T-boned, now what?

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I'm still shook-up over this. Sunday nite our precious str8 truck was t-boned by a four wheeler who ran a stop sign at a goodly speed after exiting I-74 in Greensburg, IN right in front of the Petro. The driver was alone and thankfully was not hurt. My wife was in the bunk and didn't fair as well, but nothing too serious, chiropractor said x-ray shows whip lash. All cut and dry as too fault, as luck would have it, a deputy sheriff was right behind her, witnessed it and caught it on video. Driver is insured thru Progressive.

So, about $6,500 damage to our 1.3 million mi. '07 Georgia Classic M2. The fuel tank was punctured and freightliner says they'll basically have to build one, 2 to 4 weeks.

Body shop told me Progressive (have not spoke with them or adjuster as yet) likes to do a lot of the parts locating and shipping during the repair so not sure what they're going to do on the tank, but I'd prefer new for obvious reasons.

I could use some suggestions on how to gain 'lost revenue' while the truck is down. Like, do they go on gross rev or net on tax return? What am i obliged or not to provide for proof of income, 1099's, tax returns etc.? Any input appreciated.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Only a Mod can delete a thread.

Sucks about the accident.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I would think copies of your checks over a period of maybe 4 months would be proof of income . That's a shame as I just recently pulled the fuel tank off my m2 and installed it on my current truck it was the all minim 100 gal , what other parts do you need as I still have my full cab and chassis located in medina oh. I'll gladly sell the parts from it!

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

ShellyB007

Insurance Guru
Motor Carrier Executive
Completely understandable that you were shook up because it sounds like a scary accident!

We run across this on a daily basis and offer free help with lost revenue for all of our CIS clients regardless of the insurance companies involved. I don’t know if you’re our client because I don’t know who you are, but if you want to give John a call this morning he said he’d be glad to help you. 330.864.1511 or [email protected] www.MyCISagent.com in case you don’t know who we are, Retidepxe. Shelly Benisch

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Do you belong to ooidia, if not join them and they will help

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I hope all current and prospective expediters make note of Shelly Benisch's post above. Expediters live daily with the risk of being in a serious accident. When one happens, it is very comforting to have an agency like CIS in your corner. It is also very rare to find an agency like CIS.

Whatever your insurance costs/coverage may be, run them past CIS to see if you can do better. And if the price is even close to in the ball park, go with CIS. There is far, far more to insurance than the price.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
tknight, I'll keep you in mind on parts. ShellyB007, sounds like i should've been a CIS client, we are insured thru our carrier's (Panther) insurance. I've never shopped them because it has always seemed reasonable. We were on a load at the time of the accident. Thanx all. I'm ready to get this behind us and back on the road.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Good I've got hood doors windows interior and a dead Mbe 906 motor almost new 6 speed trans and full rear end wheels too front bumper and radiator are intact

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You should be able to collect downtime but not always. If you are in a no fault state like Michigan, not too likely. Progressive has a optional daily allotment to aid in those situations. Won't pay everything but it helps.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We were sure glad when we were "t-boned" in our last truck we were with CIS as they took care of everything while we went on to drive a truck for Expediters Services until our truck was back out of the shop. CIS took a bad situation and made it as good as they good and repaired our truck to like new condition with no arguing and no hassle. They even gave us the guidelines to follow to figure in for our down time if we had needed that.

Reactions: SWTexas1

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We were sure glad when we were "t-boned" in our last truck we were with CIS as they took care of everything while we went on to drive a truck for Expediters Services until our truck was back out of the shop. CIS took a bad situation and made it as good as they good and repaired our truck to like new condition with no arguing and no hassle. They even gave us the guidelines to follow to figure in for our down time if we had needed that.

CIS has always been there for us, they are great people

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can post all that stuff on the free classifieds.
Charge it to my account.

Waiting for the Mrs at the mall, I got bored and went to see if TK listed his parts in the classifieds.
Possibly a sign of the economy, there are way more items than I've ever seen.
A little used Espar for a Sprinter.
A nice swing away mount and generator.
Another swing away mount for a generator.
Plenty of WG equipment.
And some M2 parts.

Edit: There's more
Hyperdrive had 4 like new pallet jacks for sale.
And some guy claims he can do a 12 hr( dealer book) repair in one to two hours. $500. I guess he thinks he's a dealer.

Last edited:
Reactions: thump_rrr

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
The Body Shop foreman pointed out to me my frame is bent, pushed in about 1/4 inch behind the tank. Said he can straighten it. When I was in the car business, a thing called 'diminished value' was common.

We planned on driving this truck for another 5-10 yrs and had just spent $25K putting a reman C-9 in it. I keep this truck immaculate. When we're not driving it, I'm doing preventive mntnce and polishing on it all the time despite the miles. Estimate on repairs is around $7k.

Question I have now, is diminished value something i should pursue on a commercial vehicle '07 M2 w/ 1.3mill?4

Progressive adjuster sd he has to cert. mail extensive paper work on the lost revenue. This was a week ago, fixing to call and see what the delay is there. Gotta stay after 'em, sure wasn't my idea of a great day when their insured decided to come barreling thru a stop sign choosing me to hit!

ShellyB007

Insurance Guru
Motor Carrier Executive
Diminished Value is not often discussed or used in the commercial truck world like it is in the car business. This is because there are no "Carfax" type systems to cause difficulty on "real" or "minor" incidents in the truck's history that would cause red alerts decreasing its value. The repair shop doing a good job then warranting the repair will be more of a factor.
Progressive is typically fair and quick to resolve loss of revenue because they write so much commercial truck insurance their claims reps are familiar with loss of use on both ends. It's when you run into a claims rep with little experience in trucking who have never heard the term "loss of use." We had one insurance company say straight out, 'You tell that trucker to come down here to our court house and sue us, we don't pay Loss of Use.'

tknight

Veteran Expediter
You got hit by someone insured by geico, good luck when my parked 45' Motorhome got plowed into the rear end while parked geico told me point blank that the guy had minimum coverage and to have my insurance pay all damages as it was beyond their clients coverage ! Then have my insurance co sue them!!!! 45k damage to frame engine and transmission + my insurance paid it then fired me as a client the following renewal period citing me as aback risk as it was the second accident with that coach and non insured / under insured drivers

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That sucks but it's how insurance works. It's the states that set minimums so until they require more everyone with a higher value vehicle is at risk. Some people have enough sense and resources to insure themselves beyond minimums some just plain can't afford anything more.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I hear ya on the state minimum which the adjuster has already alluded to as the at fault party only carries Ohio state minimums. Hopefully it won't be too long before we're back on the road and the loss of use won't put it over.

ShellyB007, that makes since. I've seen some fairly detailed carfax reports, or at least more then one would expect. I suppose Rigdig reports would not be as detailed. I do see tho the Rigdig will specify it as a federally recordable accident since the other vehicle had to be towed. Maybe it won't hurt to work that angle and ask the adjuster tomorrow, will post their response afterwards. The shop is a Progressive recommended shop (Dallas Service Center) so they warranty workmanship (not parts that will wear out) for some period.

tknight, that would surely suck. You would think the insurance company would want to keep you on to collect more premiums and hope for and upgrade to add more uninsured motorist if possible.