generator vs battery bank/inverter

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
Hey guys. Im building my van and im not sure which way I want to go for power usage. I will need to power an espar heater, rooftop a/c, ( coleman cub 9200 btu ) tv (as well as the receiver and satellite), laptop, small lights, possibly an xbox and possibly a small little refrigerator. The 1.7 cubic foot kind. I will need a generator for the rooftop a/c regardless and a battery for the espar.

So, my options are: Larger generator for everything ( I was thinking champion 3500 or 3100 watt inverter generator ) and a single deep cycle battery for the espar. I think the espar can wire directly to the battery so no need for an inverter. Or A large battery bank with an inverter for everything other than the a/c and a smaller generator for the a/c. Get a larger or second alternator to charge the battery bank when im driving, through a charger.

Im leaning toward the larger generator and a single battery because it sounds much simpler and don't have to worry about losing power at all. Plus, im going to have to buy a generator anyway for the a/c, but to be honest im a pretty big idiot about this kind of thing so I really don't know what the advantages of either are. I would love to hear some opinions. I also see some people with a battery bank AND a larger generator to charge the bank. If youre going to run a large generator anyway, why not just power directly off the generator and save the money and hassle of a battery bank? Save on fuel, I guess? My issue is weight. Im sitting at 6600 now with my fold down bed, plywood floor, full tank and me inside it. My GVWR is 9100. A champion 3500 is about 90 pounds. Those big deep cycles are pretty heavy, aren't they? I know those little fridges can suck some juice, so if it would help to just not have one, im fine with that. I could just get a really nice YETI cooler.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why waste money in ice for a cooler if your gonna have a generator and auxiliary. Do yourself a favor, get the bigger gen and two batteries you'll be glad you did.

I have a 13500 ac, fridge tv and espar and get by with one Battery and a Honda 3000. With the satellite you'll probably want two.

What type of Van do you have?

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
NissanNV2500, so space is limited. So do you charge your battery with the generator or off your alternator?

Edit: Do you run your a/c off your battery or directly to the generator?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I charge the batteries both ways. Those times that loads are slow I will use a charger from the generator.

Ac as in air-conditioned? Of the generator batteries don't work for that.. Other electrical items I run of both just depends on the situation. It's a simple one plug switch.

Personally I would consider a bigger ac unit. A 9200 will probably be fine most of the time but get in South Carolina on a 90 degree day with 95% humidity or sit in Laredo on a summer day and you'll wish you had.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
I was thinking of going with the 9200 to keep power usage down, but I may just be a copy cat and go with what youre doing. Seems simple enough and it sounds like youre living pretty comfortably. My brother is a whiz with this stuff, im sure he could set it up for me. I was looking at the brisk air 2 before I saw the 9200, I may go with that. What kind of batteries do you have and how much do you think they weigh? Ive only got 2500#s available at the moment, and with 100#s for the generator and 100#s ( roughly ) for the a/c, im really getting down to the wire with weight.

Edit: Oh yeah, what kind of charger and inverter do you use, as well?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You can run my ac. Off a good 2000 watt generator. I did it for two years. Colman mach power saver. I have an 1800 watt trip light investor I don't think a person needs to spend that on one. Go online read inverter reviews and choose one people are happy with at a reasonable cost. Don't remember the charger brand I would get something with at least 16 amps.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
9200 in a Nissan already seems like over kill to me. I run 5100 in a sprinter fine.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

The price is pretty close on the units, my main reasoning was to keep power usage down, but if ill have the power available...how insulated are you? I think xiggi and I have similar insulation. ( fiberglass )

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
You can run my ac. Off a good 2000 watt generator. I did it for two years. Colman mach power saver. I have an 1800 watt trip light investor I don't think a person needs to spend that on one. Go online read inverter reviews and choose one people are happy with at a reasonable cost. Don't remember the charger brand I would get something with at least 16 amps.

Ok, thanks for the info. What kind of battery are you using?