Boo ... its October

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Almost everyone needs a good cup of joe in the morning to get them going, and, according to legend, it’s all because of a 9th-century Ethiopian goat-herder named Kaldi.

Allegedly, Kaldi observed his goats behaving erratically after eating the red berries from a nearby Coffea arabica tree. He tried some of them himself and was soon acting as hyper as his herd. He then brought a batch to a monastery where they were derided for their stimulating effects during long hours of prayer. The religious leaders there threw the tree’s beans onto a fire to destroy them, but the pleasing aroma of the roasted beans convinced them to give the coffee a second chance. Much like with tea, they put the roasted beans into warm water and the beverage was born.

Despite the legend, it’s thought that the practice of chewing coffee beans as a stimulant was around for centuries before Kaldi's alleged discovery. People would grind the beans to mix with butter and animal fat to preserve and eat on long journeys. Similarly, Sudanese slaves are thought to have chewed on coffee beans to help them survive their difficult voyages on trade routes.

The cultivation and trade of the beans for the drink began in Arabic countries in the 14th century and spread throughout Egypt, Syria, and Turkey. It's said not a single coffee plant existed outside of Arabia or Africa until the 1600s, when a pilgrim named Baba Budan brought them back to India. In 1616, Pieter van der Broeck smuggled some coffee out of Mocha, Yemen and brought it back to Amsterdam. Soon, the Dutch and their colonies—most notably Sri Lanka and Java—took over the European trade, followed by the French in the Caribbean, the Spanish in Central America, and the Portuguese in Brazil. The drink eventually made its way to America via British colonizers who docked in New York City.

Today, coffee is a 100 billion dollar a year industry, supporting 25 million people worldwide. How did we ever survive mornings without it?
You guys can have mine, I don't drink the stuff. These days all I drink is water.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tennesseahawk

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And the week continues...
Tuesday morning we get our load and head to Florida... Wednesday morning we deliver and get booked within 2 hours...
We head down to Miami to pickup our load and head to Kentucky... In the wee hours of this morning, Janet was driving and woke me up saying we were getting pulled over... I asked if she was speeding and she said no, she was driving 63 mph (our normal fuel efficient driving)...
It was Florida DOT who pulled us over and wanted to know what we were hauling... Told them a Jet Airplane Tire and they asked to see our cargo area, Turned out they were from the Ag Inspection Station, gave us a warning and told us to always pull into the Inspection Station empty or loaded... Made our delivery in Louisville this afternoon...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using EO Forums mobile app
I guess you guys didn't get the memo or was sleep driving. It says on the sign all trucks , cargo vans and the like to stop in at station. Lol.

Reactions: hazmat and ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: ntimevan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reactions: Ragman

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter