I have three trucks and no clue help me please

BIGTRAIN

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I saw that truck for sale in the classified section . Was for sale in your state . Has the 3126 CAT . I just bought a newer truck myself but had the same truck as you only a 2000. Has just over a million miles and other than injectors and a radiator ( injectors 3X ) been a great motor . Good luck to you .

Reactions: Marshall2142

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I think I saw that truck for sale in the classified section . Was for sale in your state . Has the 3126 CAT . I just bought a newer truck myself but had the same truck as you only a 2000. Has just over a million miles and other than injectors and a radiator ( injectors 3X ) been a great motor . Good luck to you .
Thanks brother probably was this truck he had it priced at 15k I bought it 12k only a few minor issues I had to fix on it about 300 in parts. Hope I'm blessed as you were and get a 1000000 out of this. Doing all my filters air cartridge purge valve getting extra belts hoses n clamps have my tool box bottle jack and 4ft pipe 3/4 drive wrench n socket for roadside wheel change. Extra lights and hope that the road ahead will be open and nice to my truck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I gave my auto biography if that will help a little into giving me the best insight I will gladly listen and apply all knowledge

Your story has lots to it; more than I dare try to understand based on a brief post. You seem to buy the trucks first and ask questions later. That's not a mentality I can grasp since I'm a research and planning kind of guy. I look before I leap. You seem to leap and then look.

You also seem to have an entrepreneur's spine. You keep leaning into the dream whatever the setbacks may be. The problem is the dream is not well defined before the effort begins. When that happens, you don't own the business, the business owns you. Your willingness to act is admirable. Your willingness to act without a plan is what gets you into trouble.

Your fleet, as it now exists, expresses conflicting priorities and desires. It may be wise to put some deep thought into a question that only you can answer: What do I really want, and why do I want it?

Once you know that, it will be easy to chart your course and begin your journey anew.

Take some time to think, not about your trucks but about you.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I am going to sit back and be a student here out thanks for the welcome I feel more comfortable with my decision of going over the road and hope I can use my skills as a diesel mechanic to keep my wheels turning. Thanks everyone I will keep you all informed on my journey.

Be careful about over-valuing your diesel mechanic skills. Granted, there is not a non-mechanic trucker out there who does not wish he/she had more mechanical skills. And granted, maintaining your truck well and being able to do some of your own work will reduce your operating costs and down time.

But notice that when the truck is running well, which it will most of the time, the value of your mechanical expertise to your business is exactly zero. When there is no repair bill in play, there is no money to save by doing your own work. You don't have to be a mechanic to keep the truck running well. When Diane and I were in the business and on the road, our truck had very little down time because we followed the maintenance schedule, and we had it checked at the first sign of trouble.

Diane and I were a husband/wife team. It was comforting to me to know that in a previous career she was a Registered Nurse. But I only asked her to call on those skills when I was sick or injured, which seldom happened. If I needed medicine, the pharmacy charged us full price. There was no discount because Diane knew more about medicine than the average person. As with a nurse in the truck, so too with a mechanic.

Also notice that things happen on the road that a mechanic and an ordinary truck driver will be equally affected by. If you need to be towed or if heavy equipment is needed for a repair, it does not matter if you are a mechanic. The bill will be the same.

It's good that you have mechanical skills. But you don't make money as an expediter by being a good mechanic. You make money as an expediter by being a good expediter (with the business skills successful expediters have).

Last edited:

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Your story has lots to it; more than I dare try to understand based on a brief post. You seem to buy the trucks first and ask questions later. That's not a mentality I can grasp since I'm a research and planning kind of guy. I look before I leap. You seem to leap and then look.

You also seem to have an entrepreneur's spine. You keep leaning into the dream whatever the setbacks may be. The problem is the dream is not well defined before the effort begins. When that happens, you don't own the business, the business owns you. Your willingness to act is admirable. Your willingness to act without a plan is what gets you into trouble.

Your fleet, as it now exists, expresses conflicting priorities and desires. It may be wise to put some deep thought into a question that only you can answer: What do I really want, and why do I want it?

Once you know that, it will be easy to chart your course and begin your journey anew.

Take some time to think, not about your trucks but about you.
At first your 3 responses bothered and even annoyed me so I started reading them over and over again until I full understood what you were getting at thanks for your thought provoking responses they actually provided me with the best insight of all these great responses. Thanks!

