REAL ID

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Five states, including my own Pennsylvania, are noncompliant with the Real ID standards for drivers' licenses. For us, that means you won't be able to gain admission to Federal facilities and/or nuclear power plants starting 30 January 2017. More info:

Current Status of States/Territories | Homeland Security

I was asked several years ago by a carrier to acquire some form of compliant ID, so for $55 I got a passport card. Within the next day or two, my lovely bride will be sending for hers as well. It's an easy process, but it takes 4-6 weeks to come to your house. Also, you will have to send in your original birth certificate and a copy of your driver's license. For more information, visit

U.S. Passports & International Travel

Good luck!

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Five states, including my own Pennsylvania, are noncompliant with the Real ID standards for drivers' licenses. For us, that means you won't be able to gain admission to Federal facilities and/or nuclear power plants starting 30 January 2017. More info:

Current Status of States/Territories | Homeland Security

I was asked several years ago by a carrier to acquire some form of compliant ID, so for $55 I got a passport card. Within the next day or two, my lovely bride will be sending for hers as well. It's an easy process, but it takes 4-6 weeks to come to your house. Also, you will have to send in your original birth certificate and a copy of your driver's license. For more information, visit

U.S. Passports & International Travel

Good luck!

Check out the current status of states and territories so you can plan ahead. Thank you for posting this timely article including the links needed. Luckily my state already has the Real ID plus I also have the passport card.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have been able to use our TWIC card for our second form of ID with only one time they required a Passport

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fly in the ointment: The clerk at the county courthouse in Findlay, Ohio told us that Nancy's birth certificate would not be accepted by the State Department because it lacks a raised seal. So, add $21.50 and a couple weeks to the process

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Fly in the ointment: The clerk at the county courthouse in Findlay, Ohio told us that Nancy's birth certificate would not be accepted by the State Department because it lacks a raised seal. So, add $21.50 and a couple weeks to the process

I had to send a request for my birth certificate to Holland and it took months. Finally got it but it's still been questioned on numerous occasions. Lots of hassle to be legal anymore. My daughter went to DMV today after a recent marriage and went through Hell just to change her name. Just praying our country isn't doomed. I have the driver's license with all the requirements until 2024. Heck...by then I'll be too old to drive. Haha.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have CDL, TWIC, Passport Card and Passport Book...pretty sure I'm covered

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to send a request for my birth certificate to Holland and it took months. Finally got it but it's still been questioned on numerous occasions. Lots of hassle to be legal anymore. My daughter went to DMV today after a recent marriage and went through Hell just to change her name. Just praying our country isn't doomed. I have the driver's license with all the requirements until 2024. Heck...by then I'll be too old to drive. Haha.
Complete with English translation on official letterhead and all that, too, right? My brother and his wife are missionaries, and tried to get permanent residence in France. Reams of paperwork between Paris and Guebwiller, and eventually they decided to let go of it. There had even been talk of their having to remarry in France because French law doesn't recognize religious weddings; you have to marry at city hall in a civil ceremony.

kg

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
I have CDL, TWIC, Passport Card and Passport Book...pretty sure I'm covered
Makes you wonder when you see someone with all these credentials where the bottom is for rates in this business. We as expeditors keep amping up what we bring to the table but our returns on investment just continue to disappear.

Stay safe
KG

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm bringing less to the table. When I was required to pay for a background check to renew my Hazmat Endorsement I let it drop. I'm sure info gleaned from a hazmat background check would match info from a FAST background check. Why pay twice. When my FAST Card expired I let that drop also. I've been denied access because I don't have a TWIT Card yet still managed to get unloaded.

Now I can't wear my glasses when I renew my passport. Wouldn't want any glare interfering with an optical iris identification scan.