My 2015 Ford Transit 3.2L I5 Diesel after 1 month review

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There's someone who paid 100 dollars too much...that's backwards, fill up in US till you go back to US ;)
Not much of a difference right now. Diesel in Windsor is around $3.80 for a US gallon and around $3.23 in Michigan converted to CDN dollar not even taking into account HST rebate.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh...paying 1.95 us so 2.57 can = 68c/l, I know I paid 77 last week on ambassador bridge...its 95c and up where I live

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
PA is expensive for fuel, especially Pittsburgh, but it ain't $3.80 a gallon!

Modersical

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I have ~4,000 miles on my Transit 3500, and so far not quite gotten 20 mpg yet.

Fuel here in Arkansas varies widely; this week the high was $2.85 at a Pilot, and low was at a Sam's Club for $2.40/gal.

I find that I need to go ~175 miles to Ford Dealer for oil change, and I am looking into changing it myself. Where would I find full helpful info on this. I understand I will need 5w-40 full synthetic diesel oil, an FS500S oil filter, and a drain pan that holds a whopping big 12 quarts of used motor oil. I would prefer a complete "oil change for dummies with 3.2 L Diesel" info, as it is new to me, and looking under the hood, hardly anything is recognizable.

I don't want to get in the situation of changing the oil and running out of room in my drain pan as I did on the first car I owned! Ran the oil drain pan over and made a mell of a hess! It was a 1953 Plymouth Hy-Drive I-6 (gas, of course). It held 13 qts of oil; crankcase and transmission fluid was all one huge motoroil compartment!

Modersical

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
You won't get good to great fuel mileage with BioBlend Fuel!

Hmmmmm. I guess I don't have an option as to what is available at the pump?

Why are people allowing bio-products to be added to our fuels, both gas and diesel, when it ups the cost , is not as efficient, and causes problems sooner?

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
You won't get good to great fuel mileage with BioBlend Fuel!

Hmmmmm. I guess I don't have an option as to what is available at the pump?

Why are people allowing bio-products to be added to our fuels, both gas and diesel, when it ups the cost , is not as efficient, and causes problems sooner?
Go to a local gas stations that sell diesel! Like Exxon, Shell, BP, ect. Don't use Truck stop fuel! Also look at the pumps. There will be a sticker on most that's tells you that's it's BioBlend Fuel.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a drain pan I bought at Walmart or maybe Auto Zone holds at least my 10 quarts and still looks like more room..Google can be your friend...:)

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So making ALL the diesel in America more expensive for millions of trucks so that maybe 100,000 small Euro disels might run better is helping?

US diesels run fine on 40 cetane fuel, they're calibrated for it...and other than making cold starts a bit easier, boosting the cetane has no affect on their fuel mileage.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Turtle can rebut all he wants...and in HIS van...a Euro diesel boosting cetane likely has many positive benifits...including probably fuel mileage. Turtle will also come out with a lot of facts....his research skills are top notch.

Cetane is a value that reflects the ease at which diesel fuel ignites. If you design a diesel for 40 cetane...and have its timing set up for the ignition delay 40 cetane has...boosting it to 50 will not give you more energy out of the fuel. If your engine was designed primarily for a 50 cetane market...the extra delay a 40 cetane fuel has will likely affect combustion duration enough to cause some loss.

The conditioner I use in my Duramax engines for water control and fuel gelling control has a potent cetane booster in it. I do not use it every tank...and see very little difference in fuel mileage whether yes or no.

If 50 cetane fuel for a big DD15 or Cummins X15 was a guaranteed fuel mileage boost...and worth the price of the chemical....every orange truck from Wisconsin would have a tank and automated dispenser on board. They spent a lot of money on those wheel covers....for what they think is a 1/8 to 1/4 mpg gain....

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Because the American Soy Bean Growers Association and the National Corn Growers Association paid good money to have our representatives in Washington to pass legislation requiring corn and soybeans to be added to fossil fuel.

Are you some kind of subversive that you would question bio-fuels? Bend over and take it like a man. What's good for the American Farmer and the Corn Holers Association is good for you, even if it hurts.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So making ALL the diesel in America more expensive for millions of trucks so that maybe 100,000 small Euro disels might run better is helping?

US diesels run fine on 40 cetane fuel, they're calibrated for it...and other than making cold starts a bit easier, boosting the cetane has no affect on their fuel mileage.
it does on mine.....sorry....50 cetane is cleaner burning and less pollution...but then again this all depends what study/survey one trusts...Mercedes is a small diesel engine concern?
also I don't really see a cost increase for a better fuel...US competition might keep it minimal or not at all...of course its all IMO
well doh.....I just realized we get 45-50 cetane at Marathons/Speedway for 20-40 cents less then Pilot/Loves cheap azz 38-40 cetane so that mutes the extra cost element...

Last edited:
Reactions: ntimevan