Cincinnati gorilla shooting

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When I first saw the video on YouTube yesterday I thought it had to be fake. A 4 year old in with a 400 pound gorilla at a zoo in the USA come on now, and how old is this video?

Today I saw it on CNN. Very sad to see this was true. Fortunately the child is fine. Sad that a 17 year old gorilla had to be killed, for trying to protect the child from those crazy screaming humans.

New video shows Harambe HOLDING HANDS with the four-year-old boy

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Anyone who has ever watched a child knows full well that a kid can disappear literally in the blink of an eye. Most of the 500,000 idiots on the change.org petition should be given for their efforts an all expense paid 24 hour visit inside the gorilla, jaguar, lion, or hyena enclosure of their choice.

And each one of them should be accompanied by Laura Collins.

Well, the first one or two, anyway.

Yes, the gorilla held the boy's hand. Isn't that adorable. The gorilla also held the boy's foot just as adorably as it dragged it like a branch of bananas across the enclosure.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

There must be a new definition for the word hero :confused2:
I have a few new ones myself :rolleyes:

“Zoos aren’t your babysitter,” Corwin told Fox 25 News. “Take a break from the cellphone and the selfie stick and the texting. Connect with your children. Be responsible for your children. I don’t think this happened in seconds or minutes. I think this took time, for this kid, for this little boy to find himself in this situation. And ultimately, it’s the gorilla that has paid that price.”

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno. Being a mom is pretty heroic in itself. Having a kid inevitably disappear on you after having looked away for like 2 seconds, and not losing your mind and making things worse... not altogether un-heroic.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Zoos aren’t your babysitter,” Corwin told Fox 25 News. “Take a break from the cellphone and the selfie
The same Jeff Corwin who had an elephant wrap its trunk around him and swing him around and then toss him like a rag doll, hurting him so badly that he nearly blacked out from the pain, and his arm still doesn't work right after 9 or 10 years, all because he got too close to the elephant and was doing something he shouldn't have been doing? That Jeff Corwin?

I don't think there's a single person in America, maybe the entire planet, who thinks the zoo is a babysitter. Corwin's been an idiot at least ever since he tried sticking his arm in an elephant's mouth and thinking something good would come of it.

Yes, it's true, the mother never should have blinked and allowed her child to get through the railing. Yes, it's true, they never should have killed that gorilla, they should have instead tried to reason with it... as it plucked limbs from the kid like it was onion blossom at the Outback.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, it's true, the mother never should have blinked and allowed her child to get through the railing. Yes, it's true, they never should have killed that gorilla, they should have instead tried to reason with it... as it plucked limbs from the kid like it was onion blossom at the Outback.

It took a lot longer then a blink to pull off what hasn't been done in the pens 38 years. The zoo officials themselves said the gorilla was not being aggressive towards the boy. But that is beyond the point, the zoo had no choice in the matter. But the mother is hardly blameless.

I guess gorilla's must always dress and protect their midnight snack :rolleyes:

Kimberley Ann Perkins O'Connor, who captured some of the incident on her phone, told CNN she overheard the boy joking to his mother about going into the water.
Suddenly, a splash drew the crowd's attention to the boy in the water. The crowd started screaming, drawing Harambe's attention to the boy, O'Connor said.
At first, it looked like Harambe was trying to help the boy, O'Connor said. He stood him up and pulled up his pants.
As the crowd's clamors grew, Harambe tossed the boy into a corner of the moat, O'Connor said, which is when she started filming. Harambe went over to the corner and shielded the boy with his body as the boy's mother yelled "Mommy's right here."
The crowd's cries appeared to agitate Harambe anew, O'Connor said, and the video shows him grabbing the boy by the foot. He dragged him through the water and out of the moat atop the habitat, O'Connor said.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Jack Hanna is supportive of the zoo's action. Good enough for me.

I fully support what the zoo did, there was no other option, don't get me wrong. My issue is why it happened. Facebooking, texting, whatever was so important that the mother was unaware of where her child was. Having been to the zoo with my own daughter at that age, being unaware where she is was never an option. Oh wow, superparent. No just being protective, something apparently even a gorilla can be.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ah, yes, Kimberley Ann Perkins O'Connor, the famous Lowland Gorilla expert. She knows that the gorilla didn't just grab the kid and happen to grab him by the pants, which not only pulled up the pants but also the kid. And she knows that the gorilla purposefully "shielded the boy with his body" to protect the child from the clamoring of the crowd, because that's what gorillas do.

There was an incident at another zoo a couple of weeks ago and the response team and zoo officials at the Cincinnati Zoo had a meeting to discuss it and to go over various scenarios at the zoo. One of the scenarios was exactly what happened and with that very gorilla. They had decided then that the gorilla would likely have to be put down. It's not like they don't know the gorilla very well, probably better than the half a million morons at change.org and almost certainly better than Kimberley Ann Perkins O'Connor, the famous Lowland Gorilla expert.

No one (other than the esteemed Mr; Elephant Chewtoy) claims she was Facebooking, texting, selfie-sticking or anything else. She wasn't unaware or negligent, she was human who made a mistake. It's good to know that you were the perfect parent and never made any mistakes and your kid never got a boo-boo or a broken bone or managed to get into some place where she wasn't supposed to be while growing up, but most other parents aren't quite as vigilant or lucky. They're just people, every one of the trying to raise kids without a manual.

There are people who are saying they should have let the gorilla kill the kid, as it would have taught the mother a lesson. That's ree-tarr-ded. What happened was a tragedy all around. But it was a mistake the mother will live with for the rest of her life. It saddens me greatly that the gorilla had to be put down. I love animals. I like animals better than about 90% of the people I've ever met. But no matter how aware you think you are, kids can chase a ball right in front of a car, crawl into a swimming pool, get into all kinds of dangerous situations, right in front of your eyes.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
say-what-lego-statue.jpg

This well-dressed fox, made of Lego bricks and valued at $15,000, was destroyed moments after a 4-year old child breached the barricade and entered the enclosure. How many more expensive, rare and innocent animals have to die simply because mothers aren't keeping their children close? SMH

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Chester's go-rilla
She go oink
Chester's go-rilla
She go quack
Chester's go-rilla
She go moo

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
70 or so people shot and killed in Chicago over the holiday, not a word. Gorilla gets shot and some people act like the world is coming to a end. On the positive side, the Gorilla got "bathrooms" off the front page. :eek: