1998 FL70, CAT 3126, 6 speed Allision automatic

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
I use to see New 3126 motors on ebay for $10k, but that was just the motor, no labor. I have heard you cannot rebuild this motor, but I've read ads on eo that said their trk had a rebuilt 3126. Go figure

greg334

Veteran Expediter
you can rebuild the 3126, not a problem if it has a good block. It is not like a wet sleeved engine, ISC for example so if you drop a valve or break a ring, the cylinder will either have to be machined or a dry sleeve put in or get a new block.

However, I talked to someone this past weekend who dropped a valve in his FL60 with a 3126, took the engine out of the truck which was scrapped. He was determined to learn about Cat engines so he built a neat engine test stand, pulled it all apart, sanded the cylinder wall down, put in a new used piston, new used valve and put it all back together. He started the thing up and it ran better then it did in the truck. go figure. He is going to use it as a generator, a little overkill in my mind but he is using my ideas on a slow turning generator.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
what is he going to use the generator for greg? Like a mobile welding set up or something?

His new house. He is building a survival cabin and is off the grid. He has been collecting waste oil for a long time (I think he is up to 1500 gallons with a 3000 gallon capacity). The engine uses about .85 of a gallon right now at 1000rpm and he has talked cat into reprogramming it to lean the ecm way out, but who knows if the engine will last more than 10 hours.

It will be interesting to see what the results are, maybe a half a gallon an hour under a very small load, who knows?

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So we're probably talking reman engine ?? at approx $15 ????

I'd be asking yourself if you want to spend that kind of money to bolt a fresh engine up to 10 year old everything else. Your engine problems might go away but what's next and where do you stop..........

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
What kind of lifespan does the typical Allison 6 speed auto have in an otr use scenario? If you replace the engine and then turn around and have to do some serious tranny work you could put a good down payment on a newer ride. Just an outsider looking in.