Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi. I have a 2007 268. I am having problems with the ac. Can the filter in the receiver dryer be replaced or do you have to buy a complete condenser? Also, do you know the part number for the ac switch in the dash heater controls? Thanks.
You can replace the desiccant bag. Take off front bumper. Remove 14mm plug from side tank. Pull old one out. Don't open the bag until you are ready to install.

Idk the part number, but I swear its the same switch as late 90s toyota pickups. The harness connector is probably fried. You will have to address this with a harness repair. Replace the blower motor even if it still works because it is the root cause.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey there greasytshirt. I have a 2008 Hino 338 that is overheating. This occurs whenever the DPR system kicks in, when traveling uphill and when going over 65mph. I have no problems with the temp when idling or traveling at slower speeds. I cleaned out the radiator and no change. I suspect this might be the clutch. Is there any way to check, or what can I do, to see if my fan clutch is working properly? Thanks

If it overheats during a parked regeneration, have the exhaust brake setting checked. The fuel quantity injected increases over time, which means the brake has to be backed off periodically. Dealer software required to do this, there is no mechanical measurement, as injection quantity is the only thing being measured.

Cleaning the radiator fins thoroughly means removing the intercooler. Trust me. And no power washers allowed.

If you never hear the fan clutch come on, replace it.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Switch s8748-01270.

Harness connector body 8s8256-04480.

S040999200 is a repair pigtail. Generally you need two.

Idk motor p/n.

Do all of this or you will do it all again soon.

Diesel dan

New Recruit
Mechanic
Hi greasytshirt. I am new to the hinos but not to medium/heavy duty trucks. I am working on a 2010 hino 268. I have pf diagnostic with a dpa5 adapter and it has issues connecting to the trucks ecm. The only one i can access is the j1708 abs module nothing else. I am at a loss as i need to pull codes and force a regen as the bars are completely full, but the indicator light on the dash is not lit up and the regen push button does not work. I was able to pull the code with a handheld obdII scanner its a p2002. Please let me know if you can give me any suggestions. Thankyou!

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hi greasytshirt. I am new to the hinos but not to medium/heavy duty trucks. I am working on a 2010 hino 268. I have pf diagnostic with a dpa5 adapter and it has issues connecting to the trucks ecm. The only one i can access is the j1708 abs module nothing else. I am at a loss as i need to pull codes and force a regen as the bars are completely full, but the indicator light on the dash is not lit up and the regen push button does not work. I was able to pull the code with a handheld obdII scanner its a p2002. Please let me know if you can give me any suggestions. Thankyou!

When the dpr graph hits 10, a manual regeneration is no longer possible without changing or resetting values in the ecu. It may not be safe to regeneration either, it depends on total soot accumulation.

Hinos do not use the standard communication protocol as do other trucks. I don't know if pf diagnose will be successful.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
P2002 is a failure to regen. There are many causes. Without Hino DX it will be difficult to diagnose.

See if the intake throttle valve has been modified. I described how to do this in this thread. The injectors have to be evaluated. The turbo can be the culprit too.

Did the graph jump several bars for no reason? Was there a loss of power during a driving regen? Is there soot in the tailpipe?

Diesel dan

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. I am a mobile diesel mech and just got this job. It was already at the 10 bars and the light dosent even come on for the dpf saying its time for regen. The truck has 270k on it. Came from new york has alot of rust/corrosion. There is a fair amount of black soot in the tail pipe, not clean like my 15 duramax. I have not checked the intake throttle valve yet. The truck fires up grwat, but does idle a bit rough. TheThe only code was the p2002. Pf claims they can force regens on the hinos, im waiting back on a response from their support. The only thing i had on pf was the abs module, engine hours, coolant temp and trans temp. All connectors looked good and plugged in on the dpf, checked all fuses etc.Are you thinking it could be clogged beyond regen capabilites? Going through the little dic screen it said dpr 60k miles. I cant afford the explorer software at 1800 a year.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
The dpf is already damaged and it needs a set of injectors.

Idk what to tell you about the software. Theoretically Texa can do it, but it's $6000. I have Texa but I haven't connected it to a Hino because I have DX.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
If you take the dpr out of the truck, I bet you'll see the face of the doc melted, or the back of the dpf blown out.
Call a dealer with the VIN. With any luck, there's an open recall that will replace the dpr. Injectors still have to be addressed immediately.

Diesel dan

New Recruit
Mechanic
Thanks for the info! So you think i will be safe letting my customer know that it needs a new dpf and injectors? What are you basing the injectors being bad off of? I will call the dealer, i saw an earlier post you wrote about the recalls for the 2008-10. What are average prices for the dpf and injectors?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks for the info! So you think i will be safe letting my customer know that it needs a new dpf and injectors? What are you basing the injectors being bad off of? I will call the dealer, i saw an earlier post you wrote about the recalls for the 2008-10. What are average prices for the dpf and injectors?

Rough idle is one of many symptoms of bad injectors. Generally they're really crappy by the time the idle gets rough. And it's one of the main causes of dpf failure.

The injectors are 5-600 each. The dpr is something like $2500. You still have to connect with functional software to clear the graph.

Diesel dan

New Recruit
Mechanic
I would love to be able to watch balance rates, flow rates of the injectors. Its alot of money to throw at it without diagnostic confirmation. I believe eveyythibg your saying and it all makes sense. The injectors dump to much fuel causing the dpf to overload along with regens being skipped, to much back pressure and pops the dpf. Do you have a link or are able to help me out with part numbers, repair tech manuals etc?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I would love to be able to watch balance rates, flow rates of the injectors. Its alot of money to throw at it without diagnostic confirmation. I believe eveyythibg your saying and it all makes sense. The injectors dump to much fuel causing the dpf to overload along with regens being skipped, to much back pressure and pops the dpf. Do you have a link or are able to help me out with part numbers, repair tech manuals etc?
I sent you a pm.

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got a question on wheels and tires. Really, a low profile 258 would be the best choice, but we're seeing some great deals on 268's in the c/a that we're looking for. Since we do a lot of curbside work, the lower the better. If a 268 was fitted with 19.5" rims and tires, would it be possible to reprogram the computer to account for that? I know on some Fords you can go into the ECM and make the adjustment. Do Hino's have that capability?

Thanks for your great work in this forum!

natsys

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
Duh. Just found page 14 in this thread. Should've looked more carefully before posting.

Nice work from all contributors on the subject. Several things I didn't think of. Better to keep looking for a 258 lp than mess around with changing tires--it's just not that simple.

Sorry for the brain fart.

carl484771

New Recruit
Driver
The clutch is slipping. It has to be adjusted periodically. It's adjusted at the pressure plate, do not mess with the external linkage.

Is there any play in the clutch pedal? The pedal should move easily for two inches before any resistance is felt.
works thank you

carl484771

New Recruit
Driver
The clutch is slipping. It has to be adjusted periodically. It's adjusted at the pressure plate, do not mess with the external linkage.

Is there any play in the clutch pedal? The pedal should move easily for two inches before any resistance is felt.
works thank you

Linwood1962

New Recruit
Mechanic
i am trying to pull codes off a 07 hino box truck with a 469 block. can i do this manually or do i need to bring this truck to a dealership?

Status
Not open for further replies.