Cargo Van check engine light/ Transit

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We have 130k miles on our Transit. The check engine light came on while on our last run. We immediately stopped at a auto parts store to have the code read, it was O2 sensor.But at our dealership they think it may be the ' Powertrain Control Module' has anyone had any experience with this.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
First thing I'd do is have the code read at a different auto parts store. If they showed the same O2 sensor, I'd buy it and install it. Then clear the code and give it a chance. You know that you can buy your own code reader at Harbor Freight for $40. And Walmart has a code reader for about $20. Just clear the code before doing anything and see if it comes back.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Often just clearing the code, it may never come back on. Sometimes it's just a strange set of circumstances that triggered it. Either way, it should allow you to continue your journey.

Reactions: Ftransit

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I have the same miles as you and as you may remember I had to replace the chassis control module for $1,000 I also have a question for any van people or Transit people. When I am driving at interstate speeds Ste 6270 I notice when I accelerate that there is a noise that sounds like running over rumble strips but I don't feel the vibration. It seems to be coming from right underneath me so I suspect either transmission or? Anybody have similar experience or thoughts on the subject

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
So service department called and said it did turn out to be O2 sensor, they ordered one & installed it. I went and picked up van drove around the building noticed light was on, they reset and I took it home, as soon as I put it in park ck. eng. light was back on :mad:

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
As you know we have to flush transmission about every 45k for the rumble we hear. Was your check engine light on when you replaced the CCM?

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the same miles as you and as you may remember I had to replace the chassis control module for $1,000 I also have a question for any van people or Transit people. When I am driving at interstate speeds Ste 6270 I notice when I accelerate that there is a noise that sounds like running over rumble strips but I don't feel the vibration. It seems to be coming from right underneath me so I suspect either transmission or? Anybody have similar experience or thoughts on the subject

I'm getting that rumble also. Mine only does it at about 50-55 with really light throttle and mostly after running through a mountainous area for a lot of miles. Head tech at my dealer said its the torque converter. He's been seeing it often on Transits. Recommended doing a transmission flush and refill with fresh fluid.

But I am getting noise out of my rear differential when turning sharp. They said its the locking differential clutch packs. Their going to replace the differential internals under my extended warranty next time I'm home. They also noticed a little seepage by the oil pan. Again, their going to fix that under my extended warranty also.

Haven't had any check engine lights yet, but I'm just barely over 100,000 miles right now.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Instead of a transmission flush, has anyone with a Transit opted for having a complete fluid and filter change by dropping the pan?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I was shown how the frame obstructed the pan and it would be several extra hours to disassemble to drop the pan. Not to mention the extra$$$

Reactions: Moot

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I had the flush done at dealer at 120K, now at 135K. BUT, once they have your truck in the shop who knows what they really do?

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
And, speaking of tires, I got about 80K out of the factory Hankook. Replaced them with Continental and will only get 60K. Not a lot of options in out size. LT235/65R16

Ftransit

Veteran Expediter
Driver
And, speaking of tires, I got about 80K out of the factory Hankook. Replaced them with Continental and will only get 60K. Not a lot of options in out size. LT235/65R16
Look on tirerack.com we just saw Firestone has a replacement that meets all specs. & at a better price...we replaced with Hancooks at 100k

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately it seems to have some of the same annoying quirks as other Euro vans.
And as i said Before ... these vans (all 3 ) are Not made for our line of work .... long miles .. heavy loads ... miles of mountains .... but We addapt them into expediting .... they are made for light package hauling ...plumbers .. carpet installers ... light construction work ... not long haul mini- semi's .... in my op....

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Having spent 15 years, as a Worn Out Manager, in the Commercial tire industry, IMHO no good will come from changing tire diameter, especially over an inch! It's not just the speedometer issue, but, these vehicles are "over engineered" and a major size change will affect everything in the drive train including ABS. While the engineers did not choose tire size to benefit our pocketbook, they did choose them to match their computers!

I will look into the Firestone next.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Having spent 15 years, as a Worn Out Manager, in the Commercial tire industry, IMHO no good will come from changing tire diameter, especially over an inch! It's not just the speedometer issue, but, these vehicles are "over engineered" and a major size change will affect everything in the drive train including ABS. While the engineers did not choose tire size to benefit our pocketbook, they did choose them to match their computers!

I will look into the Firestone next.
more then 1" difference the Sprinters lights and bells go off...the computer will quickly tell you...been there done that...LOL