Charlotte

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Apparently other journalists noticed the same thing. News reporters and editors buried an important fact about the officer's race.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Apparently other journalists noticed the same thing.
"I’ve talked to journalist friends who were unaware that the Charlotte officer is black. Not only that, many of them are black people. Some of my closest friends are black people."

News reporters and editors buried an important fact about the officer's race.
Yes, in stories that had little or nothing to do with the officer's race.

Look, all you did was go out and find someone's opinion that agrees with you, and tried to show that you know what you're talking about and are right about how to lay out a news piece. It might have been more convincing if you had found the opinion of an actual news reporter and not a media critic columnist who is known for massaging the truth as it is.

There's no question that there's a double standard in the media about race relations. But the article you used an an example is not one of them. Not every story about everything that happens in Charlotte that is related to this shooting should have the officer's race mentioned in the headline or the lead. Sheesh.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Charlotte Police Chief says, "I am not going to try this case in the media," while, you know, he's trying the case in the media.

Also says, "We do not shoot to kill." Because being trained to empty a gun center mass is not supposed to kill.

Best quote, though, is "Transparency is in the eye of the beholder."

No it's not. That's the Obama version of transparency. By definition transparency is being open, frank and candid, but this police chief is vague, unclear and opaque.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

It's strange nobody else has reported this, which means it's either a total lie, a matter of mistaken identity, or the media thinks this will make the "victim" look less like a "victim"

One thing I want to know, if this was actually him, why was he not still in prison, and how was he able to buy a gun, if the gun was bought legally by someone else, that person needs to go to prison.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's strange nobody else has reported this, which means it's either a total lie, a matter of mistaken identity, or the media thinks this will make the "victim" look less like a "victim"
I dunno . I've seen it reported several places. I first saw it on CNN 3 days ago. I think it's legit, since CNN had quotes from theTexas Department of Criminal Justice , and from Scott's family about it.

One thing I want to know, if this was actually him, why was he not still in prison,
He pleaded no contest and was sentenced in 2005 to more than 8 years, and was released early after 6 years in April of 2011 for good behavior.

I seriously doubt that what he did in Texas had any bearing on this shooting, though.

Prior to going to prison he had quite a history of problems with the police, mainly because he kept breaking the law. But after he got out of prison he changed his life a little bit, started working in security, with the police instead of shooting and punching them. Stayed clean and out of trouble.

A year ago he got into a bad motorcycle accident, broke both hips, his pelvis and several other bones, and had a severe brain injury that messed upon up pretty bad. Forgot things easily, stuttered, and got confused easily. He could barely walk but was able to with the use of a cane.

and how was he able to buy a gun, if
We still don't know for sure if he even had a gun with him or not . All the police will say is he had a gun, but they refuse to say what kind it was, who it was registered to, when it was obtained, or anything else about it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno . I've seen it reported several places. I first saw it on CNN 3 days ago. I think it's legit, since CNN had quotes from theTexas Department of Criminal Justice , and from Scott's family about it.

One thing I want to know, if this was actually him, why was he not still in prison,
He pleaded no contest and was sentenced in 2005 to more than 8 years, and was released early after 6 years in April of 2011 for good behavior.

I seriously doubt that what he did in Texas had any bearing on this shooting, though.

Prior to going to prison he had quite a history of problems with the police, mainly because he kept breaking the law. But after he got out of prison he changed his life a little bit, started working in security, with the police instead of shooting and punching them. Stayed clean and out of trouble.

A year ago he got into a bad motorcycle accident, broke both hips, his pelvis and several other bones, and had a severe brain injury that messed upon up pretty bad. Forgot things easily, stuttered, and got confused easily. He could barely walk but was able to with the use of a cane.

and how was he able to buy a gun, if
We still don't know for sure if he even had a gun with him or not . All the police will say is he had a gun, but they refuse to say what kind it was, who it was registered to, when it was obtained, or anything else about it.
FOX posted pics of the gun yesterday...even the holster....which I found kind of humourous......and thats HUMOR for those Americans that don't know.....LOL

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, in stories that had little or nothing to do with the officer's race.

There's no question that there's a double standard in the media about race relations. But the article you used an an example is not one of them. Not every story about everything that happens in Charlotte that is related to this shooting should have the officer's race mentioned in the headline or the lead. Sheesh.[/QUOTE]
If the officer was white, it would be. It would say so in the headline and at the beginning of the article. You see it at the beginning of broadcasts with their lead story: 'More unrest in city after white officer kills black suspect.' When the officer is black, the media changes the headline from white officer to police officer. This is supposed to be how police officers react to a black suspect not about how only white officers react to a black suspect because black officers react to black suspects in quite the same way.
Dishonest reporting using double standards such as this exacerbates race relations.
Kurtz is just for pointing out the double standard. Trying to kill the messenger is kind of silly when you know he's right, regardless that the article I originally posted wasn't a good example. Most reporters won't touch it though. Might lose their jobs and get slammed mercifully in social media.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just my two cents about this incident. The cops should have looked the other way. Just dealt with the warrant issue. They see some guy who happens to be black rolling a doobie with a gun. So what? Not worth getting put into a hornets nest and having to react after someone doesn't comply with a gun.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Kurtz is just for pointing out the double standard. Trying to kill the messenger is kind of silly when you know he's right,
Kurtz is hardly the gold standard in accuracy and objectivity. Just because he agrees with you doesn't make him right. Claiming that I know he's that right is not only spurious, but ridiculous considering he flip flopped at the end of his own piece.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
14333676_1483587101670125_4471377982663684084_n.jpg

#squirrellivesmatter | Facebook