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Be careful about over-valuing your diesel mechanic skills. Granted, there is not a non-mechanic trucker out there who does not wish he/she had more mechanical skills. And granted, maintaining your truck well and being able to do some of your own work will reduce your operating costs and down time.

But notice that when the truck is running well, which it will most of the time, the value of your mechanical expertise to your business is exactly zero. When there is no repair bill in play, there is no money to save by doing your own work. You don't have to be a mechanic to keep the truck running well. When Diane and I were in the business and on the road, our truck had very little down time because we followed the maintenance schedule, and we had it checked at the first sign of trouble.

Diane and I were a husband/wife team. It was comforting to me to know that in a previous career she was a Registered Nurse. But I only asked her to call on those skills when I was sick or injured, which seldom happened. If I needed medicine, the pharmacy charged us full price. There was no discount because Diane knew more about medicine than the average person. As with a nurse in the truck, so too with a mechanic.

Also notice that things happen on the road that a mechanic and an ordinary truck driver will be equally affected by. If you need to be towed or if heavy equipment is needed for a repair, it does not matter if you are a mechanic. The bill will be the same.

It's good that you have mechanical skills. But you don't make money as an expediter by being a good mechanic. You make money as an expediter by being a good expediter (with the business skills successful expediters have).
I would appreciate it if you would take some time to speak with me. If you could please pm me your number and a good time to call conversation gets way more accomplished at a "expedited rate lol"

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At first your 3 responses bothered and even annoyed me so I started reading them over and over again until I full understood what you were getting at thanks for your thought provoking responses they actually provided me with the best insight of all these great responses. Thanks!

It's in your best interest to read Ateams post very carefully he has good business sense, he and his wife did very well in this business,

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
It's in your best interest to read Ateams post very carefully he has good business sense, he and his wife did very well in this business,

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
I got that sense after getting over myself. Hope to receive a pm from him so maybe we could speak. Could use a mentor.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I got that sense after getting over myself. Hope to receive a pm from him so maybe we could speak. Could use a mentor.
Why don't you sent him your number. Some people are a bit hesitant giving out phone numbers to people they don't know. No offense intended.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

While I am honored by your request and confidence in me, mentoring is something I am unable to do for two reasons. First, it takes a lot of time. Time is something I have little of these days. We're in a different kind of business now; one requires a great deal of time and offers precious little freedom like expediting does. (Our choice. That's not a complaint). Second, the expediting business continually changes and Diane and I have been out of it for nearly three years. I'm comfortable giving feedback and life-coach advice in this forum as I did above; but about expediting itself, I am not up to date. Some things that made sense a while back might be the wrong things to do today.

I'll close by saying that the more I read your replies, the easier it gets to believe that you can find a way to make it happen. It takes a lot of ego strength and self-awareness to move from an irritated state to an open-minded state and reconsider opinions first formed. Trucking is filled with people who will form an opinion in an instant with little thought beyond that impulse, and then defend that opinion to the death. You seem more open-minded. That is a characteristic successful expediters have in common.

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
So the greatest question is why I choose to become a expedite trucker not for Ateams amusement the question was posed but to make me slow down and think...... So thinking I have been doing.
I want to create a trucking and logistics company. I do not want to be just a truck driver. I want to own a mixed fleet of vehicles and use them to transport my own loads. I want to also broker loads for other companies and drivers for $. I want a small whearehouse to put together loads for my trucks and for other companies to use my wharehouse. I want to service all my vehicles in house.
Pretty rough idea of what I want my company to be but I know how to work hard and put the right people together to help me achieve my goals. I am a hammer and in order for me to change out the kingpins other tools will be needed for me to get the job done. Management of people is my strongpoint leadership is my skill I will use these tools to achieve my ends in putting this all together.
I have to start somewhere at putting all my skills to use in making this dream possible. First by getting in the trucks and learning the nature of the business from the bottom. I have to re-coup and profit on the investments I have made to aquire more trucks and know in which manner to use them and the best ways to make them profitable so I can get off my trucks and get into focusing on getting my own frieght and having my finances in order to be able to shift to covering my expenses when I first get into the brokering side which will require me to start a seperate company. I tahn want to get into wharehousing and lastly when I have put things together where I have good people in place to achieve all these things and everyone is getting a good healthy plate off the table I want to go in the garage and fix all my trucks with a couple of good mechanics I know. I will come out of course here and there to ask everyone what they are working on and keep the focus of making SOS TRUCKING & LOGISTICS not just my dream but everyones dream I hand pick to work with!
I aint a smart man I knew what I wanted but I just get sidetracked and stutter at times cause i jump around alot always trying the next best thing to get me to my dream which makes me seem totally lost which I may have been but find my bearings adjust and search out the next best way and having found you guys to talk to I am sure along this journy I will as right now find the guidence I need to make these things happen.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have three trucks and no clue help me please
I have three clues, no trucks and one cargo van; I can't help you.

