World's largest railroad yard

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I delivered there once. I remember it being a pain in the ass trying to get to the locomotive shop. I crossed the yard on the Buffalo Bill Expressway and ended up driving through a maze of manufactured houses trying to get back toward the rail yard.

The Kansas City yard off I-635 is also impressive and a pia to find the diesel shop.

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Delivering and picking up there is an adventure. As it is with any diesel yard and hump yard. Gotta have your head on a swivel. I've picked up there a couple of times and delivered there 4 or 5 times.

BNSF's Argentine Yard in Kansas City is the second largest, and is BNSF's biggest yard. The Argentine Yard in KC has 60 classification (sorting) tracks while the North Platte Bailey Yard has 114 classification tracks. So, yeah, there's big, and then there's big.

UP's Englewood Yard in Houston is really big, especially when you count in the adjacent intermodal Settegast Yard.

The Proviso Yard in Chicago is right up there, as is that massive yard in Barstow, whatever it's called.

And the CSX Rice Yard in Waycross, GA is easily in the Top 5, maybe at #3. It's one of my favorite places to pickup and deliver, although I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Delivering and picking up there is an adventure. As it is with any diesel yard and hump yard. Gotta have your head on a swivel. I've picked up there a couple of times and delivered there 4 or 5 times.
I don't recall crossing any tracks to get to the North Platte diesel shop, it's located right off the street. My problem was trying to get to that street from the bridge.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't recall crossing any tracks to get to the North Platte diesel shop, it's located right off the street. My problem was trying to get to that street from the bridge.
The CN maintenance yard north of Toronto is cool. GPS runs you right along and over tracks being used.

Reactions: Moot