Sprinter - harmonic balancer failure

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone with this experience please what happened and the resolution...im trying to gather info off the net, I've got an increasing engine vibration...was dead smooth when I started it up to buy, but it's getting worse I also plan on putting a 200 amp alternator on at some point....this is for 2006 and older...thanks

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Anyone with this experience please what happened and the resolution...im trying to gather info off the net, I've got an increasing engine vibration...was dead smooth when I started it up to buy, but it's getting worse I also plan on putting a 200 amp alternator on at some point....this is for 2006 and older...thanks
PM Turtle.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Get under the front of the van and wiggle the harmonic balancer. If the harmonic balancer moves at all, it needs to be replaced. Oh, yeah, uhm, make sure to turn off the engine before you do this.

Also, check the motor mounts. Weak or broken motor mounts can also be a cause of vibration.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get under the front of the van and wiggle the harmonic balancer
Thanks, I do that periodically...just wondering if there's anything preventative I can do but it seems not...i really need to get dirty with this van but it's 90• right now

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Loose turbo shield. That little sucker can sure make one helluva panic-inducing racket. :JC-hysterical:

I ended up replacing mine. The bolt holes can wear so large that the nut just slips through, especially that one in the rear. Was going to use a larger washer under the nuts, but it's so cheap i just replaced the whole thing.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Loose turbo shield. That little sucker can sure make one helluva panic-inducing racket. :JC-hysterical:

I ended up replacing mine. The bolt holes can wear so large that the nut just slips through, especially that one in the rear. Was going to use a larger washer under the nuts, but it's so cheap i just replaced the whole thing.
lucky enough to get away with using the the washer method....LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The washer method is fine, but now you've got 3 nuts and up to 3 washers to keep track of whenever you take it off, instead of just the 3 nuts.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The washer method is fine, but now you've got 3 nuts and up to 3 washers to keep track of whenever you take it off, instead of just the 3 nuts.
My sprinter already has quite a collection of things dropped into the engine bay never to be seen again...