Hi everyone!

capnscruffy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Just thought I'd introduce myself. I run a Ford E250 up in Boston, doing the local courier thing, and some air freight. I have been out of the game for a long time (back in the late nineties into the early 00's I spent a lot of time on the road regionally, both as an ic running cargo vans, company driver, cabbie in Boston, a little stint OTR in a tractor with JB Hunt) but just took the plunge last month. One of the places I leased on with back in the day said these days they require all their IC's to have their own authority. I always wanted to go that route, so I pulled the trigger............Seems like a big game changer to me, as I can shop around to many more prospects, right? I'm a little anxious about the added costs (my insurance went from $1850 to $7700 per year! So I gotta start making this pay...............any insight into these load boards for couriers? anyone using them? Any tips or feedback would be appreciated. Worst case scenario I close it all down and go back to my maritime job, but that's gotten old and stale.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Without at least being on Sylectus this might be a difficult go of it...i'd start with a local internet search of brokers and freight companies...start calling...and be prepared to start with the loads they don't want first (meaning cheap) have your paperwork and proof of cargo insurance ready

capnscruffy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Thanks! I know I've got a challenge ahead of me. I've been researching local companies and bookmarking websites.......

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're ready start calling. Don't put the phone down till you've got a load confirmation from someone. Rinse and repeat

Make sure you've got a good bluetooth and unlimited phone plan...good luck, you're doing ALL the work, but keeping 100% for the extra trouble

capnscruffy

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I'll be ready about the middle of January. all my insurance is filed, I need to do one more hitch on the boat for cash flow reasons, but other than that I'm ready. I've got some work at a regional same day courier outfit, and a local air freight trucking co. too. That will keep the bills paid while I get up and running.

Reactions: brokcanadian

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give ceva log a call they are in Boston, Ma out by airport, and they do all kind of things and they have insurance program, i just retired from ceva in Richmond Va

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insurance at $7,700 per yr for a Ford E250?
Honestly, I'd start exploring other options ...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give ceva a call there ins is reasonable , plus they have all kinds of things to do
there hard to get on with they check you out big time
have to have a good dmv record
as the ins co , they also check you out , and they may say he is ok to hire or not