Just some sprinter observations

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So where can I learn more about this "fix" including where to get it, and child-level instructions on how to use it?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well, it's not legal for road use so I wanted to keep it off this site. There are heavy fines for making unauthorized modifications to your emissions system.

Just don't go searching for an egr bypass mod on mercedes club dot org dot UK, and do something silly like taking the guts out of the black cap on the egr valve so it's completely undetectable...

Also, don't attempt to solder with a MAPP torch, in about 3 seconds you have a pile of black dust and wires...i was smart enough to buy 2 of everything

Last edited:
Reactions: greasytshirt

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Well, it's not legal for road use so I wanted to keep it off this site. There are heavy fines for making unauthorized modifications to your emissions system.

Theoretically, but down here many states don't have the mechanisms in place to enforce such a rule.

In other words, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: brokcanadian

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
There are a lot of different mods that I have no intention of doing that's I've read up on anyway, for lots of reasons. The more I can learn about different things, how they work together, what works and doesn't, and why, the better I can make related and sometimes unrelated decisions. This mod in particular isn't illegal, unless you drive it on the public roads. But knowing how it's done, how it works and why, may help in a testing or diagnosis.

The chances of me actually implementing this mod are virtually zero. If my EGR valve goes bad I'll just replace it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok Turtle...heres another hypothetical...as you know, the SKREEM module on sprinters will cause a "Start Error" when something goes wrong...leaving you with a dead Sprinter that needs modules shipped out at great expense, or a dealer repair at even greater expense. It's on my terror list of things to go wrong when hundreds (or thousands) of miles from home.

From the helpful Chinese manufacturers I bring you "IMMO DELETE"

Screenshot_20160531-160750.png Screenshot_20160531-160756.png Screenshot_20160531-160801.png Screenshot_20160531-160355.png

Through a combination of soldering (30 dollar model) and or programming (plug in skreem replacement slightly more) you too can eliminate your SKREEM and start with a screwdriver or tire iron.

Seriously though, how common is this? I've experienced the Start Error already, but a helper had pulled the module fuse, easy fix when he remembered. Should I carry the 30 dollar board and a soldering iron as cheap insurance, or even preemptively eliminate?

Edit: maybe more cost effective to get one of those things you see on YouTube that works on any vehicle - and you can amaze and impress your friends as you start their brand new Mercedes without a key :D

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But knowing how it's done, how it works and why, may help in a testing or diagnosis.
It did confirm a dead positioner/motor. When I unclipped the top section from the EGR I was able to confirm it wasn't siezed...although it may be the motor, I didn't apply voltage to the lower section to test yet

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I experienced the Start Error the first time when I was at home at the end of March. A different key worked fine. Back to the other key and, Start Error again. I replaced the batteries in the problem key and it works. Then replaced the batteries in the other key fob, as well as the third one I leave at the house. All 6 batteries were originals.

I'm all for eliminating the SKREEM, tho, even though I haven't really had a problem with it. It's not a common failure, but it's an expensive one.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couldn't find my ECM. This is why
IMG_20160601_1531539.jpg IMG_20160601_1551516.jpg
First pic is all the aftermarket wiring I took out, from dead cb wiring to stereo/dvd/gps/dead backup camera, even a bunch of cat 5 cable!

Last pic is why it's still apart...was a red wire hanging down under steering column, had .16 volt signal key on...happens to be same voltage as my recent egr experience...so I just had to see where it went...couple hours and a steering column and fuse box later, I assume it was dimmer for DVD lights spliced into the factory wiring...

All clear for my stereo install now, and I understand what's plugged into what and why

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Can anybody chime in here and tell me, does your signal assembly and key move slightly when the column is locked or does it not move? Was a secondary reason for taking it this far apart, they insisted on doing the u joint for safety....fusebox ignition key and signal / cruise all move slightly when wheel turned, but column doesnt...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My Multi-Function Switch (MFS) does not move. It's not supposed to move. There are screws that hold the MFS in place. If they are missing it'll sure move.

Here's a good writeup on replacing it. It may give you some clues, I dunno.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks Turtle. Mine moves only when steering is locked. So does everything including the fusebox, have to break out my special tools to get at the upper locknut under the dash...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Duty called so I just buttoned everything up, the sound quality between 2005 and 2015 tech was pretty shocking even thru the factory speakers

Bought 0w40 European car formula for 22 at PA walmart, went to top up but no usage for 6000 miles...half my oil change bought I guess

Put in my traditional Arctic Freeze (even without vacuum fixed every other van) until I heard and saw it come out the condenser... guess my luck ran out after 2 mil miles of instant fixes