Medical Examiner's Certificate

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Passed my DOT physical today. I got a new Medical Examiner's Certificate printed on card stock that measures 8½" x 5½". I asked for the wallet size card and was told that beginning this year, this is what you get. Is this size "card" common elsewhere? I went to a new clinic this time. In the past I paid $50 and more recently it went up to $60. I always got an ME Certificate that was laminated and when folded in half was the size of a business card, fitting easily in a wallet. Today I paid $99 and she didn't even fondle my testicles but some dude did measure my neck and I got this gigantic certificate. (insert disappointed emoji here)o_O

Reactions: ntimevan

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Passed my DOT physical today. I got a new Medical Examiner's Certificate printed on card stock that measures 8½" x 5½". I asked for the wallet size card and was told that beginning this year, this is what you get. Is this size "card" common elsewhere? I went to a new clinic this time. In the past I paid $50 and more recently it went up to $60. I always got an ME Certificate that was laminated and when folded in half was the size of a business card, fitting easily in a wallet. Today I paid $99 and she didn't even fondle my testicles but some dude did measure my neck and I got this gigantic certificate. (insert disappointed emoji here)o_O
Sounds like the size card I got.

Reactions: Moot

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
...Today I paid $99 and she didn't even fondle my testicles.......
testicular-cancer.jpeg

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What are they thinking? I was under the impression we had to carry these at all times. I own my van so I put it in with my insurance papers, permits etc. What do company drivers do? This monstrosity folded up would fill out a wallet so you couldn't sit on it. As a former company driver I was assigned a tractor but there was no guarantee I would always drive it.

What's with the no turning your head and cough thing? I was given a gown and instructed to only remove my shirt. For $99 I should have at least stripped to my underwear. I noticed at my last DOT physical I wasn't required to do the 5 second in-place jog to see if I would keel over. The price of a DOT physical keeps going up while the thoroughness of the examination lessens. Cough, cough.

Reactions: ntimevan

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my DOT physical a few months ago and had the same discussion; no wallet card. Also didn't get a testicle check, but that I didn't miss.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The reason you don't get a wallet card is because, "As of January 30, 2015, Class A, B, or C commercial drivers which certify as “non-exempted interstate” drivers are no longer required to carry their Medical Examiner Certificate in their possession.

You have to send a copy to the state driver's license authority, and they keep it on file as part of your CDL. If you want a wallet card, you can scan and reduce the card to a smaller size.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Never never ever gotten a wallet size medical card, always been approximately 4x5 or what ever.
My understanding not all states are on board with the self certified system yet so ya still need to keep a copy hidden in your truck or wallet just in case.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Checking for a hernia( cough ) I always considered silly... never ever did the jogging and always got like a 4 x 5 sized copy ...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Checking for a hernia( cough ) I always considered silly... never ever did the jogging and always got like a 4 x 5 sized copy ...

My last one, the Doc did it all, why I get one is beyond me, I always fail since I'm blind in one eye!

King of short runs.

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got my DOT phys. done right after Labor day in Iowa ... same Doctor as 2 years ago .. same cold hands boys check.. same x-mas Goose also... new bigger forms ... but same Foldable 3" × 9" laminated wallet card .. and then go to County court house so Drivers lisence office can forward a copy to State DOT office ... good to 2 more years ...

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Vehicle registration/renewal has nothing to do with DOT physicals and a Medical Examiner's card.