Ford Transit question.

guido4475

Not a Member
Oh yea, have you tried to add "Friction modifier" to the transmission? That does seem to help a great deal on Ford Crown Vic and Grand Marquis transmissions that develop the usual torque converter shudder. You can get it at Summit Racing, just type in the search bar "Dr. Tranny shudder eliminator." It's a tiny tube, about 8 bucks, but does work. I think you can get it at Autozone as well. Every one who has used it has had instant, permanent results. I will add it in my transmissions in the Grand Marquis and Ford van when it comes time to have them serviced.

The biggest problem with the friction modifier is figuring out how to get it into the transmission. There is no trans fluid dipstick to pour it down! You'd have to open up something on the side or bottom of the trans case to see/check or add any fluid. But I've also been told that they work great, but the one Ford sells otc is supposed to be the best one and the best priced friction modifier available.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I heard that there is a plug of some type on the side of the transmission where a dipstick would go, and this is where they add/remove the fluid, etc I've gotta tell ya, I'm very disappointed in Ford for this kind of stupidity..It's as if they went to Sprinter school or something.....lol

guido4475

Not a Member
Oh yea, have you tried to add "Friction modifier" to the transmission? That does seem to help a great deal on Ford Crown Vic and Grand Marquis transmissions that develop the usual torque converter shudder. You can get it at Summit Racing, just type in the search bar "Dr. Tranny shudder eliminator." It's a tiny tube, about 8 bucks, but does work. I think you can get it at Autozone as well. Every one who has used it has had instant, permanent results. I will add it in my transmissions in the Grand Marquis and Ford van when it comes time to have them serviced.

The biggest problem with the friction modifier is figuring out how to get it into the transmission. There is no trans fluid dipstick to pour it down! You'd have to open up something on the side or bottom of the trans case to see/check or add any fluid. But I've also been told that they work great, but the one Ford sells otc is supposed to be the best one and the best priced friction modifier available.

how do they fill it after the flush? We sprinters have no dipstick but do have an access tube for techs to measure and refill...
Supposedly they add the same amount they took out, from what I have heard....

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had a tranmission flushed at about 150000 miles on a personal sub compact Ford car. A week later it went out.

Told by several transmission guys thay they refused to flush any trans over 100k. They recommended drain, fill and a new filter. Make sense, I like that.

My NV van now is at 469k. It's has the maintenance free fluids. I'm debating. Lol..

Reactions: scottm4211

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Had a tranmission flushed at about 150000 miles on a personal sub compact Ford car. A week later it went out.

Told by several transmission guys thay they refused to flush any trans over 100k. They recommended drain, fill and a new filter. Make sense, I like that.

My NV van now is at 469k. It's has the maintenance free fluids. I'm debating. Lol..
Can't drain & fill Transit. Ford engineers designed it so the frame supports block access to tranny from underneath

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

guido4475

Not a Member

Yes, supposedly when trans fluid gets too old, trans shops wont change it, because the detergents in new fluids will wipe out the bands or something in the transmission. I was told the same thing from a few trans shops as well.

guido4475

Not a Member

Can't drain & fill Transit. Ford engineers designed it so the frame supports block access to tranny from underneath

You are correct. Unless you put a jack stand under the tranny and remove the crossmembers. I heard there were a couple in the way under there. Makes no sense to me. I heard of a shop removing that fill plug and inserting a tube and applying suction to remove the fluid into a pan, than adding the same amount from the same hole/access hole. Like I said, I cannot believe Ford would design something as senseless as this...

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

If the trans was fine before the flush and there's a problem after, I'd go back and let them correct the problem. Flushing can damage internal parts. Got to report the problem to them. That way if the problem worsen may be they do something about it. Hope it nothing major.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
If you want a smaller van you should consider the Mercedes Metris. It will hold two skids and has a maximum payload capacity of 2,502 lbs.

Reactions: bg101

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
175K, 30 since tranny flush and the Torque Converter is "rumbling" again.

