Does Anyone Use a CB Radio Anymore?

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
You got me there... I honestly know zero about tuning etc. I believe there is a tuner at exit 22 on I65 in Tennessee, which is where my wife picked the radio for me. Worth a look see I think.

guido4475

Not a Member
It's like 10 or 20 bucks to have your SWR's checked and set at any good C.B. shop. Never have this done during a damp or rainy day, but as dry as possible of a day as possible, as the ground dampness greatly affects the SWR readings. If a C.B. shop says it makes no difference, it would be in you're best interest to leave that place and never come back. The guy at the Petro in Harrisburg is pretty good and honest.

Reactions: TeamPaul

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
I have one need new window mounted antennal , replaced front window, as got hit by nice size stone from some where . can't use mag antennal on top of my sprinter as can't back in building as 10' opening
and radio snack is gone out business. anybody know where to get a window mount one

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have one need new window mounted antennal , replaced front window, as got hit by nice size stone from some where . can't use mag antennal on top of my sprinter as can't back in building as 10' opening
and radio snack is gone out business. anybody know where to get a window mount one
I'm sure any place that sells CB radios, also sells antennas.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
it was 1999, and there was a lot of trash talk. It seemed that there were many ugly people with access to a once great tool...
I gave up on my CB Radio for the same reason and about the same time as you did... too much noise for nothing...

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
The last time my radio was on, I was trying to impress my son by talking all trucker-like, and the first reply back to me was to F/O!! The look on my boys face was shock. Of course since then he has heard me say worse, but I knew by the look on his face, that we were not in a good CB era anymore. A shame too, as the drivers out there always had good stories, albeit BS, that really helped pass the time on the long roads.

edited for use of abbreviated vulgar terminology

Last edited:

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes I have and always have a cb radio in my vehicle(s) as it (11 meter) band, has been a hobby of mine for some 25+yrs in ways of international calling. I have been a member to the Alpha Tango DX group for many a years, one of the most prestige call groups round the world. Its a dying hobby now but it is in fact still active to this day. Most folks tried growing up to the hambone level but even that in itself is dying off as well except for the hard core weather chaser guys. I have a Galaxy DX 959 w/ an astatic red devil power microphone, but only cuz I got it on a steal, I normally run the RCI series radios IE - RCI 2950, RCI 2970, RCI 2990 & 2995

Tim Xpedites

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh & as turtle stated earlier, apps are taking over the CB type guys IE - Zello app. I use frequently w/ many truckers/expediters alike. Download it, its perty awesome!

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I still have my Astatic mic that I bought back in the 90's. Not sure how well it works now, but will definitely get it out and play with it a little.

I know that many still "play" with their radios, as it was one of those kewl hobbies that trucking really helped in building. A hobby for people who really wanted to reach out there (way out there) and touch someone so to speak. I also like that CB's are not dependent upon satellites for broadcast communication, and therefore will not go completely obsolete...

Reactions: Tim Xpedites

Spedz13

Rookie Expediter
Driver
My dad was a trucker my grand dad was a trucker and so on.......I was once told your not a real driver if you dont have one....I solely believe that (just my opinion and opinions very) grant it its not like it use to be but I keep one in every truck I drive with a little foot warmer(insert disclaimer here foot warmer is for my ham radio HI HI) on channel 19 at all times...along with my ham radio and police scanner (yes I can have a police scanner in a truck if for no other reason that I am a Ham Radio Operator) (dont test me on this u will loose I have the proof LOL :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: blackpup and Turtle