Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ud2600bbs

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Overfilling the reservoir, huh? Might want to do a combustion gas test. I swear that soot thing is not that unusual, but yours does seem excessive. I'd try to figure out the source of the oil into the turbo (crankcase, air compressor, or the turbo itself) and address it. Have the exhaust brake setting checked. A crankcase breather filter can be added, you need filter and the cap off of an 11-up Hino conventional. it sticks up about 2" higher, make sure there's clearance when lowering your cab.

On the Hinos, if it's doing a driving regen and you stop moving, you'll have a warning pop up saying that a regen is occuring. That just means not to park in tall grass, not that a manual regen is required. Start moving again and that warning should disappear. I don't know the specific behavior of the Hino-powered UDs, whether or not the exact things happen.
Any software updates will have to happen at UD.
Improved injectors with enhanced antiwear coatings inside them were not offered to UD. Hino injectors can be installed, but the cal codes cannot be entered. They seem to run just fine regardless. The unimproved injectors were pretty crappy. Do yo hear it nailing when it's cold/hot/undervarying loads? Does it ever roll coal?
Hey thanks Greasyshirt for your knowledge yeah the injectors make a loud noise in the morning once it warms up they are quiet i am gonna look into the crankcase breather and also the injectors
The coolant issue it had it since new we took it back to the dealer and they never fixed the issue its doesn't doit all the time so i try to keep yhe radiator clean and always checking the temp it has never overheated and for UD trucks its hard to find info or someone that works on them i also think the rear end gear ratio its to high the diff is a 5.5 with a 6speed trans the speedometer lies it says i am doing 70mph but inam doing 65mph and the rpms are really high almost redline what would be the best ratio to lower the rpm ?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey thanks Greasyshirt for your knowledge yeah the injectors make a loud noise in the morning once it warms up they are quiet i am gonna look into the crankcase breather and also the injectors
The coolant issue it had it since new we took it back to the dealer and they never fixed the issue its doesn't doit all the time so i try to keep yhe radiator clean and always checking the temp it has never overheated and for UD trucks its hard to find info or someone that works on them i also think the rear end gear ratio its to high the diff is a 5.5 with a 6speed trans the speedometer lies it says i am doing 70mph but inam doing 65mph and the rpms are really high almost redline what would be the best ratio to lower the rpm ?
Do you know what the current ratio is? These engines do not mind being run at high rpm, but the mileage would be better if slowed down a little.

ud2600bbs

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Do you know what the current ratio is? These engines do not mind being run at high rpm, but the mileage would be better if slowed down a little.
Sorry greasyshirt work is busy and haven't had time to work on the truck well by the door of the truck it has some info and differential ratio it says 5.57 i think well now i am putting the truck back together i have the new egr cooler installed and i also upgraded radiator had a shop build mea 4 row radiator and see how it works

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 28

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Sorry greasyshirt work is busy and haven't had time to work on the truck well by the door of the truck it has some info and differential ratio it says 5.57 i think well now i am putting the truck back together i have the new egr cooler installed and i also upgraded radiator had a shop build mea 4 row radiator and see how it works
Nice radiator! How much did that cost?

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Greasytshirt

I got a 2011 Hino 338 and for some reason sometimes it wont start right away, it will give me code 88. After awhile it starts, just want your input on this. Also i've been trying to locate where the transmission dip stick is at and i cant find it. Thanks

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner

As for the speedo we have 4 ud trucks they are all 5 off some under some over. As for the over flow filling, on the 05-07 it's the egr cooler on the 08 it was the water pump sucking air in and pushing it to the over flow them could not get a good seal to suck it back in to the rad.

towmater

Seasoned Expediter
Fleet Owner
My 05 ud started having a ruff Idol 2 weeks ago at first it was only when it was cold would bounce around about 50rpm but now it getting worse. When it's cold it will bounce about 150rpm and when it's warm about 50rpm and driving under light throttle can feel it surge (when cold)and heavy throttle seams a little gutless but there is no check engine light.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi Greasytshirt

I got a 2011 Hino 338 and for some reason sometimes it wont start right away, it will give me code 88. After awhile it starts, just want your input on this. Also i've been trying to locate where the transmission dip stick is at and i cant find it. Thanks
A P0088? how are you retrieving this code?

