Truck Speed Limiters Proposed by Feds

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Feds move to limit speeds of trucks, buses

The final point in this article is interesting. Maybe truckers should all come out in favor of speed limiters if they are mandated for cars too.

While the final point may be interesting, I did not see anywhere that cars are , in any way, a part of this. I would not be in favor of this IF it were for ALL vehicles. Speed limits around the country vary to widely to constrict one class of drivers to one maximum speed. Why 65 mph? Many east coast states are 55 mph, wouldn't these speed limited trucks still be allowed to speed?
The best part of the article to me was “No technology can replace the safest thing to put in a truck, which is a well-trained driver,” .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The number one cause of traffic accidents involving CMVs are either distracted driving, DUI, speeding, or sleep apnea, depending on the hobby horse du jour.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since many OTR carriers are already self limited...this appears more about some lobby group wanting to slow down independents that are wide open....to "level the playing field"

IMO no truck should be allowed over 65 MPH...the faster the speed, the more carnage of accident...no matter who is at fault...and they should also have manditory distance braking sensors whatever its called, so they can't crawl up everyones butt....no tailgating as most of them appear to do...

Reactions: TDave and ntimevan

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
OntarioVanMan Collision mitigation systems are not perfect, but I agree they can help and are a step in the right direction. But, speed limiters for trucks only, many U.S. companies already limit their trucks' speed. They are no safer than anyone else, in fact they seem to have more issues than those of us who can control our vehicles as we see fit. I still say it goes back to qualified, well trained drivers.

Reactions: ntimevan and Turtle

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
OntarioVanMan Collision mitigation systems are not perfect, but I agree they can help and are a step in the right direction. But, speed limiters for trucks only, many U.S. companies already limit their trucks' speed. They are no safer than anyone else, in fact they seem to have more issues than those of us who can control our vehicles as we see fit. I still say it goes back to qualified, well trained drivers.
I agree 100%..but until the time comes when we have a greater % of "qualified, well trained drivers" out on the roads which I don't foresee any time soon....

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The number one cause of traffic accidents involving CMVs are either distracted driving, DUI, speeding, or sleep apnea, depending on the hobby horse du jour.

At the rate they are trying to write new rules for truck drivers, soon we will have to blow in breathalyzers attached to our elogs before we can drive a governed truck, limited hours, with our cell phones in lock boxes after we remove our sleep masks from our previous 10 hr break.:mad::eek:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Ya know before we start adding more wires to the trucks, I think its time to start enforcing traffic laws we have in place now and go from there, for both 4 wheelers and big trucks. How many times have you come out of a construction zone and said to yourself, Sheet, I cant believe I made it thru there, all the time there was patrol cars at both ends of the construction site. How many times do you see trucks and cars tailgating, improper passing, improper lane changes, high rate of speed, distracted driving, etc etc. Enforce what we have in place now and I'm thinking traffic deaths will drop dramatically.
I'm also thinking I don't see that many rear end collisions into a big truck as much as I see a big truck that has plowed into another vehicle. Speed limiters won't stop rear end collisions but enforcing tailgating laws will certainly slow them down.

Reactions: SWTexas1

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ya know before we start adding more wires to the trucks, I think its time to start enforcing traffic laws we have in place now and go from there, for both 4 wheelers and big trucks. How many times have you come out of a construction zone and said to yourself, Sheet, I cant believe I made it thru there, all the time there was patrol cars at both ends of the construction site. How many times do you see trucks and cars tailgating, improper passing, improper lane changes, high rate of speed, distracted driving, etc etc. Enforce what we have in place now and I'm thinking traffic deaths will drop dramatically.
I'm also thinking I don't see that many rear end collisions into a big truck as much as I see a big truck that has plowed into another vehicle. Speed limiters won't stop rear end collisions but enforcing tailgating laws will certainly slow them down.
there is money to be made out there....for state, county and city revenue....just start hammering everything that moves incorrectly...

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately, the powers that be have failed in their duties, and they are not the ones lobbying. If the past and current laws already in place were enforced, there would be no need for all the changes. Federal, state county and local law enforcement is lacking, and they do not seem to realize that if they spend money for more well trained officers who will be accountable for their enforcement, that spent money will return to them possibly tenfold, if they actually enforce. But then there is always the people rejecting funds for needed enforcement, however lobbyists from the private sector(with private funds for lobbying to get the the same tax dollars voters would not give directly to law enforcement), can look like "heroes" to save us from ourselves.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
thru enforcement...people will pay attention when you hit their pocketbook again and again....relentlessly...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Most of this is job justification, and yes profit for select carriers who push this with DC lobbyists. Millions upon millions spent by a variety of states to study the effects of split speeds. Determined by every study at how unsafe those differentials are. Sooo, what do we do? Spend more money for more studies to convince us that split speeds are now good. Just amazing.:rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most of this is job justification, and yes profit for select carriers who push this with DC lobbyists. Millions upon millions spent by a variety of states to study the effects of split speeds. Determined by every study at how unsafe those differentials are. Sooo, what do we do? Spend more money for more studies to convince us that split speeds are now good. Just amazing.:rolleyes:
so many states with split speeds now....

Reactions: davekc

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The following was taken from the OP's link:

“This is basic physics,” NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind said in a statement. “Even small increases in speed have large effects on the force of impact. Setting the speed limit on heavy vehicles makes sense for safety and the environment.”

If this is basic physics, why was the national 55 mph limit rescinded? If this is basic physics, wouldn't a car doing 70 mph rear-ending a truck doing 60 mph result in a greater impact than a car going 70 mph rear-ending a truck going 68 mph? I'm confused!
clear.png

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well some OTR carriers have indeed speed limited their fleets...hence creating a split speed....without government intervention. I have never been an advocate of increased speed limits....I do not want to see an 80,000 lb truck hurling down the road doing 80 mph...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The following was taken from the OP's link:

“This is basic physics,” NHTSA Administrator Mark Rosekind said in a statement. “Even small increases in speed have large effects on the force of impact. Setting the speed limit on heavy vehicles makes sense for safety and the environment.”

If this is basic physics, why was the national 55 mph limit rescinded? If this is basic physics, wouldn't a car doing 70 mph rear-ending a truck doing 60 mph result in a greater impact than a car going 70 mph rear-ending a truck going 68 mph? I'm confused!
clear.png
You are overthinking it. :D

Reactions: Moot

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Yes
But couldn't it be that larger company's that have speed limiters are losing freight do to hours of service not being able to keep up with independent operators

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But couldn't it be that larger company's that have speed limiters are losing freight do to hours of service not being able to keep up with independent operators
Exactly! That's in line with what OVM posted. Large carriers also pushed for EOBRs.
Since many OTR carriers are already self limited...this appears more about some lobby group wanting to slow down independents that are wide open....to "level the playing field"