100% FSC, Really?

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
How do we know for certain that our carriers are giving us the current FSC. Mine hasn't changed in a few months, although the price of fuel has gone up.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
We would have to know if you are on a flat rate FSC or a % FSC. Then we would have to know the formula your carrier uses to figure FSC. Most flat rates are figured on the DOE formula. These are questions that you should already know the answers to and if you dont you need to ask them !!!!!!!!!!!

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Rate sheet will only work if he is on a percentage. Carriers that pay flat rate do not have to provide rate info if they choose not to.

BXDIVER

Expert Expediter
Driver
I'm on flat rate, and there's no information about the fsc in my contract. I guess a phone call is in order.
Thanks.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Rate sheet will only work if he is on a percentage. Carriers that pay flat rate do not have to provide rate info if they choose not to.

If their whole rate is flat, yes, I'd agree. But if they are promised 100% of the FSC in their contract, that being a variable, I'd bet you'd have every right to view the rate agreement.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do we know for certain that our carriers are giving us the current FSC. Mine hasn't changed in a few months, although the price of fuel has gone up.
Excuse me? Gone up? you gas or diesel....cause diesel sure hasn't gone up....gas has tho

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The National average for diesel has gone up, here in the last few weeks it dropped some but it is up from 3 or 4 months ago. I had to look it up because I wasn't dure.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks xiggi....Surprising .... At 2.39 out here seems low.... It takes about a .12 to .15 cent jump to increase the Fsc .01... By the formula

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
If their whole rate is flat, yes, I'd agree. But if they are promised 100% of the FSC in their contract, that being a variable, I'd bet you'd have every right to view the rate agreement.

You are wrong. most flat rate linehauls are accompanied by flat rate FSC's figured on the DOE formula so they do not have to provide that information.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You are wrong. most flat rate linehauls are accompanied by flat rate FSC's figured on the DOE formula so they do not have to provide that information.

But unless that FSC is static, then it is based upon a variable that, IMO, can be looked at. Last time I checked, 100% was a percentage. If they argue that you're getting 100%, then you should be able to check their rate agreements to make sure that's the case.

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
A little off topic but we recently got cost plus pricing at Pilot/Flying J on fuel. The aggravating thing with it, as with every other fuel savings program, is that you swipe the card at the pump but the discount does now show up on that nor your receipt. It will always show the current cash price. Not until you get your settlement would you actually see the discount. The reason for that is most companies use these discounts to generate extra money off contractors. If they're going to skim 20 cents a gallon from their contractors they can't have them seeing the real discount. Fuel companies, truck stops are only happy to oblige their customer they have no obligation to anyone but them. The same sort of shenanigans get played with surcharges also. Really being leased on just about anywhere that's just how it goes. Don't rock the boat asking lots of hard questions.

Reactions: davekc

paullud

Veteran Expediter
A little off topic but we recently got cost plus pricing at Pilot/Flying J on fuel. The aggravating thing with it, as with every other fuel savings program, is that you swipe the card at the pump but the discount does now show up on that nor your receipt. It will always show the current cash price. Not until you get your settlement would you actually see the discount. The reason for that is most companies use these discounts to generate extra money off contractors. If they're going to skim 20 cents a gallon from their contractors they can't have them seeing the real discount. Fuel companies, truck stops are only happy to oblige their customer they have no obligation to anyone but them. The same sort of shenanigans get played with surcharges also. Really being leased on just about anywhere that's just how it goes. Don't rock the boat asking lots of hard questions.

That is why it's so important to get your own fuel card. They are relatively cheap and give you more control over your finances.

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The discount may not show on the pump or receipt, but as for Comdata, you can call or login to the Comdata website and get the actual amount you paid. You dont have to wait for your settlement. Logging in to the website and seeing the actual discount is quite easy to do, and let's you reconcile your cash flow.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Other then ta or Petro at Landstar we get set amount, as for T/A we call and find out what our price for that day is and add either.2.5 or 3 cents to the price we get from calling

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not all, but most carriers skim the FSC. Usually one of three ways or a combination of all three.
Carrier gets a kickback from the fuel provider. Can be quite substantial.
Use a flat rate and pocket the difference. Often that is where DH and relocation money comes from.
Use DOE as a base but inflate the mileage requirement. For example, instead of 8 miles per gallon for a straight truck that the customer is charged, they pay the truck based on 10 mpg and pocket the difference.

One of those places some carriers have a transparency problem.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
Other then ta or Petro at Landstar we get set amount, as for T/A we call and find out what our price for that day is and add either.2.5 or 3 cents to the price we get from calling

So you are what is called a cost plus discount from T/A Petro .

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
im with landstar todays load for 80 miles loaded 400.00 28.00 0f that was fsc that's .35 per mi. which is doe as of today.