Cargo Van 1 pa-pallet, 2 pa-pallet 3pa-pallet four...?

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Found a few threads on pallets and still need to ask a silly question.

Concentrating on learning about three things at this moment. Default thinking based upon LongTallSprinter:
  1. Weight issues
  2. Freight size parameter extremes
  3. Creature comforts vs freight hauling effects
Some questions about freight size ( read that as pallets )

1. It has to fit through the back door, you must close the back door and the extreme length is up to the rear of the driver's seat. dah... but ok, does that really mean that the max volume this produces also means I can put things in all the other space left?
  2. Other obvious considerations...
    1. top of any item loaded must also consider the space needed for forklift, or whatever, to have to lift and enter/withdraw from inside the van. "working space"
    2. room to handle tie down, strapping
    3. side issue damage from freight being loaded/unloaded.
Essentially, not regarding weight issues, how much danger is there to any "comfort conveniences" which might be installed along the walls of the van within the freight area?

Would something as "timid" as a luan plywood wall along the freight side parameters take most of the "beating" effects of the daily freight hauling duties?

Yup, pretty convoluted. Electrical work was much easier as an Electrician than when I got my EE training. Now way over board on the "thinking" part....

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, over thinking a bit. But you will have the bumper damaged fairly often, unless you are standing by the back ready to scream at the forklift driver (you should, every time). Options here are limited to something like a trailer hitch with a step bar or steel bump plate if you don't want that bumper moved.

The sides of the van, from inside, once in a blue moon. If it's unfinished like mine, never, only a shifting load will mar the sheet metal (and you should have a wide variety of straps and tie downs to stop this).

Creature comforts? My last run I had only the width of a spare tire behind my front seats on 4 auto pallets stacked 2 high...half an inch or so when loaded/unloaded on the top and bottom at the back door...i carry only a mattress strapped to the side wall...anything that doesn't fit in the cab is going to limit what you can carry, although a newer sprinter gives 2 more feet inside compared to mine in the ext

The idea is to not intrude past the wheelwells (width) for maximum freight, but I find all the space handy to wrestle skids to the back for unloading. At minimum you also need a way to drag that skid behind your seats to the back (side loading is asking for trouble, forklift drivers usually think you're driving a company van not your own) if I can't push or drag it I use my largest ratchet straps and the rear cargo rings to drag it back. If the forklift driver is game, a strap on it to the freight is fast and easy but they always tell me it's against policy (breaking strap danger I guess)

http://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/start-of-my-bed.68724/page-2#post-790307

I like this build, anything can be moved to the front of necessary, and the length covers 99.99% of loads with a permanent bunk

DON'T OVERLOAD even near your max GVWR I find shippers tend to overlook the skids or crates themselves when calculating, metal crates and you're illegal fast

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamPaul

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Thanks brokcanadian for that link above.

Also, the Welcome September string is new to me. Is it the norm that a new month means a new string to follow?
Makes a lot of sense, me thinks.

From your posts it appears you may be looking at a new Sprinter? That is my thought but this DEF thing keeps popping up as troublesome...

I am also starting to learn about diesel quality varies enough geographically, to may be an issue as well?

the more I learn, the less I seem to know!

Reactions: brokcanadian

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Here is a collection of van outfitting threads: http://www.expeditersonline.com/forums/threads/cargo-van-threads.44083/

Most people want storage along the sides of the van. Running some type of board along both sides, just inside the wheel housing, protects the van walls, protects items stored along the sides and guides pallets between wheel housings.

A friend made a crash bar for me from some scrap stainless steel tubing.
Van 3.JPG
.Van 2.JPG
van 1.JPG

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I get smashed, I'm not paying the local rate of 10,000 for an 05 I'd try for a 4 cyl...i have a thread on mine somewhere, paid 2900 US for mine with 180000 miles on it (in truck talk)...

I'll now defer to the people that actually own newer Sprinters to answer questions

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
This is an 05 Sprinter. But it should give some ideas.

This is perfect as an answer to what might be appropriate for expedite van space use.

Very much dead on to what I was asking about. Especially the build out of the side area storage.
thanks!:clapping-happy:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Birch plywood wall panels covered with a good abs sheeting for skuff and other protection! LuAn is going to be toothpics in a very short time

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
LuAn is going to be toothpics in a very short time
+1
I have luan on the ceiling, no problems there. Those little strips along shelves to keep things from falling off are also Luan, and it doesn't take much at all for them to be splintered, torn and ripped off when an overzealous forklift operator is at work. I've got 3 or 4 small sections that need to be replaced.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Luan must be an American thing, sounds like a Dennys waitress

Found it, at 1 store, like 1" MDF for speakers, hard to find north of the border...learned something new...its like what they make those $20 interior doors out of

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The term luan (also spelled lauan) comes from the lauan tree, native to the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. It is also sometimes called Philippine mahogany or meranti. Manufacturers mostly create the veneer from either white lauan or red lauan. The term typically refers to a plywood panel 1/4 or, less commonly, 1/8 inch thick.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
good abs sheeting for skuff and other protection
If I insulate, I was going to finish the walls in that thin stuff they use in gas station bathrooms and walk in fridges, comes shiny and they have thin strips to cover the seams...its either textured or smooth and very tough, like tile board without the tiles, what's it called?

Edit: think I mean fiberglass reinforced sheet, here's a pic, textured because the pic of white is...white
033069700383lg.jpg

I was going to finish the inside over insulation by using the normal plastic trim pins to attach, then it's removable and that stuff seems pretty strong...any other ideas? I've got LEDs and the white interior makes everything light up like daytime, wanted to keep that effect so everybody can see what they're doing

Last edited:

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
That white fiberglass stuff works great, easy to clean and tough. But it's also a little heavy compared to regular panelling. Had it in my old truck. ImageUploadedByEO Forums1473142187.600065.jpg

traacker

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
Looks like your speechless.

Whew!
Thanks guys, couldn't tell Schrodinger's box had me until someone did the observation thing to see me still in it.
Still ca-ca-caught up pp p p bbbbut tryin to get me out.
couple more times then maybe the instruction reading may be needed!:dash1:

Reactions: Moot