The Libertarians.... spoilers

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't want Johnson to do well. Hope he starts polling lousy and drops out. Don't need no'spoiler' in this election and have Hillary end up winning the election with like 42 percent of the vote. Just my opinion. He is currently taking more votes away from Trump.

Reactions: Turtle

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
My thoughts........

1. The whole idea of voting for a 3rd party is a wasted vote needs to end.

2. I know of many Dems that can't stomach the idea of voting for Hillary.

Just saying.

Ummm? that vote for a third party might push her over the top. It is all about the end result. No need to complicate the simple. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Remember how Ralph Nader took several thousand votes away from Gore in Florida? There ya go.

Granted, the are other valid arguments to be made beyond such a simplistic conclusion, but as the video above excellently shows, a third party candidate can have a major effect on an election outcome, and more often than not it ends up being the worst outcome for those doing the actual third party voting.

Reactions: xiggi and TDave

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

"The debate over whether third party and independent candidates are spoilers depends on one’s beliefs about to whom a citizen’s vote belongs: those outside the political duopoly insist that a vote should be cast for the candidate whom the voter wants to see elected, whereas Republicans and Democrats presume that votes “belong” to them, and that votes for an alternative candidate amount to “wasted” votes.

With unfavorability ratings at an all-time high for Clinton and Trump, it is up to voters to decide which approach to voting they will adopt this November: will they vote their conscience for their preferred candidates, or will they reject them as the spoilers that the major parties advertise them to be?"

What a great quote!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My point is, if people would have supported and voted for a moderate 3rd party candidate years ago maybe we would have a viable 3rd party candidate to vote for this year. I've heard the wasted vote rubbish since I voted for John Anderson in 1980. At that time it wasn't considered a wasted vote though. It was much worse! A vote for John Anderson was a vote for the evil Ronald Reagan. The man that would certainly get us into a nuclear war with all his tough guy talk. Sound familiar?

You voted for the lead singer from Yes?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Whether third party candidates are spoilers is certainly debatable and depends on your point of view. Nevertheless, I reiterate, there is no debate on whether a third party candidate can have a major effect on an election outcome. History has shown that it can.

If you for-sure don't want Trump to win, and you just can't bring yourself to vote Hillary even though you'd normally vote for the democratic candidate, if you vote for a third party candidate you are subtracting one vote from Hillary while leaving Trump's vote tally unchanged, thereby making it more likely (by one vote) that Trump wins. Whether you call that a spoiler is up to you, but the result is that you have the one candidate which you absolutely, positively do not want to win getting a better chance to win.

If there is a candidate that you absolutely, positively do not want to win, the only strategic vote you can cast to help ensure that that candidate loses, is to cast your vote for any other candidate who has a chance of winning.

I've never voted for a political party. I've always voted my conscience. Members of both political parties can claim my vote as a spoiler, but they would both be wrong in counting on my vote in the first place.

Reactions: muttly

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do think in this election Johnson will draw more from Hillary than from Trump, although not by much. You can see that in the polls where, as the press says, "Clinton ahead by 8 points, 48 to 40, in the polls!" and then when they get 75 paragraphs down into the piece we see that those 8 points are really only in the head-to-head match-up, but when Johnson and Stein are included we see that Clinton has a 4 point lead and it's 42-38, where Johnson and Stein took 2 from Trump and 6 from Hillary.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've never voted for a political party. I've always voted my conscience. Members of both political parties can claim my vote as a spoiler, but they would both be wrong in counting on my vote in the first place.

Well said.

It is the vote my conscience that has led me to go 3rd party for the first time and dump Trump. I have voted republican all my life except for my very first election when I voted for Walter Mondale with family effluence. Quickly becoming a Reaganite afterwards and never would consider another party let alone a 3rd party until this year.

Over the years I have drifted from far right to the middle. I see the good and bad of both party's but still lean republican. I don't subscribe to the lessor of two evils. There both bad choices in my view. Sadly I do think one would be a better acting president (not performance wise) but show more respect for the office. And that would be (vomiting in my mouth) Hillary.

So my vote for Trump is gone already. If Hillary wins as a result of my 3rd party vote, I'm fine with that also. At least for once in this election battle my conscious is clear.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Like Moot, I voted for John Anderson in my first presidential election. I voted for Reagan in his second term, but other than that it's been mostly a third party candidate for me.

I'm quite liberal on some issues, quite conservative on others, so the whole notion of being a single issue voter seems silly and short sighted to me, because I'm going to disagree wildly on some issue or another with whomever I vote for.

In this election, I wholeheartedly prefer Trump over Hillary, because Hillary is corrupt scum. She lies habitually, and then lies about lying, and then bolsters that with either more lies or becomes defensive and flippant about it. Then she'll feign ignorance and chalk it up to an innocent mistake, which becomes totally laughable considering she's a lawyer who went to law school and everything. She's smart and calculating, knowing exactly what she's doing before she does it.

Trump on the other hand would give the office of the president a much needs kick irreverence and unpredictability. But I doubt that I'll vote for him.

How Republican vs Democrat are you?

It's a test to see where you fall in the political spectrum,assuming you answer the questions honestly. There is a slider to indicate how important an individual question is to you, so do that, and if there's an option to answer more questions, do that.

My score was
Libertarian 81%
Republican 71%
Constitution 59%
Green 35%
Democrat 20%

I'm a big fan of personal liberty and responsibility, of truth, justice and the American Way envisioned by The Founding Fathers.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a pretty interesting little self-quiz that more or less lets you know how you stand on the issues compared to the candidates (probably why the Website is isidewith.com <snort>), especially if you do all the "answer more" questions and move the slider as to the relative importance. It's a quiz that all voters should take before casting their vote. Might change a few votes.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like Moot, I voted for John Anderson in my first presidential election. I voted for Reagan in his second term,
My first presidential election I voted for the Peanut Farmer. I attribute that vote to youthful ignorance and a vote for Ford was a vote, like, for the continuation of, like the whole Nixon fascist pig trip, man.