Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
sounds like you are doubting me.
I'm doubting the line, not you. I've seen firsthand what can happen when this pipe splits open, and I stress to everyone to avoid reusing it if at all possible. I know sometimes it's unavoidable, and you'll probably be fine, but I have to stick to my guns on this one.

Reactions: wmuhr84

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm doubting the line, not you. I've seen firsthand what can happen when this pipe splits open, and I stress to everyone to avoid reusing it if at all possible. I know sometimes it's unavoidable, and you'll probably be fine, but I have to stick to my guns on this one.

I have a confession to make, when I installed my new injectors I reused the return pipe.....

I did replace the seals and the one banjo bolt.

I figured since you installed it and it was torqued correctly and I was really careful taking it off, I figured I would try. It went into place and everything lined up exactly. If there had been anything that wasn't perfectly lined up I would have tossed it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
4kNFLSE.jpg
BIaxus8.jpg
nSwnTF4.jpg

Reactions: wmuhr84

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic

I have a confession to make, when I installed my new injectors I reused the return pipe.....

I did replace the seals and the one banjo bolt.

I figured since you installed it and it was torqued correctly and I was really careful taking it off, I figured I would try. It went into place and everything lined up exactly. If there had been anything that wasn't perfectly lined up I would have tossed it.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
vader.jpg

It's probably fine, but still.

Reactions: coalminer

Dustin

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
Hello Greasytshirt, I have a 2007 HINO 308TA TURBO. I have the Allison automatic transmission on it. I had the transmission looked at and I was told it needs to be replaced after 170k or 105k miles. I am having trouble finding parts to rebuild the transmission. My question is, is there more than one model of transmission that will work for my truck? I was told the current tranny is a model 2000RM.
Engine model is J08E-TA

Last edited:

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello Greasytshirt, I have a 2007 HINO 308TA TURBO. I have the Allison automatic transmission on it. I had the transmission looked at and I was told it needs to be replaced after 170k or 105k miles. I am having trouble finding parts to rebuild the transmission. My question is, is there more than one model of transmission that will work for my truck? I was told the current tranny is a model 2000RM.
Engine model is J08E-TA
I'm in the US, and the 308 is not sold here, so I don't have info specifically for your truck. While another transmission may work, the TCM will not unless it's reprogrammed, and Allison does not give that away. You can buy parts from an Allison authorized dealer.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thank you
No problem.

What's it doing that makes them think it needs replacement? This is very low mileage for an Allison. There is one thing in particular that you have to avoid, which is driving with the ABS light on. This causes the torque converter to unlock, and the trans overheats.

When i condemn a transmission (vs fixing/attempting to fix it), it's either because it's full of metal shrapnel, It has active codes showing incorrect transmission ratio (it commands a gear but a burnt up clutch pack never reaches the rpm the tcm expects) or when there are recurring codes for turbine or output shaft speed, caused by excessive radial movement of these parts, suggesting bushing failure. These are the most common things I've seen.

What sort of truck do you have? What wheelbase? If it was incorrectly spec'd by a body builder, or has some unusual configuration, the driveline angles often need to be adjusted, usually by replacing spring perch blocks on top of the rear axle. This changes pinion angles. A 1-3 degree adjustment is usually all that's required to get it correct. An incorrect pinion angle wears specific bushings in these transmissions (1000-2000 series Allisons, anyway), and the problem will reoccur if it's not addressed.

If you tackle it yourself, I'd recommend getting the books so you have specs for bushing measurements. This is critical. Without this being right you'll waste time and money. The books are also well illustrated and broken into modules so it's easy to understand and you'll be less likely to make mistakes.

boar's hino

New Recruit
Researching
Hello...I'm new here. This is a fantastic thread. Lots of info. I'm looking for the wheel torque specs (both inner and outer wheels in the rear and fronts) on a 1995 Hino FD2218. I did a search but didn't find anything. Thanks greasytshirt.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hello...I'm new here. This is a fantastic thread. Lots of info. I'm looking for the wheel torque specs (both inner and outer wheels in the rear and fronts) on a 1995 Hino FD2218. I did a search but didn't find anything. Thanks greasytshirt.
I'm gonna have to look that up.

John95r

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hi, Im working on a Hino wo6dti Marine engine and had a question about the new liners I received. Not sure if I will get a good reply where I bought them so I thought I would search out help.
Out of the 6 new liners i received, one has a protruded fire ring on top of the flange. The other five do not. The original ones I took out all have the fire ring. Is this just a new design? Part Number is a 11467-1792
It does appear that they are the same in all other respects. Thanks in advance
John

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi, Im working on a Hino wo6dti Marine engine and had a question about the new liners I received. Not sure if I will get a good reply where I bought them so I thought I would search out help.
Out of the 6 new liners i received, one has a protruded fire ring on top of the flange. The other five do not. The original ones I took out all have the fire ring. Is this just a new design? Part Number is a 11467-1792
It does appear that they are the same in all other respects. Thanks in advance
John
Could you post pics of the difference? I've only worked on one of those, and that was just to get air out of the injection pump.

suddy

Rookie Expediter
Hey Greasy, I have a 07 Hino with Automatic Allison transmission. It appears to be blowing fluid out of the vent. The light comes on occasionally. When you pull over and restart the truck it is fine. Fluid looks good and the level is good. Any know causes?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey Greasy, I have a 07 Hino with Automatic Allison transmission. It appears to be blowing fluid out of the vent. The light comes on occasionally. When you pull over and restart the truck it is fine. Fluid looks good and the level is good. Any know causes?
Is the ABS light also on? If the trans overheats, it can push fluid out of the vent. If the ABS light is on, the torque converter unlocks and the transmission will get hot.

Edit: You've had ABS trouble before. If your tone rings are shot, replace the rotors. Also check wheel bearing endplay. If they're loose, the tone ring hits the sensor and pushes it out, often far enough for gap codes to set.
Active ABS faults are the most common cause for transmission overheat that I see regularly.
I've seen two where the ABS light was either concealed (with electrical tape covering the led, done on the inside of the gauge cluster so no one would notice) or damaged (intentionally plucked off of the circuit board). Both of these trucks had been sold because of transmission concerns.
The ABS light will come on for a few seconds when the ignition is turned on. If you don't see it, some shenanigans are afoot.

Last edited:

Maxx

Seasoned Expediter
Hey Greasy, I have a 2011 hino 338 and the engine light and the dpr check light came on the other day. It shows code p200c. Could you let me know what that is for?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey Greasy, I have a 2011 hino 338 and the engine light and the dpr check light came on the other day. It shows code p200c. Could you let me know what that is for?
DPF outlet overtemp. It got super hot. The DPF is probably melted. The injectors are going to be suspect, and they need to be replaced if they look questionable.

When the outlet temp gets super high, I start worrying about SCR catalyst deterioration. I'd run a regen while looking at NOx sensor activity .

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
How could I find out if dpf has been melted
Take it out. If there's soot on the back, it's probably toast. Another way to check is to get some really thin tough wire, like .025 mig wire, and push it through the holes in the DPF from the REAR. It should move in freely , something like 9 inches. Check in a dozen or so spots all across the rear face. If you find an area where the wire can't be inserted more than a couple inches, it's melted internally. Don't force it in there. Do not use a melted DPF, replace it. Oven baking a melted DPF is just a good way to waste $450.

Status
Not open for further replies.