Advice for a 22 year old starting with van?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Hello again everyone.I'm actually not 22 until September, but I don't think I will actually get started until then.

I have decided I would like to go with a sprinter/cargo van. I have various reasons I put into choosing between that and a straight truck. I know a lot of you told me in a previous post to go with a ST over a van (even though most of you saying that are owner operators of vans oddly enough) but it is coming down to a lot of factors besides just how much money I can make. So with that in mind I would appreciate it if responses could be aligned with my question rather than convincing me not to get a van.

I have been driving TT's for about 6 months up until late march when my dad had to have some serious surgery so I ended up quitting to help him out until he recovered, now he's back on his feet. My plan originally was to go back to the same company I was with who I left on good terms with, but I started really thinking about all the things that I didn't like about it versus what I did, and I decided I didn't want to go back to it, and started thinking about the next move would be, happened to find out about expediting, and its pretty much trucking without 95% of what I didn't like, and most of what I loved, so that's the next thing I will pursue.

ANYWAYS, enough of the life story the point of my question, I'm looking for advice on getting into it with my age limitation. I would like to work for an owner or company, but from the (not extensive granted) research I've done, most places want me to be 23, any advice on anywhere I could begin at my age or should I just wait until im a little older? another thing im concerned with is any company where I would need to get my own insurance is probably going to be a lot higher at my age, also I have a small accident on my record that is almost 4 years old, is that old enough to not factor in on insurance or will I be paying out my ass?

And a few questions not related to age. One, im wondering if there is any DOT or FMCSA or whatever requirements about vans or if that's only stuff when you get into CMV's? And two, should I be finding a company that's based somewhat near my area/state? or is it kind of like trucking how where you live doesn't really matter, company could be based 1000 miles away you just take the van home on home time and leave out when the want you to? (not a question about getting home, I understand that's based on freight) also, I don't live in an area where there's going to be probably ever anything expediting, myrtle beach SC, but is it set up where, say when it was my time to get off home time and back to work that I could deadhead to more industrial areas like charlotte, Greenville, or Columbia?

Sorry for the book lol, would appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
My advice would be to stay with a TT. At 6 months in you are still at a point where it's very frustrating. You are at a point in life where you should be pursuing money to build yourself up and then worry about taking the easy gig later. This is coming from a TT driver so I'm not trying to keep you from stealing my freight.

Your age will be a big problem but that accident really shouldn't show up after 3 years. Keep driving a TT and focus on the things you like about it. One day you might find a really easy gig doing that which will pay 3-4 times what driving a van will pay.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
I understand where you are coming from, but I have my reasons why I don't wanna go back to that, that go beyond I just don't like it. Ill probably call around and see if I can get anything with it, if not im thinking ill just get into another line of work until I have enough saved to put a good down payment on a van and have operating costs covered for a while.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reason we vanners tell newbies to drive bigger trucks is because there are way too many vans out there. Imagine literally every kid on your block running a lemonade stand; you'd be lucky to get a dime a cup.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
The reason we vanners tell newbies to drive bigger trucks is because there are way too many vans out there. Imagine literally every kid on your block running a lemonade stand; you'd be lucky to get a dime a cup.
then I guess it would come down to who has the most passion for lemonade, and its my favorite drink.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A lemonade van perhaps? ........

full-sprinter_wraps-dels_frozen_lemonade_dallas.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
then I guess it would come down to who has the most passion for lemonade...
Nope. It really doesn't. The only thing the overwhelming majority of customers care about is the price. They don't care what it tastes like or how much passion you put into it, they're only going to use it to pour it on that little fire over there, anyway.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Nope. It really doesn't. The only thing the overwhelming majority of customers care about is the price. They don't care what it tastes like or how much passion you put into it, they're only going to use it to pour it on that little fire over there, anyway.
that wasn't really my point....im saying if there's "way too many vans" for everyone to make good money then you all must not be making a lot, its going to come down to how much you like the job wouldn't it? I mean why do you all stay doing this if there's all this crazy competition?

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Many of us discourage newbies because they have a false sense of what you can really make, and many that come into this are not aware of the worth of what we do so will run for peanuts. They tend to not know the true costs to have a reliable vehicle...I heard from another driver friend about how a guy he was talking to was bragging that he was doing 4000-5000 miles a week at $.50 / mile to the truck. He said his best take home after fuel was $1,370. That is not realistic to sustain long term business.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, a lot of us are getting out. We've had recent posts from long time expediters saying they're getting out. Some because it's no longer worth it, but in particular those who are faced with it being the time up upgrade to a new vehicle and knowing that is simply not financially feasible to lay out that kind of money for a new vehicle and to outfit it for expediting. They know how easy it is even in good times to suddenly find yourself behind in relentless bank payments, and they don't want anything to do with it during bad times.

Those of us who are staying in it have been doing this for a long time and know how to work the system and manage things to deal with the down times, and most of us learned that hard lesson in 2008, which was a time that took out a snotload expediters.

10 and 15 years ago when things are good, and I mean really, really good, fifty percent of expediters who entered this business with a van were gone within a year, most not even lasting 6 months. Right now it's much worse.

People don't realize that we do 5 years worth of maintenance on our vehicles every year out here. It's an ongoing, never ending thing, and you can't wait until something breaks before fixing it. You have to be out in front of it and fix it before it breaks. It reaches up and slaps people in 6 months or a year and they're totally unprepared for it. Suddenly new brakes or an alternator puts you out of this business, because they don't know their Cost Per Mile and they've been running for rates where they are operating at a loss.

