Ford Transit question.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Transit latches stick down and take up space just like the vans did. Like he said it is not 74 inches. Those are tall doors I wonder if removing the latches would have adverse affect over time.

Sent from my SM-G925T using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great info, please keep it coming...that latch thing would send me back to sprinter or promaster...i don't need the extra interior height unless the doors open that high too...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
On my Transit the door opening is 71" from the plastic factory door sill to the latch. Those door latches are most likely installed for a reason. I would not remove them permanently. Occasionally I would need to remove the latch on my Chevy to load freight. I would either replace it once loaded or immediately after unloading.

Reactions: schwanman

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've decided that I have to go van shopping with a tape measure, those body up fitter pdfs don't match up with what you guys are saying the finished vans are.

At least I know my minimums now...company says 162 inches long, 71 inches high, 53 between wheelwells and 3000 lb capacity (anybody with a 162" long Promaster? If not guess I'm buying a Transit)

jaxonviking

Expert Expediter
Met a Transit Connect guy in Wisconsin who was taking a skid (with maybe 400# of parts) to Laredo, TX. He was going to make a tidy profit on the run, but was going to have to get a motel room on the way down. Sleeping in one of those little Transits seems pretty impossible unless you're 22 or something. My biggest issue would be small tires and a generally fatiguing ride. Little vehicles tend to be bouncy. Not appealing for a 21 hour drive.

MikeDamone

Not a Member
Researching
The other week I saw a driver with one of those ford transit mini deals. I tried to find the important specs online. I believe the max payload capacity to be at or around 1500lbs. My real question is it just big enough to carry two skids. Most skids I haul are standard 48X48. Some are smaller. If you drive one of these and can tell me if you can fit two skids, one in front of the other...I would really appreciate it.

Also if you drive one, do you like it? Does it handle good? Thanks and drive safe! =)

I drive one for small package local deliveries at the moment, and no, you aren't getting 2 skids in it. 6 foot cargo capacity. Even if you wanted to scoot the seats all the way forward and be cramped in, the cargo area is on a raised platform, so the skid would hang off the edge. Gets great gas milage. Its low and small so it handles pretty well, but its not a vehicle I would want to drive long distance in. Also, you don't have much room at all for living quarters. I wouldn't want to use one of these for otr expediting.

Reactions: guido4475

guido4475

Not a Member
Good idea, but just as well, I would never expect any kind of longevity or durability out of a tiny van designed for city deliveries. The money saved most likely would be spent on repairs. Cant expect a boy to do a man's job.

guido4475

Not a Member
175K, 30 since tranny flush and the Torque Converter is "rumbling" again.

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch
I'm really disappointed as well as embarrassed by Ford for putting out a product that is awesome looking, but with many known problems. A transmission shouldn't be having problems this early on for a new model, especially after they made the public wait for how many years before it finally made it out onto the dealers lots. It should of been flawless, with the amount of time it took them to make it right for production. To be honest, I would love to have one, a new Transit, but after seeing and hearing of these and a few other problems, why??? Who wants a payment and a repair??? I'd rather go and get another E-350 Spartan like I currently have. Sure, it's not the prettiest of expedite vans out there, not the most fuel efficient, but it is built to take a beating, without a doubt. And cheap to maintain and repair.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

guido4475

Not a Member
Oh yea, have you tried to add "Friction modifier" to the transmission? That does seem to help a great deal on Ford Crown Vic and Grand Marquis transmissions that develop the usual torque converter shudder. You can get it at Summit Racing, just type in the search bar "Dr. Tranny shudder eliminator." It's a tiny tube, about 8 bucks, but does work. I think you can get it at Autozone as well. Every one who has used it has had instant, permanent results. I will add it in my transmissions in the Grand Marquis and Ford van when it comes time to have them serviced.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Thanks, might try. Everything I read says the problem will come and go as particulates circulate and cling to different surfaces then move on? Like you, I am disappointed in the expectations I had. Not sure I will get the 400K that is needed - minimum

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh yea, have you tried to add "Friction modifier" to the transmission? That does seem to help a great deal on Ford Crown Vic and Grand Marquis transmissions that develop the usual torque converter shudder. You can get it at Summit Racing, just type in the search bar "Dr. Tranny shudder eliminator." It's a tiny tube, about 8 bucks, but does work. I think you can get it at Autozone as well. Every one who has used it has had instant, permanent results. I will add it in my transmissions in the Grand Marquis and Ford van when it comes time to have them serviced.

The biggest problem with the friction modifier is figuring out how to get it into the transmission. There is no trans fluid dipstick to pour it down! You'd have to open up something on the side or bottom of the trans case to see/check or add any fluid. But I've also been told that they work great, but the one Ford sells otc is supposed to be the best one and the best priced friction modifier available.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
How do Ford dealerships do a transmission flush? Couldn't Fords friction modifier be added immediately after a transmission flush?

Reactions: Ftransit

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
How do Ford dealerships do a transmission flush? Couldn't Fords friction modifier be added immediately after a transmission flush?
Good question? But, can you really trust them to put it in. So far this year I have had various services at 5 different Ford shops. 2 very good, 1 good, 1 acceptable and 1 broke it off in me.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I do know that very few have Transit "experts" and we will all face Transmission issues probablyand they hate working on them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do know that very few have Transit "experts" and we will all face Transmission issues probablyand they hate working on them.

not to worry....I stopped at a Dodge dealer the other day to pick up some Sprinter type Coolant....I asked him about the Promaster and he said the " A What"? never seen one he said....LOL

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

The biggest problem with the friction modifier is figuring out how to get it into the transmission. There is no trans fluid dipstick to pour it down! You'd have to open up something on the side or bottom of the trans case to see/check or add any fluid. But I've also been told that they work great, but the one Ford sells otc is supposed to be the best one and the best priced friction modifier available.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
how do they fill it after the flush? We sprinters have no dipstick but do have an access tube for techs to measure and refill...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
175K, 30 since tranny flush and the Torque Converter is "rumbling" again.

I'm really disappointed as well as embarrassed by Ford for putting out a product that is awesome looking, but with many known problems. A transmission shouldn't be having problems this early on for a new model, especially after they made the public wait for how many years before it finally made it out onto the dealers lots. It should of been flawless, with the amount of time it took them to make it right for production. To be honest, I would love to have one, a new Transit, but after seeing and hearing of these and a few other problems, why??? Who wants a payment and a repair??? I'd rather go and get another E-350 Spartan like I currently have. Sure, it's not the prettiest of expedite vans out there, not the most fuel efficient, but it is built to take a beating, without a doubt. And cheap to maintain and repair.
its hard to believe..these have been in the UK and Europe for a long time...what did the American engineers screw up when they brought it over here and did modifications to Americanize it?...

Reactions: ntimevan

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good question? But, can you really trust them to put it in. So far this year I have had various services at 5 different Ford shops. 2 very good, 1 good, 1 acceptable and 1 broke it off in me.

That had to hurt! Did you get it removed?

Reactions: scottm4211