Specific frustrations with ELDs?

michaeltc

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
Trying to decide on a proper ELD and there seem to be quite a few options out there.

Wondering if anybody who has an ELD installed have any issues with theirs (bugs, issues, needed improvements)?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Go with a system that allows flexibility for your drivers. Something that allows personnel drive time after mandatory rest requirements have been met. Without it you may have a problem keeping drivers. Pretty stupid to have a system that starts the clock so a driver can go get grocery's or go to the bowling alley while on layover.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking at the rand McNally eld 50 and an android smart phone I use an iPad and an iPhone so I'll have to borrow an android phone to check it out further how the software works it has a 14.95 month service fee also for use

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Go with a system that allows flexibility for your drivers. Something that allows personnel drive time after mandatory rest requirements have been met. Without it you may have a problem keeping drivers. Pretty stupid to have a system that starts the clock so a driver can go get grocery's or go to the bowling alley while on layover.

Can't u just unplug the dongle from the truck when using one for errands and not on duty?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Can't u just unplug the dongle from the truck when using one for errands and not on duty?

We have the Samsung tablet that ya can buy at any Version store. No wires, works great when dispatch knows how to read it. :D
But rumor has it they are going to invest in another system. Why I don't know, this one works fine. Or at least as good as any QC I ever had.
Where you get the software for the ELD I have no idea?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
It's on Google play under rand McNally eld50. Is that what your using

No, My wife has the exact same tablet but without the ELD software.. I'm not a computer guy but I think its Omnitracks XRS. Maybe a spinoff of Qcomm?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Before investing in any ELD, a CMV owner operating independently should read and understand the content of FMCSA regulations, Part 395, Subpart B and Appendix A to Subpart B. These areas contain a lot of complicated discussion of the requirements for an Electronic Recording Device that meets the current criteria. There are a lot of devices on the market that will record and help you keep track of a driver's hours of service; however, you will not likely find a device that will satisfy the government's requirements, on the mandatory implementation date a year from now, at a truckstop or in Best Buy. Love the ELD or hate it, it's the future.

Reactions: Greg and Slo-Ride

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Fairly sure our little Tablet is a legal device but that's safety Dept's problem not mine. If I have to have one this tablet is the one I would pick over the QC units. Or what ever they are called now.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Don't worry. Trumps in office. New Supreme Court Justice. OOIDA will take it there and it won't be mandatory any more. LMAO ;)o_O;)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Ha. I'm thinking more in line of that OOIDA will do what the ATA wants and it won't be in your best interest.

Tobster317

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol. Probably. But if there wasn't wishful thinking sometimes there would be no thinking.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Before investing in any ELD, a CMV owner operating independently should read and understand the content of FMCSA regulations, Part 395, Subpart B and Appendix A to Subpart B. These areas contain a lot of complicated discussion of the requirements for an Electronic Recording Device that meets the current criteria. There are a lot of devices on the market that will record and help you keep track of a driver's hours of service; however, you will not likely find a device that will satisfy the government's requirements, on the mandatory implementation date a year from now, at a truckstop or in Best Buy. Love the ELD or hate it, it's the future.

Pretty sure what will work for a tt will be fine for a st8 truck pretty much said vans don't count in this fiasco or at least not until they are required to log which I'm sure is coming down the pike sooner than later

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty sure what will work for a tt will be fine for a st8 truck pretty much said vans don't count in this fiasco or at least not until they are required to log which I'm sure is coming down the pike sooner than later

True. What works for TT will work for ST8 trucks. BUT, some devices available TODAY may not meet the requirements for DEC 2017.
As for vans, it will be interesting to see how they will handle Hazmat loads, if at all, since they are required to log those.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
True. What works for TT will work for ST8 trucks. BUT, some devices available TODAY may not meet the requirements for DEC 2017.
As for vans, it will be interesting to see how they will handle Hazmat loads, if at all, since they are required to log those.

One thing to note, if you go to a device that meets the current eobr requirements you have an extra 2 years to upgrade to the eld requirements, which for most devices should be a software update.

Last edited:
Reactions: tknight

tknight

Veteran Expediter
EOBR and ELD can be two different devices.

In order for it to be legal it requires a direct hookup to the truck engine controller and the ability to print or email to dot officer some of the current units can be edited which isn't allowed by the rules like big rig it's legal now but not without the dongle hookup which is 25.00 a month and you need an iPad or iPhone with Internet access the eld50 from rand is an android product using a tablet or android phone the cost is 15.00 a month and 150.00 to buy the dongle both of those systems are 2017 compliant I've been doing our homework!

Reactions: Greg

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In order for it to be legal it requires a direct hookup to the truck engine controller and the ability to print or email to dot officer some of the current units can be edited which isn't allowed by the rules like big rig it's legal now but not without the dongle hookup which is 25.00 a month and you need an iPad or iPhone with Internet access the eld50 from rand is an android product using a tablet or android phone the cost is 15.00 a month and 150.00 to buy the dongle both of those systems are 2017 compliant I've been doing our homework!

That's exactly what I was saying. Just because one works and is compliant today, doesn't mean that it will be next December.
Glad to see you done your homework.

Seems like so many are working harder to get around using elogs than it would be to find out and get used to them before they have no choice.