I am a hammer...
The problem with being a hammer or holding a hammer in your hand, is everything looks like a nail. People included.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Management of people is my strongpoint leadership is my skill ...

That's important. In fact, it is of central importance since you envision a company larger than one you can run without employees. Allow me to set up the scenario where someone is applying for the job of managing the company you envision. And say you are the applicant.

The interviewer, seated with others who work for the company, asks you, "You say on your resume that management of people is your strong point and leadership is your skill. Tell us about your previous human resources experience. What people have you led before? Also, please tell us about a time when you led your team to accomplish something that would not have otherwise been accomplished without your leadership; and tell us what leadership techniques you used to produce that result."

Last edited:

Marshall2142

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
I was a shop foreman for a busy charter bus company out of NYC. We had a mixed fleet of busses from Ford mini buses to MCI motor coaches. In all we had a fleet of about 60 buses give or take depending on buses being sold put out of service and bought we keep the number at around 60. I had a payroll that allowed me to have 4.5 mechanics on payroll. I was responsible for motivating the men and keeping a positive work environment which I saw was the key to my success there. I did not sulk on the problem or allow my guys to complain to me or with me I would carefully deflect any negative or unproductive energy not conductive to getting the job done to focusing on the problem and providing a fresh look or course of action, one gets in a rut when working on a problem for to long. Most the time it's just a fresh set of eyes to look at the problem from a different way to get the problem fixed. I learned to always make myself available visible and approachable always make myself busy not with just the paper work and my duties I usually waited till everyone went home to do my work I felt like leading from the front and working alongside with the men was the most important part of my job because most of the foreman I had when I was coming up were mostly unhelpful as was the guy who's spot I took. Everyday as a mechanic we make the impossible happen everyday it's a new problem and the bus always needs to leave in a half hour lol. Ounce I took over and changed the culture of complaining, this how it's always done, and f#%^ this place attitude (I had to get rid of the guys that where there before me they remembered me as being green and dispised me for getting the spot) brought new guys in kept a lets do this together attitude after months got caught up on the work to begin the focus on preventive maintenance the following 3 years we rarely had brake downs. We had a average DOT pass rate of 96 they are extremely tough on buses in NYC we got it done. I left this company working fleet to a repair shop for more money horrible choice as I hate to cheat people out of money. So I got into trucking after talking with many at the repair shop.
I am familiar with working with dispatch vendors management sales everything falls on the foreman and his ability to keep the buses rolling which starts with keeping the team together.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Your identified strengths include fleet maintenance and staff management experience.

Have you ever done a SWOT analysis? SWOT is a tool that aids in business planning. I don't know your financial circumstances but your posts seem to indicate a negative cash flow, is that correct? If so, enter negative cash flow as a weakness in your SWOT analysis. Lack of a business plan is also a weakness. Some of the suggestions offered in this thread about how to best use your trucks might be plugged into the grid as opportunities.

Do a Google search to read more about SWOT. Notice that a clearly-stated objective must be present for a good SWOT analysis to be done. Note also that doing a SWOT on yourself personally is different than doing one for your company.

SWOT.PNG

Last edited:

SpeedExpo8

Active Expediter
THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE GUY WHO POSTED THIS THREAD AND HIM ONLY.

I like that you took the initiative to find another option to keep those units moving.
I can definitely help you with moving your large straight truck, that's all I run. It must have a DOT regulated sleeper, Box must be at least 22 feet in length. And I run teams only.

If you're interested DM me.
I will need to discuss a lot more in details.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why for him and him only ?

You don't love the rest of us ?

I sure hope you don't see a vulnerability you hope to exploit.