Get into the game

Coyote86

New Recruit
Researching
So a little background. I'm new to the forum and I'm seriously considering van expediting. I've worked in the gas and oil field for the last 6 years and the ups and downs have become far more and longer downs than ups.
Before gas and oil I worked in the shipping dept of a printing company. I consistently loaded vans and spoke to drivers and the idea never left my mind.
So here I am laid off and looking into this as a possible option. Some of my questions would be about buying a used van. Best way to get into the business would be using a dispatcher?
If I do decide to do this my brother would is more than interested in helping which would keep the van running at all times. So what should we expect just starting out?
That's just a couple of my many questions and I thank you in advance.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you think the downs of the oil and gas fields are mostly down, just wait until you get into van expediting. Van expediting ang the oil industry have some very apt comparisons. Supply and demand, glut.

Six years ago, when you were talking to those van drivers, it wasn't as bad. It was pretty good, actually. But the van expediting industry is not what it used to be. Too many people looking to enter the industry cheaply and easily, and not enough loads to put in them. What were were running for $1 or more a mile even a year ago, we're now running for 70 cents a mile, and we're going half as many loads.

The best way to get into expediting is with a CDL and a straight truck. Especially if you can team. And it's best to start out driving for a fleet owner at a reputable carrier than it is to try and find you own loads.

Reactions: TeamPaul

Coyote86

New Recruit
Researching
I really appreciate your quick response and honesty. Looking at the free load boards you would think the industry is brimming with van loads. In your opinion why has the shipping market tanked?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Looking at the free load boards you would think the industry is brimming with van loads.
Well, they are, for van trailers. For cargo vans, no. It's rare to find a load on the free load boards that will fit in a cargo van, either dimensions, or the load weighs 20,000 pounds or something.

In your opinion why has the shipping market tanked?
The shipping market hasn't tanked. There are just as many loads now as there ever was. The problem is the dramatic increase in the number of cargo vans who have entered the industry thanks to very little up-front investment (in time and money) to get in. "It's just driving, I can drive, I've been driving all my life, and a used cargo van is cheap. It's easy money!"

It used to be you could deliver in a town and there might be one or two other vans there, and you'd get out in a day, two at most. Now the same town might have 10 or 15 sitting there, and you could sit there for a week, and the only reason you'd get out then is because you took a load paying 60 cents a mile.

It's a shipper's market. Too many vans means you'll sit longer, and when you do get loads they're cheap.

Used to be I could deliver to some rat hole town like Pittsburgh :D and there'd only be me there, maybe one other. Currently there are 18 within a 50 mile radius of Pittsburgh.

They can keep straight trucks loaded and happy (for the most part). Not that many people want to get into a straight truck because it's more expensive, it requires a CDL, you have to log hours, you have to be more responsible. You have to treat it like a business.

WeGoneMakeIt

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
So I'm new to this i currently have contracts with Amazon but want to get into Exp work. I'm on load boards and see this your telling me this is for a Straight Truck ?

2016-03-24 ACWORTH, GA HOLLY POND, AL Van

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dry van means tractor trailer. Of course look at the size and weight too lol
Well, it doesn't say "dry van" it just says "van". But yes, WeGoneMakeIt, "van" means a "dry van trailer."

The load boards are primarily for tractor-trailers and other big trucks. The "dry van" is by far the most common type of freight trailer hauled by trucking companies. On those loads boards you basically have dry vans (usually shortened to simply "van"), reefer (refrigerated), flat bed (including step-decks, low boys, etc), tanker, dump truck, and many others.

Take a look at the list of truck types for the DAT board. You'll see 21 different types of "van" trucks, including "van hotshot." But not a single one of those refers to a cargo van or Sprinter.

Occasionally you will find loads listed on the load boards that will actually fit into a cargo van and isn't overweight. But it's rare. Like Dan said, look at the size and weight. It won't take too long before you realize that looking for cargo van freight on truck load boards is an exercise in futility.

Reactions: RoadTime

Elvis

New Recruit
Dispatcher
You can try finding your own loads and wish you luck but i have alot of people come to our company saying they have a hard time finding load or just tired of looking for it after a long shift. Anyone interested in getting loads for their sprinter van or alike can contact me. As of now the loads pay .75 to 1.00 a mile for long runs or .90 to 1.50 for short runs. Straight trucks and semi get paid more a mile. Text me at 315 542 8333 for information.