OK, here is a perfect example of what's needed:
50266416198d57ea6354d0f92d69c1bd.jpg

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nothing wrong with holding 5 billion $ in government contracts over United Technologies to gain a compromise. Not a fan of "The Donald" but it's about time someone just stood up and said NO!
That's exactly the deal. In the past, presidents have not often gotten involved in individual businesses. It's not "presidential" and all that, you know. The left is making that very criticism right now. "Yeah, saved a thousand jobs, but it's not very presidential. We don't need a president who is heavy-footed on these things."

No, that's exactly what we need, a president who is very heavy footed on these things.

"But, but, but, Trump (and Pence) had to bribe Carrier into staying."

As if China and Mexico hasn't been bribing companies to move jobs into their country.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
BTW, Trump's (and his kid's) companies profit from low-wage laborers around the globe who produce Trump-branded merchandise. Ivanka has her own separate brand of jewelry, shoes and clothing, much of which is produced in China.

Yeah, that whole conflict of interest thing is just out of control. <snort>

Very early on in his campaign people pointed out to Trump how his ties, shirts and other branded merchandise is made in China and other places overseas. He responded, "That's they way it is, it's how you have to do business. I plan to change that."

His entire career has been all about taking advantages of loopholes and regulations, exploiting them to the fullest extent. He better than most in Washington understands why companies want to outsource jobs. He also knows better than most how to close those loopholes and which regulations to get rid of, and how to create loopholes and regulations that benefit those who do not outsource jobs.

He's already having a list put together of every regulation that's a job killer, and he plans on getting rid of most or all of them.

He stood right there and said, "The system is rigged. I know it's rigged because I took advantage of it."

That's just straight-up gansta.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sometimes Turtle it seems you go both ways! (Mark - do not add to this).

I'm not sure what you mean. Like Trump I'm not particularly an idealog where I'll tow the party line on issues. I'm more Libertarian than anything, especially when it comes to personal liberty and personal issues. I'm quite conservative on some issues, but because I'm a staunch believer in minding your own business over telling other people they can't have an abortion, conservatives disown me. And because I believe in personal responsibility in taking care of your own damn self, liberals won't have anything to do with me.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm quite conservative on some issues, but because I'm a staunch believer in minding your own business over telling other people they can't have an abortion, conservatives disown me. And because I believe in personal responsibility in taking care of your own damn self, liberals won't have anything to do with me.
I hear more and more people make this claim..... That being the case, why isn't the Libertarian Party a major party!
Time for them to s#it or get off the pot. Imho

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
I'm quite conservative on some issues, but because I'm a staunch believer in minding your own business over telling other people they can't have an abortion, conservatives disown me. And because I believe in personal responsibility in taking care of your own damn self, liberals won't have anything to do with me.
I hear more and more people make this claim..... That being the case, why isn't the Libertarian Party a major party!
Yep had to vote trumpet to insure Holory didn't get in time to pick out a person and get them known by next election

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You would think now that Hillary has plenty of time on her hands, enough for both her and Bill to devote it full time to the Clinton Foundation, that the donations would be pouring in. You'd think that. But no.

The top three ($10-$25 million a year) foreign government donors to the Clinton Foundation are Saudi Arabia, Australia and Norway. Since the election of Trump, Norway has announced it is cutting its donations to the Foundation by 87%, and Australia has cut their donations to ZERO

(The Australian Prime Minister Malcom Turnbull, is the former Chairman of Goldman Sachs Australia. And as we know, Goldman Sachs rarely spends money on anything unless it expects to get some results. <snort>)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's for a lot of reasons, but I think the core reasons are because Libertarians think all drugs should be legal (and I agree, as you should be able to put into your body whatever you like), which conservatives don't like, because they have an innate and insatiable need to tell others what to do, how to live and what to think. Libertarians want to dramatically shrink the government (and it's responsibilities) and utterly eliminate the Nanny State of welfare, which liberals can't get enough of a sphincter pucker to keep from crapping themselves over. They also stand for a completely unrestricted and open border, which nobody likes.