I'm really disappointed as well as embarrassed by Ford for putting out a product that is awesome looking, but with many known problems. A transmission shouldn't be having problems this early on for a new model, especially after they made the public wait for how many years before it finally made it out onto the dealers lots. It should of been flawless, with the amount of time it took them to make it right for production. To be honest, I would love to have one, a new Transit, but after seeing and hearing of these and a few other problems, why??? Who wants a payment and a repair??? I'd rather go and get another E-350 Spartan like I currently have. Sure, it's not the prettiest of expedite vans out there, not the most fuel efficient, but it is built to take a beating, without a doubt. And cheap to maintain and repair.
its hard to believe..these have been in the UK and Europe for a long time...what did the American engineers screw up when they brought it over here and did modifications to Americanize it?...
They touched it.

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The flush solved problem, for 25K, now problem back?
How many flushes have you had and at what mileage was the first one? I called two local Ford dealers and got two different prices, $229.95 and $300. At those prices, 2 hours labor to remove the crossmember, drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter wouldn't be a whole lot more. Going this route should get one at least a couple hundred thousand miles before doing it again. I think I will try to hold off until 150,000 miles and then do the pan drop thing. What have you paid for a flush?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have had 3 so far. 125k - $229,. 150K - $249, 175K - $189. Still have occasional TQ grumble

Now having check engine light with a p0430 code which could be Cat. Conv downstream to O2 sensor. Keep resetting and alternate fill ups with 89 octane.

Reactions: Moot and Ftransit

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have had 3 so far. 125k - $229,. 150K - $249, 175K - $189. Still have occasional TQ grumble

Now having check engine light with a p0430 code which could be Cat. Conv downstream to O2 sensor. Keep resetting and alternate fill ups with 89 octane.

And the dealer will tell you to replace the converter, it has been my experience with dealing with 0420 and 0430 that replacing one or both o2 sensors will fix the problem 90% of the time. Unless a head gasket let loose and the coolant ruined the converter.

The thing is when the dealer replaces the converter they will automatically replace both sensors so they are sure to fix the problem.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Plan on avoiding the dealer on this and have a local shop change downstream O2 and see if it fixes.

Reactions: Treadmill

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
I've looked into this Transmission issue. A reputable Ford mechanic told me that the transmission does have a break in period and does produce some metal shavings. He also said to not follow the recommended service schedule and Do not flush the 6r80 trans. There is some sort of check valve that prevents the complete circulation of old and new fluid. He said to drop the pan and change the fluid only after 30,000 miles. Then at 60 Thousand Miles drop the pan and change the fluid and filter and then fluid and filter at every 60,000.

2015 MR 148 " Med length
3.7 9500 gvwr. I got nine thousand miles on it. No issues so far.

Sent from my XT1575 using EO Forums mobile app

wayneygogo

Seasoned Expediter
I would also like to mention regarding torque shudder. I watched a video about this and seemingly the transmission in a lot of Fords is tied to the amount of spark to the engine. Something about the transmission tries to make up for the reduction in spark . The fix is to replace the spark plugs. Also because these flushes we're done every 30000 miles or so like the posts are stating above could this mean that you perhaps changed only the spark plugs and did not change the coil packs and plug wires.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EO Forums mobile app

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Bad plugs or coil will actually cause severe tranny slippage. My research says the Torque Converter shudder is caused by particulates sticking. They come and go and so does the shudder. As to your post above, you are absolutely correct about drain/fill/filter, except, 3 different Ford dealers said they will only do a flush because of the amount of labor involved in removing frame components to drop pan

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Dodged a bullet yesterday. Check engine flashing, Tranny slipping. Plugged the old Obdi-Wan Kenobi in and misfire cylinder #2. I now carry a spare coil pack, pulled over, changed it, problem solved.

If you have 350 Ecoboost, carry spare coil pack with you.

My high speed Torque Converter shudder is gone. Now it is shuddering at time of acceleration from a stop. Ugh

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
The engine light went off on my transit. Turned out to be the crank case pressure sensor(less than 50,000 miles). But then 2 days later it turned back off. My truck......my truck......it.....it healed itself.