I Come From Alabama

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
My wife and I visited the Expedite Expo this past weekend. We only managed to make Friday, but I believe we soaked up enough of the atmosphere that we now have a path forward. The path is not real clear, but it is there. My daughter just started her senior year in college, and my wife and I have plans to be on the road that following summer... until then, I plan to learn all I can, and this forum is our starting point... just glad to be here.

Reactions: RoadTime and xiggi

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Thanks for the welcome... my username is in reference to the Chinese new year in which I was born. 1964 was the year of the Dragon!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Thanks for the welcome... my username is in reference to the Chinese new year in which I was born. 1964 was the year of the Dragon!
Surprised that someone from Alabama would know that. :JC_rimshot:

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
I guess I could give a bit more background; I cut my teeth in the LTL world, which the Panther rep at the Expo said is 180 degrees turn from the Expedite world. I lasted from 1995 to about 2000 when Old Dominion bought out the small company I worked for, and set us on the road looking for other jobs...it happens. I went back to school, and I have been a desk jockey for 15-years now (mechanical/electrical designer). In 2008 I was asked to drive for my sons high school band. They have a 48ft furniture van that is used for games and competitions. This is my ninth year driving for the school, as my daughter also took well to the high school band atmosphere. So driving is and always has been in my blood. My wife, also a trucker at heart, used an inheritance from her father to get her own CDL. With my daughter entering her senior year of high school, my wife and I are feeling the winds of change... and that leads us to this forum, one of many gateways we hope to use to help us along with our journey.

We could tell at the Expo, that as a smaller part of the trucking industry, everyone seemed to be like one huge frigg'n family. Even here on the forum, I can see that everyone seems to be tightly knit... that is awesome!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In your first post it's college and later it's high school. I'm guessing high school is probably correct. Either way works though. I'm guessing when you went back to school for mechanical/electrical design it was an in-depth program that took quite a bit of time to complete. Don't consider expediting any less of a career or needing any less education. While you won't find a two year degree program at the local CC you will find an expediting degree program in the General, Newbies and Recruiter sections of this forum. Read back a minimum of 3 years in all three of them. That doesn't mean every single word but it does mean read the thread title of every single thread for at least 3 years. If the title sounds remotely educational, interesting and/or applicable to your situation then read every single word of every post in that thread. Once you've carefully read and studied those 3 years worth you'll know what questions still need to be asked and have a good idea of who/where to find the answers. Good luck.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
You are correct, she is starting her Senior year in high school... Thanks for the advice, I was getting over-whelmed at first, but the more I just focus on certain aspects that I want to know more about, the less confusing this is becoming. Right now my wife and I have been spending a couple hours in the evening (ever since the Expo ended) watching all of the videos from "The Crafty Trucker" YouTube channel. Although this is more like studying by looking at a (moving) picture book, their videos are really helping us get a feel for the industry. Every video provides us a topic that we want to research more... even if it just what brand of porta-potty is good to bring along... who knew how important that could be!?!?

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just please, don't do this in a van. We're fighting over table scraps as it is. If I were allowed to do so, I'd be in a straight truck.

Reactions: TeamPaul

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Not to worry, both my wife and I have our Class A. We would like to start in a straight truck, and may or may not transfer to a tractor trailer... But based on our current research, looks as though a straight truck is the best plan of action for us in the industry.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Check out "The Crafty Trucker" channel on YouTube: TheCraftyTrucker

Tons of great info from an expediter team. They post here too.

Roll Tide!

We love "The Crafty Trucker" channel, I found them just this past weekend. My wife and I have devoted two to three hours a night watching their videos and taking notes... last night the port-a-potty video was well noted by my wife, especially model numbers and sales locations!

Seriously though, we were bummed to have left the Expo on Friday, and this channel has kept the road ahead alive for us.

"What About Them Cowboys?"

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
....even if it just what brand of porta-potty is good to bring along... who knew how important that could be!?!?
9d05ea0ab101b595760324601c686d4a.jpg

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
Too funny, as I just saw something similar to this image on way to work today, only it was a guy in an easy chair...