12 ft.Box Truck

Hitch

Seasoned Expediter
Does anyone know where I could lease on a 12 ft box truck 3500 Chevy 10,000 gvw.I'm located in Ga.

moose

Veteran Expediter
That's depend , Dose it have a Hitch ?

seriously , go to the tabs on top ,
and fill up the online application for all the carriers that advertise here on EO.
if they do , they'll call back.
GL

transporter

Expert Expediter
what isdoor opening dims height width. how many max lbs of cargo. can driver go into canada. what year truck. any experience

greg334

Veteran Expediter
12 foot box truck? With a lift gate and hitch?

Do you expect to haul 500 pounds?

I'm assuming that you already have it, so before you take a step, get it weighed and figure out how much you can put on the truck legally.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Haven't seen many cube vans with a liftgate, not to say they don't exist, but it would cut your cargo capacity by nearly 1000 pounds. Most of these trucks come with ramps, is the liftgate a necessity? If so your better off with a straight truck with a 16 ft box, although the mileage would be about the same as a 26footer

BTW the answer to your question, Penske or Ryder would be a good place to start, there are others but Penske and Ryder are nationwide.

Hitch

Seasoned Expediter
The lift gate is aluminum.I'll get a weight on the truck soon.Thanks for all yalls help.Have a Merry & Safe Christmas.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The lift gate should add something like 600 to 900 lbs to the weight of the truck, with a cargo capacity of say 2000 lbs, that may leave you with a capacity of 1100 to 1400 lbs when the lift gate is added. Even though it is aluminum, it may not be a needed thing in this business.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
The lift gate should add something like 600 to 900 lbs to the weight of the truck, with a cargo capacity of say 2000 lbs, that may leave you with a capacity of 1100 to 1400 lbs when the lift gate is added. Even though it is aluminum, it may not be a needed thing in this business.

the liftgate although aluminum and lighter in weight is surrounded by a steel framework and also the pump and hydralic fluid, all of which adds weight.

transporter

Expert Expediter
that kinda of cube setup is not a over the road expediting truck.
It is a enter city delivery vehicle were alot of cargo capicity is not important. Use for example washer dryer delivery.
some shippers even refuse to load this vehicle do to liftgate setup on this size vehicle.

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Let me guess...it's a former Rent-A-Center truck that has about 4 rows of E-track and no cab pass-thru door? There seems to be a glut of them on the market at very reasonable prices. They look like nice trucks but I would definitely do away with the liftgate. You won't use it enough in expediting to make it worth the loss in weight carrying capacity. Just my two-cents (a cent in a quarter after taxes : ) )

dan357

Seasoned Expediter
hello i,m new to the site and to the world of trucking i just bought a chevy 3500 with a 12ft box truck the legal weight is 10,000 that it can hold . my question is what kind of jobs can i get and do i have 2 register with NYDOT? i,m in new york

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
hello i,m new to the site and to the world of trucking i just bought a chevy 3500 with a 12ft box truck the legal weight is 10,000 that it can hold . my question is what kind of jobs can i get and do i have 2 register with NYDOT? i,m in new york

first i suggest you read here a LOT!

your truck will not carry 10k# legally. 10K# is the max you can carry. what you can carry depends on what your truck weighs empty. if you want to put 10k in it have at it.

do you have to register it? up to you. if you have an accident and not registered then you have problems. if no insurance you have bigger problems.

read some more. use the search function.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
i just bought a chevy 3500 with a 12ft box truck the legal weight is 10,000 that it can hold

It can't hold 10,000. It can weigh a grand total of 10,000 when you combine the truck, the cargo, the fuel, you, your clothes, your lunch, your folded up paper roadmap, the pocket lint that fell off your keys and anything else that's in the truck. That most likely means a maximum of 2500-3000 pounds of cargo and that's provided the sticker in the door jamb does in fact say 10,000 and not a slightly lower number.

dan357

Seasoned Expediter
first i suggest you read here a LOT!

your truck will not carry 10k# legally. 10K# is the max you can carry. what you can carry depends on what your truck weighs empty. if you want to put 10k in it have at it.

do you have to register it? up to you. if you have an accident and not registered then you have problems. if no insurance you have bigger problems.

read some more. use the search function.

thanx jack i have been reading alot on the forum but there is not much on a 14ft box truck. Empty it weighs 6790 i was told by my insurance company that its max is 10,000
my question is do i fall under 10,001 rules or 10,000 and under?
i want to be legit and do things the correct way i would like 2 reg with usdot i had a job today in jersey city which means i,m crossing state my goal is to be able to move ppl from home to home and do general freight type work any info on this would be great

dan357

Seasoned Expediter
It can't hold 10,000. It can weigh a grand total of 10,000 when you combine the truck, the cargo, the fuel, you, your clothes, your lunch, your folded up paper roadmap, the pocket lint that fell off your keys and anything else that's in the truck. That most likely means a maximum of 2500-3000 pounds of cargo and that's provided the sticker in the door jamb does in fact say 10,000 and not a slightly lower number.

would my 96 chevy 3500 be considered a straight truck ?when on the forum i,m having trouble finding info on my 14ft box truck

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
would my 96 chevy 3500 be considered a straight truck ?when on the forum i,m having trouble finding info on my 14ft box truck

Your truck is a cube van, or box truck some people mistakenly call straight trucks box trucks also. Your truck is not a straight truck

Deville

Not a Member
Yes, you have a cube van, I've owned several of these over the years, 10ftboxes, 12 ft boxes & 16 ft boxes, all UD Diesls. The models were a 1400 & 1600 series. You could load those bad boys up, but as they get older they can't pull the max loads. those motors are good for about 200,000 miles if u maintain them perfectly.

I may be wrong but isn't a chevy 3500 a gasser? I think it's a 350 v8, a great motor I have no experiance with them in a cube van cabover set up. I wouldn't shy away from one if the right deal came along though.