Big Truck I work on Hino trucks. I'll answer any questions I know the answers to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
We have a 2010 258LP-10 Flatbed tow truck w/ Allison transmission. It went into limp mode, we were able to get it to a shop next door to us, he is limited on his software, but was able to pull a hard fault code for Shift Solenoid #3 open / stuck. We don't know what the exact code was and we believe it is stuck in 3rd gear.

Wondering if there is a wiring diagram available or any thoughts on what's going on / what to do.
The internal mode switch tells it if its in gear, based on pressure in various passages. Metal particles get in switch and cause a connection at bad times.

Without having done a bit of research, I'd tell you to replace the IMS, the internal harness, and both filters. Make sure donut magnet is on spin on filter.

AutoFixers

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
The internal mode switch tells it if its in gear, based on pressure in various passages. Metal particles get in switch and cause a connection at bad times.

Without having done a bit of research, I'd tell you to replace the IMS, the internal harness, and both filters. Make sure donut magnet is on spin on filter.

I will consult with my technician and see what we can come up with. Thank you again for your response.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
I will consult with my technician and see what we can come up with. Thank you again for your response.
I'd expect to see a bit more steel particles since this is a rollback with a pto. If thr donut magnet is missing, even more so. They get lost frequently.
You can test IMS if you remove it. Drain trans, save fluid if it's good. Remove pan, filter, IMS. Its the flat plate looking thing. Youll see hydraulic switches on it. Put a multimeter on the kohm scale, figure out which terminals go to each switch. They might have common ground. Press membrane with pencil eraser. There should be either infinite resistance, or none when turning switch on and off. If you get something dumb like 300 ohms or 2.5kohms or anything, there's junk on the switch contacys confusing the tcm.
When replacing, torque bolts to 100 lb/in.

How do you ramp up the engine rpm when using the pto? If you say the idle up knob, you're not experiencing nearly the performance you should. You should be able to pick up a Ford Excursion full of bricks without too much hassle. Not possible with idle knob.

Last edited:
Reactions: AutoFixers

AutoFixers

New Recruit
Fleet Owner
Thanks for the great information, we have not had a chance to check hydraulics and the truck was empty at time of failure. We can check that tomorrow as well as asking the tow dept how they ramp up the rpm's.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Thanks for the great information, we have not had a chance to check hydraulics and the truck was empty at time of failure. We can check that tomorrow as well as asking the tow dept how they ramp up the rpm's.
Brick on the gas pedal is also unacceptable. The different pto boxes on Hino rollbacks tend to be limited to the 1200 rpm range. Sure, when run faster than that the bed works fantastically well, but the pto will eventually grenade, throwing metal into a $6000 transmission.

The engine ecu has two pto inputs, and if one is wired up to the pto switch, the engine can immediately ramp up to whatever rpm is programmed into the ecm. This takes an hour or two worth of wiring a relay to the pto controls and ecu inputs, and then Hino diagnostic software is used to set the rpm.

What you end up with is the ability to back up to a car, put it in park, hit the pto switch (or shift it, if air controlled) and as soon as the pressure or position switch on the pto box clicks, immediate ramping of rpm and all the power the engine is capable of making at that speed is funneled into the hydraulic pump.

Of the dozens of rollbacks I've worked on, Ive only seen one set up to do this. All the others were not, the beds are all sluggish and weak. After this mod, there's nothing but positive feedback from the drivers. When tow companies have more than one Hino and have one modified, the rest soon follow.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Ok got my injectors here are the pics

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1463860936.386735.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1463860950.892671.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1463860964.013422.jpg

They look pretty good, will see what happens when I install them.

wheelcheck

Active Expediter
Hey Greasy,

I have a 2006 338 that keeps ripping the studs out of the front brake chambers. It will also occasionally snap the chamber bracket in half. I put all new brackets chambers and slack adjusters on it, front and rear. Just yesterday I noticed it ripped the studs out of the brake chambers in the front again. Any ideas? I'm using after market type 20 service chambers,

Thanks,
Chris

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Hey Greasy,

I have a 2006 338 that keeps ripping the studs out of the front brake chambers. It will also occasionally snap the chamber bracket in half. I put all new brackets chambers and slack adjusters on it, front and rear. Just yesterday I noticed it ripped the studs out of the brake chambers in the front again. Any ideas? I'm using after market type 20 service chambers,

Thanks,
Chris
I think your driver is taking it off some sweet jumps.

Seriously, wth. I've only seen that happen on badly rusted ones. Is braking performance otherwise normal? What psi does the governor unload the compressor? I need more information.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here is a pic of the new injector next to the old one:

ImageUploadedByEO Forums1464140170.851539.jpg

Hopefully the difference in numbers are the revision, and that the new ones are the latest ones.

Reactions: greasytshirt

altaski1

New Recruit
Can you tell me the differences between a 2015 hino 258LP and a 2016 and a 2017?
I am a body company and I can not answer my customers when they ask this.

Thanks

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Can you tell me the differences between a 2015 hino 258LP and a 2016 and a 2017?
I am a body company and I can not answer my customers when they ask this.

Thanks
Good question. Fundamentally they are the same. Theres generally a bulletin that's released explaining the differences, but I dont recall seeing one.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The manual shows 18ft pounds torque on the injector hold down bolts is that right? Seems to low, and 115 inch pounds for the fuel return pipe? I see the error in the manual 91 ft pounds ouch.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wow what a difference the injectors are not coded into the ecm yet and the engine runs as smooth as can be and even sounds different.

Know of any place that might want to buy the old one?

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
Wow what a difference the injectors are not coded into the ecm yet and the engine runs as smooth as can be and even sounds different.

Know of any place that might want to buy the old one?
They are worth about $200 each as cores. Idk anyone rebuilding them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.