Does FedEx still run the BR sprinters?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen the same ones for sale forever in the classifieds. They seemed like a great idea at the time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The new ThermoKing units now don't hang intrusively as much into the freight area as the old unit of yesteryear but at about $10K installed...I imagine like everyone elses the rate for this investment is just not there...its like why would I if you are not going to pay a decent rate of return...and those kind of loads would be spotty where you might not be in the area for some time...IMO of course...

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For sure you'd need a strong customer base for these things but many ST reefer guys I've talked to said they usually only carry 1 or 2 skids. Mainly pharmaceutical

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For sure you'd need a strong customer base for these things but many ST reefer guys I've talked to said they usually only carry 1 or 2 skids. Mainly pharmaceutical
thing is the non dock level issue and probably multiple endorsements to haul that stuff....and getting enough loads to make it profitable to do...the need for solid bulk head would do me in...

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I always wondered why there wouldn't be more than enough work to keep one busy between the multiple major medical/trauma centers in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio plus military in S.A.. I never could get FedEx to even talk to me about them though.

Reactions: scottm4211

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
A new one is like $80 to $90k. That's what was told to me. Im surprise Landstar doesn't have accounts for things like that.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'd guess there's plenty of work for them but they weren't utilized properly (easier to throw it on a ST)

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The original question remains to be answered. Is FedEx Custom Critical running BR-units any more?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The original question remains to be answered. Is FedEx Custom Critical running BR-units any more?
Phil, back when you were running there was there enough loads that would fit in these if utilized properly, or was not being dock high an impediment?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do not recall the specifics but sometime while Diane and I were on the road, the first FCC BR-units were introduced. Their not being dock high was not an issue when the motor carrier was promoting them and recruiting drivers to build and run them. It was not uncommon to see them, especially around truck stops in the northeast. What became of them, I do not know.