The trans dipstick is on the right side, kind of near the air filter.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
My 05 ud started having a ruff Idol 2 weeks ago at first it was only when it was cold would bounce around about 50rpm but now it getting worse. When it's cold it will bounce about 150rpm and when it's warm about 50rpm and driving under light throttle can feel it surge (when cold)and heavy throttle seams a little gutless but there is no check engine light.
I'd start with replacing the suction control valve (fuel pressure regulator), located on the front top of the injection pump. If the current one is an inch long, it's ancient. The replacement will be about 2.5 inches long. It will come with an adaptor plate.

If it's already 2.5 inches long, it's the more modern one. These go bad too, but not like the tiny ones.

Last edited:

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
A P0088? how are you retrieving this code?

The trans dipstick is on the right side, kind of near the air filter.

When i try to start truck, the dashboard lights up and instead of the engine starting it wont start but i'll give me code 88. It'll start after a couple of tries

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
When i try to start truck, the dashboard lights up and instead of the engine starting it wont start but i'll give me code 88. It'll start after a couple of tries
Does it crank without starting, or does it do nothing? If it cranks but doesn't start, it probably has a fuel supply issue, or possibly electrical problem. If it doesn't crank, 9 out of ten times it's a battery/cable/connection issue. The starters are pretty reliable.

ud2600bbs

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
As for the speedo we have 4 ud trucks they are all 5 off some under some over. As for the over flow filling, on the 05-07 it's the egr cooler on the 08 it was the water pump sucking air in and pushing it to the over flow them could not get a good seal to suck it back in to the rad.
Yeah that issue came with the truck since new the dealer said they changed the water pump when we took it back but it always happens don't know why i will
Probably try to put a new water pump if it continues.

Shawhawk

Seasoned Expediter
Does it crank without starting, or does it do nothing? If it cranks but doesn't start, it probably has a fuel supply issue, or possibly electrical problem. If it doesn't crank, 9 out of ten times it's a battery/cable/connection issue. The starters are pretty reliable.

No it doesnt crank up, i dont think its the battery since it always happens after i gassed up and usually drive for over an hour before i gas up. Is it possible that i turn the key to fast since hino trucks needs a few seconds to start up?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
No it doesnt crank up, i dont think its the battery since it always happens after i gassed up and usually drive for over an hour before i gas up. Is it possible that i turn the key to fast since hino trucks needs a few seconds to start up?

They don't crank very long before starting. Usually less than a second. If significantly longer time is needed, I'd be suspecting a fuel system issue.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok, this time I looked through the thread and searched a little and I don't think this question has been asked or answered before.

Looking at a Hino 258 that appears to be in great condition. Less than 5000 miles on it but has not been driven for at least 4 years, just sitting in storage. Condition is not an issue, but the non-use raises some concerns. In the past buying a used car that sat a long time or was driven very sparingly presented unique problems... seals dried out, rubber hoses and belts needed replacement and so on.

Can you think of any problem that might arise on a 2011 Hino 258 that would arise due to non use? Maybe a fuel issue or electrical concern?

ud2600bbs

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey do you know hownto fix the issue with the overflow maybe the newer Hino pump fits and was improved??

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey do you know hownto fix the issue with the overflow maybe the newer Hino pump fits and was improved??

Same water pump, afaik.

Ok, this time I looked through the thread and searched a little and I don't think this question has been asked or answered before.

Looking at a Hino 258 that appears to be in great condition. Less than 5000 miles on it but has not been driven for at least 4 years, just sitting in storage. Condition is not an issue, but the non-use raises some concerns. In the past buying a used car that sat a long time or was driven very sparingly presented unique problems... seals dried out, rubber hoses and belts needed replacement and so on.

Can you think of any problem that might arise on a 2011 Hino 258 that would arise due to non use? Maybe a fuel issue or electrical concern?
Get all of the old DEF out of the tank and lines...and injector. Flush everything with hot water. Drain the fuel, put a fuel filter on it. Two actually, there's the burner fuel filter too. Be sure to fill that one all the way up, the burner will want to light off as soon as there's air pressure.
These are the things I'd be most concerned with.

Status
Not open for further replies.