They also stand for a strict non-interventionist foreign policy (no entangling alliances, which is what this country's fundamental foreign policy was prior to WW I) so as to stop meddling in the internal affairs of other countries, which neither Democrats or Republicans like, but for different reasons.

George Washington, in his Farewell Address, said, "It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliance with any portion of the foreign world." Thomas Jefferson drove the point home in his Inauguration Speech with, "Peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations - entangling alliances with none." If neither of those were clear enough, President James Monroe in 1823 came up with his "Monroe Doctrine" which said we'll get involved overseas "...only when our rights are invaded, or seriously menaced that we resent injuries." In 1823 you could count the ongoing foreign treaties of entangling alliances on one hand. Since the start of World War One, you need the hands of several scores of people.

Granted, prior to WWI geography and modes of transportation made avoiding entangling alliances a lot easier than it is today. But still. We no longer even attempt to limit foreign entanglements. We thrive on it. And it's why China crapped itself when they found out Trump took a phone call from the President of Taiwan, and why India did the same when Trump referred to the people of Pakistan as "nice people."

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Just A Thought: The Robertson's of Duck Dynasty - HUGE Trump advocates, Make America Great Again hat wearing good ole' boys, build a wall, bring jobs back to America, etc, etc., hold their daughters wedding in Mexico. How much money did that pump in our economy?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just A Thought:...
Yeah, uhm, no. Having a destination wedding doesn't pump money into or out of the economy. No one ever said you shouldn't vacation overseas or get married at an exotic locale resort.

Now, if we were to ship Disney World or something like that to Mexico we might see an impact on tourist dollars, but a girl having her wedding down there, uhm, no.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Yeah, uhm, no. Having a destination wedding doesn't pump money into or out of the economy. No one ever said you shouldn't vacation overseas or get married at an exotic locale resort.

Now, if we were to ship Disney World or something like that to Mexico we might see an impact on tourist dollars, but a girl having her wedding down there, uhm, no.
I respectfully disagree with you All Knowing Terrapin. Your response is correct, except (IMHO), because the Robertson's used their fame (which I don't understand why they are fame-worthy) to "Preach To The Masses" and therefore they should practice what they preach. Having used their public persona to have others support an agenda they are then (IMHO) hypocrites if they don't set an example.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...the Robertson's used their fame (which I don't understand why they are fame-worthy) to "Preach To The Masses" and therefore they should practice what they preach. Having used their public persona to have others support an agenda they are then (IMHO) hypocrites if they don't set an example.
I can't fathom their fame either. Do you use the same standards towards the liberal media and most of Hollywood when it comes to ferreting out hypocrisy?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I can't fathom their fame either. Do you use the same standards towards the liberal media and most of Hollywood when it comes to ferreting out hypocrisy?
I think I would. However, I mostly ignore the Hollywood elite. I do accept that the media has a liberal bias and I try to qualify what they say with further research. For example, I recently removed my application for Huffington Post and replaced it with Fox News because I found Huff too biased. I don't tend to agree with most people that are too far left or right. I listen regularly to Michael Smerconish and Julie Mason and I don't always agree with them either but respect them. Whew, did I answer?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I respectfully disagree with you All Knowing Terrapin. Your response is correct, except (IMHO), because the Robertson's used their fame (which I don't understand why they are fame-worthy) to "Preach To The Masses" and therefore they should practice what they preach. Having used their public persona to have others support an agenda they are then (IMHO) hypocrites if they don't set an example.

OK< I freely admit that I don't know much about the Robertsons, never seen more than about 10 minutes of the show, so I really and truly do not know what they preach. So, please clue me in on how going on vacation, or having a wedding, in a foreign country, is hypocritical.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following video is an excellent portrayal of Hollywood hypocrisy. I posted it a few years ago but thought it was worth posting again.

Reactions: davekc and Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Trump rips Boeing for the estimated $4 billion price tag (and that's before cost overruns get added) for the Air Force One program. "We want Boeing to make a lot of money, but not that much money."

Boeing stock takes a hit.

Trump owns a lot of stock in Boeing.

HEY! CONFLICT OF INTEREST!!!