Welcome to August " the dog days of summer "

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Sorry to hear that, Ken. I hoped to see a Sprinter with 1 million miles on the original engine. Mine is out of the race at 775k, still going strong, but going once a month to the dump won't get it to a million.
Apparently the camshaft bearings really do have a lifespan of about 650,000 to 750,000 miles in properly maintained engines. Those who stray from the list and/or don't change the oil on time will be doing good to see 500,000 miles.

Mine went at 680,000, but I've also had probably 100,000 miles worth of idling over the life of that engine.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those who stray from the list and/or don't change the oil on time will be doing good to see 500,000 miles.

Speaking of 500k, my next oil change will be at 504k. Hoping the old girl still has more life left. I'm pretty anal about oil changes and any PM work. So hopefully she appreciates it

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: Ftransit and Turtle

guido4475

Not a Member
521k on my gasser. Runs strong. Having mixed feelings about putting an engine in it just yet. Kinda hesitant based on how this business is going. Even if I get out of this business, the serious thought of turning this into a camper has entered my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using EO Forums mobile app

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Still reading the threads and handling admin duties, and a few PMs behind the scenes. :)

I'm in Toledo having the engine in the Sprinter replaced.

Engine started making noises a few weeks ago and finally got to the point where it sounded more like an air compressor than a Sprinter engine, and it kept stalling at low RPMs. I pulled the oil filter and found copious amounts of little bitty metal shavings in the pleats. I know that really black oil is fine, but I'm pretty sure that metalflake iridescence really black oil is not. Wayne confirmed. Turned injectors off and on and when the #4 injector is turned off the noise gets much quieter, so it's the bearing under that cylinder.

Wayne has a really good 80,000 mile engine he's putting in there.

80k on the 5 cylinders is barely broke in. Nice!

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
Apparently the camshaft bearings really do have a lifespan of about 650,000 to 750,000 miles in properly maintained engines. Those who stray from the list and/or don't change the oil on time will be doing good to see 500,000 miles.

Mine went at 680,000, but I've also had probably 100,000 miles worth of idling over the life of that engine.

Wish these things had hours meters on them so we could see how much we idle. Or maybe we don't wanna see. Hell they should have gauges also, oil pressure, voltage, temp ect. I'm so needy

Reactions: RoadTime

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
My sprinter is a 2012 with 260k on it. Hey just thinking, all of you guys with 500k on your vans, now you have a place to go to get a new sprinter.

Reactions: scottm4211

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
How's the dpf/def been? Any issues?
For me not so much. I use the peak Def and was told by Dan at Sprinter of Fort Mitchell in KY to keep it top off with Def. I don't use the Def where the t/t fuel at.

My heater just went out and will have to be replaced before the first snap of cold weather comes. I've only had my Dpf filter regen once. So for me not bad. Also I use pure diesel. I don't run Bio blend.

Reactions: scottm4211

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hell they should have gauges also, oil pressure, voltage, temp ect. I'm so needy
An oil pressure gauge would be nice. I do use the ScanGaue II and it will give me a digital readout of the coolant temperature and the voltage. The dash gauge for the temp is analog.

One other symptom of failing bearings is the engine will run hotter than normal. One of the first comments Wayne made was "I bet it's running hotter than normal, isn't it?" Yep, sure has been. An engine running too hot can of course be a thermostat going bad, or a clogged radiator (which is what I thought mine was). But where mine would normally be running 188º F and and would peak out at 191º - 193º and then drop back down to the 188º, the last few weeks it would bounce between 195º - 215º. And when I ran through the mountains on I-77 I absolutely had to turn off the AC and it would still run between 230º and the redline 250º on a couple of those long hills. So yeah, it ran hotter, for sure.