due to having to replace it but it is pretty stiff.
I hate to just continue to let it sit and rot but would love to get her running down the road again and have an opportunity to make some really good money with this but not sure if its worth the gamble to put the money back into it to do so, probably around $4k-$5K, just guessing.
My questions are, is there a good place that would put a new seal on this and/or how to go about fixing this issue, as well as getting the interior reupholstered, in the Nashville, TN area
I would really appreciate your thoughts and ideas, I realize that most of if not all of the expedite companies would not sign this truck on even after being repaired, thats not my intention to put back with expedite. wow theres a lot going on with it,ive got an 06 m2 and I am always fixing something on it and I don't run but about 10,000 miles a year I live In fl couldn't imagine what the damage or repairs would cost but I think 4-5 k would be a weak # to start my grand father had a lot of old trucks that sat at times and after a while they were just parts trucks unless u have a lot more $ u might want to look at selling for parts and looking at a newer truck that has a driver door that opens,either way good luck.

Thanks,

B