The Rule of Thirds is pretty unforgiving. In the example above at $1370 take-home after fuel isn't even close to the actual take-home. There are other operating expenses beyond fuel. Then a third goes to the truck, you get whatever is left for your third. When rates go below 70 cents your third becomes more like 20% or less.

If your CPM is 45 cents, and you run for 50 cents, then your third is literally 5 cents. But of course you'll take more than that, cause you gotta eat and pay the cell phone bill. You can do that for a little while, a few loads here and there. But it'll catch up to you, and now you need a new radiator and wheel bearings and ball joints and new tires and a water pump and you're screwed.

Everybody thinks they're going to be the exception, they'll do fine. But they invariably overestimate what they will make, usually by about double, and they underestimate their costs, usually by half.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
...its going to come down to how much you like the job wouldn't it? I mean why do you all stay doing this if there's all this crazy competition?

Actually no. For me, I love expediting. But blind love didn't stop me from sending out 8 resumes yesterday hoping to get out of the business. Blind love lies, financials don't.

The writing has been on the wall for some time. I chose to ignore it, hoping for a turn around. For all the reasons that Turtle has already stated, I can no longer continue on this path with the current state of the industry. So yes, I may still be expediting for now, but different wheels are definitely in motion.

Reactions: Moot and Turtle

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many of us discourage newbies because they have a false sense of what you can really make, and many that come into this are not aware of the worth of what we do so will run for peanuts. They tend to not know the true costs to have a reliable vehicle...I heard from another driver friend about how a guy he was talking to was bragging that he was doing 4000-5000 miles a week at $.50 / mile to the truck. He said his best take home after fuel was $1,370. That is not realistic to sustain long term business.
Or health.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello again everyone.I'm actually not 22 until September, but I don't think I will actually get started until then.

I have decided I would like to go with a sprinter/cargo van.

I have been driving TT's for about 6 months

Cheese and crackers, gull dern kids now a days. 6 months in a tractor/trailer and the OP thinks he/she can just waltz right into being a van driver. Ain't you kids never heared of paying your dues? I spent 20 years in a tractor/trailer working my way up to van ownership. 7 or 8 of those years were in cabovers without any of that fancy high tech stuff like power steering, air conditioning and automatic transmissions. You kids with your video games, mechanical pencils and yoga mats don't know what hard work is. If you are ever in my neighborhood, stay the hell off my lawn, I just mowed it!

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Cheese and crackers, gull dern kids now a days. 6 months in a tractor/trailer and the OP thinks he/she can just waltz right into being a van driver. Ain't you kids never heared of paying your dues? I spent 20 years in a tractor/trailer working my way up to van ownership. 7 or 8 of those years were in cabovers without any of that fancy high tech stuff like power steering, air conditioning and automatic transmissions. You kids with your video games, mechanical pencils and yoga mats don't know what hard work is. If you are ever in my neighborhood, stay the hell off my lawn, I just mowed it!
Did about 15 years, 10 of them over the road, then did 5 yrs regional or local...in van/reefer/flatbed...then Dump Truck followed by Dump trailer. tried to go back to working a "real job". Left after 6 months. Drove for a fleet owner for 14 months then bought my Promaster. Put about 33% down, can pay it off if I need to. Knew going in to this that worst case scenario I pay it off and convert it to an RV.

My company doesn't offer freight below my contracted rate (so far). But that is also why I pay attention to miles ran and not so much what rate. I also still can go back into a tractor. Main reason I'm not in a tractor is my father can run with me if he wants in this. (He has class B and is retired after 43 yrs at same company) Also am not married, and my father is most all of the family I have left.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

Videodrome

Seasoned Expediter
I drove truck for PAM Transport for 2 years and tried Tri-State for 6 months. After that, I tried going back to school and got a 2 year degree in computers, but I've had a hard time getting into IT or getting steady work where I live.

I've been talking to a fleetowner who runs vans with Panther. Maybe instead I should try going back to PAM or another large trucking company?

I was hoping to avoid the headaches that come with trucking like the shortage of parking.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I drove truck for PAM Transport for 2 years and tried Tri-State for 6 months. After that, I tried going back to school and got a 2 year degree in computers, but I've had a hard time getting into IT or getting steady work where I live.

I've been talking to a fleetowner who runs vans with Panther. Maybe instead I should try going back to PAM or another large trucking company?

I was hoping to avoid the headaches that come with trucking like the shortage of parking.

It's going to be very hard to make money with a fleet owner. I was actually going to try this so that I could save up enough money to get a new Promaster. I ended up buying an older van (but it did not work out for medical reasons). It is hard to make money after splitting money with an owner and paying for fuel (but only in these current times)! If this was 2005 when my friend Phillip used to clear 3k every two weeks after fuel, I would say go for it! You would actually be making more money back then driving for a fleet owner than you would driving a company tractor trailer. If you're getting 2500 to 3000 miles a week, even at 60 CPM on your cut, you would still be banking money big time. The problem is that you will be sitting too much to average that kind of money right now. With a computer science degree, why not try and find a government job with good benefits and a pension? I used to drive vans because I suffer from social anxiety and prefer to work alone. If you are all good health wise, why not aim higher than a cargo van? Also, with a college degree and driving experience, you can perform any job at one of the bigger trucking companies. You can even become a terminal manager. All terminal managers must have tractor trailer experience. I have seen a CEO on "Undercover Boss" who rose to CEO on merely a 2 year community college degree. That degree you have is like a gold card. You have real world experience and a college education. You need to start marketing yourself better. Also, you might have to re-locate in order to find employment. Don't limit yourself to the van. That is my advice for you. But if you still want to drive a van, just make sure you find a good, decent, and honest owner. Good luck!

Reactions: RoadTime