Help!

Steven W. Lyles

New Recruit
Researching
Hey Expediters and future Expediters,

Well guys I'm totally new to this field. I know a guy who's had good success in this business but he's not the type of guy that likes to share information. He works as a dispatcher and owner operator of two Promaster 2500 159 high trucks. So guys I put the cart before the horse yesterday and went out and financed a 2014 promaster the same as my friend. So I'm already fully committed to making this venture work. I want to know what are the steps I need to take to become a dispatcher/driver/owner?

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Read on here all night.
Go beg the dealer to let you out of the deal.
If you give him $500-$1000 consider it money well spent.
This limits your losses.
Unless you need a place to live, the Promaster, or you need the tax write off.
Go drive a van for 6 months and then see if you want to buy one.
Or sell it to your buddy.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Steve, Welcome to the site.
We're not here to belittle you.
It's just that whenever someone posts like you did, there's usually a bad ending to the story.

To really analyze your situation we'll need to know about you.

Being from Michigan helps.

What is your work history ?
What income do you need to produce ?
What do you you plan to do with the Promaster ?
What are your expectations of this venture ?
How many days a month do you plan to be away from home ?
Have you priced insurance ?

There's nothing wrong with a Promaster.
The problem is financing a unit and thinking pennies will fall from heaven.

This is a tough business.
Even for those who know what they're doing.
Good Luck.
You'll get some good answers here.
Just maybe not the answers you want to hear.

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Future Headline

DISPATCHER RUN OVER LEAVING WORK

Eye witness says suspect vehicle was a funny looking van with dealer plates. It suffered a flat tire so an APB has been broadcast for a funny looking van going Wop Wop Wop.

Steven W. Lyles

New Recruit
Researching
Hey BigstickJr.!! Thank you for your responses. Don't worry the jokes don't bother me, I'm going to continue to push forward with my business venture like I always have. Yea I was shocked at the cost of insurance. I got a quote of $520 a month plus my $320 dollar a month note. Fortunately I have income from my real estate business. Well my buddy is a dispatcher so he has showed me a few jobs I can take. I'm currently in Atlanta GA. with my promaster and I can make a run from here to Waco, Texas tomorrow 836 miles and my pay would be $850 and he's searching for a job for me to bring back as well. He's willing to give me jobs because he's overwhelmed with work, thats why I'm so confused with the doom and gloom responses????? I want to know how do I become a dispatcher so Im not depended solely on my buddy. BigStickJr. THANKS AGAIN DUDE!

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Work with that buddy as long as you can.
You'll pick up things as you go.
Other income, small payment, a friend in the business.
You're positioned better than some that've doing it for years.
I think you'll be fine.

Steven W. Lyles

New Recruit
Researching
Hello Turtle,
I started out saying I'm totally new to this. So I'm more then willing to learn the difference between a dispatcher and a broker. Thank you for any information you're willing to share that you think would be helpful.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A dispatcher oversees trucks to cover loads obtained either from a direct customer (be it a shipper or receiver) or a broker. A broker finds carriers that can haul freight for customers.

Reactions: TeamHutch

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Everything that can be said to be helpful to you is available and probably answered 43,567 times in all the threads...it isn't for us to come here and give away all of our secrets and tips so we lose freight to you...put the time in and learn, read the forums, talk to people...but the onus is on you to have done this PRIOR to jumping in with both feet and a blindfold on....not meant to be rude.

Steven W. Lyles

New Recruit
Researching
Hey Akkshole,

I've been doing exactly that taking my time to read everything you guys/gals have to say. Sorry if you feel I'm taking food out of your families mouth by wanting to be a part of the expediter family. I'm from a different school of thought it's more then enough work for everyone if you work hard and research. So if I offended anybody by trying to learn from the experienced members of the community please forgive me........Didn't bother me a bite about your comments....lesson learned maybe I can be of assistance to one of you guys one day....If so please don't hesitate to ask. BigstickJr thanks again buddy for helping the new guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamPaul

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most people who do the research on this industry and put the horse before the cart will still fail within a year. Putting the cart before the horse and doing virtually no research accelerates that, generally speaking.

Steven W. Lyles

New Recruit
Researching
Yowpuggy thanks for your words of encouragement!! Hey Turtle nice hearing from you again. I got the truck because my buddy is really doing well at this already and told me he'd keep me running and he'd take a percentage of my runs. He has loads waiting for me already I'm waiting for quotes from the insurance companies. I couldn't run to Texas over the weekend because I didn't have the right type of insurance and I'm going to miss a load to Michigan tomorrow. I'm going to work with him for as long as possible but I'm trying to learn things on my own so I'm not solely dependent on him.

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My point was you want us to volunteer all our info here for you and list it out here, but the info is already here...take YOUR time to search and read to see them...that's what I meant...otherwise if you want individual training made easy for you, hire someone to do the research for you and put it all together. Basically I know you haven't read much, because if you had you would have driven for a fleet owner for 6 months before buying a promaster. I came here more than 2 yrs ago, read the advice, spent 14 months driving for a fleet owner, and have now owned my promaster for 10 months (after 2 mid America truck shows and 1 expo) and countless questions of other vehicle owners along the way, and then test driving all 3 promaster, sprinter and transit. I already had nearly 20 yrs over the road in a semi in various segments. Finally I read most every thread on this forum. I also have very minimal personal bills. I have no expectation of getting rich (in money) doing this job.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Basically what is throwing Red Flags up to EO members .... Steve ... is you have a Friend that does this line of Expedite work ...you said he owns 3 Promasters and does Dispatch work ..... ??? So Why do you need Our help ..?? If he is a Friend ...WHY isn't HE giving you help answering ??? This site can be very helpful ... But yet we can be Rough on the Uneducated ..Unresearched ... Unprepared ... Underfinanced ... new person.... so take a few steps backwards before you Leap forward into a Deep hole .....